CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

59 minutes ago, lolex said:

How long before expiry apply extension.

I've seen mention of this, but couldn't find anything definitive.

How many days before expiry can you apply for a new extension of stay?

Are there any draw backs in applying early?

Is the O-A and marriage extension the same?

Any other hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks....

45 days

No

I believe so but not sure.

Check and re check and then check again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, RJRS1301 said:

On 9/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, connda said:

On 9/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, legend49 said:

3 hours ago, lolex said:

How long before expiry apply extension.

I've seen mention of this, but couldn't find anything definitive.

How many days before expiry can you apply for a new extension of stay?

Are there any draw backs in applying early?

Is the O-A and marriage extension the same?

Any other hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks....

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

12 hours ago, Kelsall said:

OT, but why did you abandon your plans to retire in Malaysia?

I've discussed this on other threads, but will summarize here.  We went so far as to collect all the documents needed and Hubby applied for the MM2H 10 year visas in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah state without using an agent since every agent we contacted quoted the legal max fee even though all our documents were already in English (the required documents filled a big notebook).  Hubby found Malaysian Immigration to be very accommodating -- none of the nit-picking like you find here "should have signed in blue ink", "copy passport pages in portrait, not landscape", etc.  Everything in our notebook was A-OK and the next step was to open a local bank account.

There, Hubby found that no local bank wanted to open an account for Americans. They didn't want to do the reporting the U.S. gov't requires.  Finally, Hubby mentioned we have Thai bank accounts and the story changed.  No problem, they'd open accounts as if we were Thai and we'd transfer money in through our Thai accounts.  I called our U.S. credit union to see if this was legal and they pointed out the requirement to report overseas bank accounts to the US gov't was our responsibility, not the banks, so yes it was legal, just not a very cost effective way to move money.

But, a week or so before Hubby went to apply for the MM2H visas we attended a seminar in Chiang Mai conducted by a U.S. tax accountant who worked in Bangkok.  It was about the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and how it handles U.S. sourced retirement income, specifically private pensions and 401k/IRA sourced income.  As a result of this seminar, we had the accountant file amended for the previous three years and we received very nice refunds from the IRS.  There isn't a tax treaty between the U.S. and Malaysia and the tax savings is great enough that it caused us to rethink our plan to move to Malaysia.  

25 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tracyb said:

On 9/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, NancyL said:

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

Is 45 days inclusive of the expiry date ?

Does immigration open during weekends for retirement extension?

Applied for a retirement extension today.

Arrived at office at 9:00.  Received queue number R13, R11 was being processed

15 minute wait before seeing immigration officer at counter 8.

Presented my papers.  Officer asked for copies of the TM30 and 90 day receipts (never been asked for copies of those before, but had them in case they were needed).

Signed a few papers, had my photo taken, told to wait for return of passport at 9:25.

Received passport with new extension 10:15.

Such a big improvement on the chaos of last year.  If only they could only improve the waiting time to get the passport back, but it's better than some other offices where you have to return the following day.

1 hour ago, delboy said:

Such a big improvement on the chaos of last year.  If only they could only improve the waiting time to get the passport back, but it's better than some other offices where you have to return the following day.

I don't remember any chaos of last year.

The only thing I do remember of past yearS were waking up at 5 am in the morning and queuing up at Promenada only to get back my passport at noon time or later.

1 hour ago, delboy said:

Snip

Presented my papers.  Officer asked for copies of the TM30 and 90 day receipts (never been asked for copies of those before, but had them in case they were needed).

Two copies?  Sounds like they may be starting to be a bit difficult again, asking for things people probably won't have.  I hope not, things have been so much better since Big Joke shook things up.

16 minutes ago, Konini said:

Two copies?  Sounds like they may be starting to be a bit difficult again, asking for things people probably won't have.  I hope not, things have been so much better since Big Joke shook things up.

Don't believe he meant two copies. Helped a friend with her extension in June. One copy. Just like mine in January, but I do make a complete set of the passport that includes TM30 and last 90 day as they are required two be stapled in. 

19 hours ago, delboy said:

Applied for a retirement extension today.

Arrived at office at 9:00.  Received queue number R13, R11 was being processed

15 minute wait before seeing immigration officer at counter 8.

Signed a few papers, had my photo taken, told to wait for return of passport at 9:25.

Received passport with new extension 10:15.

The improvement in waiting time is due to the mass exodus of western expats fed up with immigrations latest restrictions to live here.

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The improvement in waiting time is due to the mass exodus of western expats fed up with immigrations latest restrictions

Not a serious problem for many of us, but I doubt I could have come to Thailand 14 years ago if they were that picky. My guess is that it will hurt Thailand more than it will help, but might help us long timers more than it hurts. There are a few other things about Thailand that may end up forcing me to leave, but hopefully not because I've been really happy here. 

On 9/13/2019 at 1:10 PM, Tracyb said:

I went to CM IMM yesterday, Thursday, for my retirement extension.  I had tried to get a queue number the day before, Wednesday around 10:00, but I was politely denied as they were overflowing with people and were accepting no more.  I was advised to return the next day before 7:00  

Here are the details of my experience which I'm offering in hopes that it may assist others who follow.

I arrived at 6:20 with plenty of parking available, found about 25 people already there inside, and was ushered to a seat that represented my place in the queue by a woman in street clothes who took charge of keeping order.  She was strict but friendly, kept an eagle eye on the door, and assured that every arrival took their appropriate place in the queue.  IO's showed up and started checking documents and handing out queue numbers around 7:00. We were herded into the line-up for queue numbers by our "minder."  Several people entered the building while the line-up was taking place and tried to cut in line.  They were spied by "minder," appropriately chastised, and shown to their appropriate place at the end of the line; much to the appreciation of all of us who had arrived earlier!

I drew Queue #R6 for the retirement extension.  The IO at counter #6 arrived around 7:40 and began calling queue numbers around 8:00.  My number was called at 9:10.  I used the "800K in the bank" method this year.     I deposited the funds into my own account, not a joint account, 3 months ahead of time.  (Although I understand they accept two months ahead as being ok, I'm not one to take any chances!)  I had used the income method with embassy letter for the past five years.

Here's what I submitted:

-Application form TM7.

-A 4cmx6cm passport photo with a white background.

-A copy of every page in my passport that had information or a stamp on it, as requested.

-The "Bank Letter" I obtained from Bangkok Bank the day before. (it's valid for 7 days according to CM IMM)

-A Bank statement showing all activity in the account for the past 6 months.

-A copy of every page of my passbook which I updated on my way to CM IMM early, very early, in the morning.

-A copy of my lease.

-A copy of my last 90 day report

-A copy of my TM30.

I signed each and every page using a blue ink pen.

I was forty-three days ahead of the expiration of my previous retirement extension.

The IO checked every page, stamped the extension into my passport, took my picture and then my 1900 Baht, and asked me to be seated while waiting for the return of my passport.  I asked how long it might take to get it returned and he answered, "30 Minutes or sooner!"  I had it back in my hand with the cash receipt by 9:30.

I went across the street to get a copy of the new permission to stay stamp and returned for my re-entry permit.

I presented my documents to the queue assigner who checked them over and handed me queue number RE17 for the re-entry permit  I was the next in line as RE16 had just been called.  Two minutes later I handed over my passport and documents for the multiple re-entry permit, paid my 3800 Baht, took a seat and waited for five minutes to get my passport and cash receipt back in my hand.

Done and dusted by 9:50.  A far cry from the absurdly painful experience at Promenada last year. 

Yes, thanks for this, Tracyb. Your report made me copy more passport pages than previously too, all of which were accepted (none returned as sometimes happens) yesterday.

After seeing that you took a copy of your lease, I also took a letter from my wife/landlady (and tabian ban copy) just in case (literally) but these were not asked for by the IO. 

I arrived about 07.45 and completed the retirement extension and re-entry processes before 09.30. Excellent progress. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 45 days before extension date rolls around this weekend. My money has been seasoning for more than two months. A couple questions as I have not done it this way before. Besides my other documents, I go to my bank and get;

1) Bank letter, (valid for 7 days)

2) A bank statements showing all activity in the account. In my case for three months  since I opened the account. ---------------------- I get these two from the Bank, the day before then 

I also need:

3) “A copy of every page of my passbook which I updated on my way to CM IMM early, very early, in the morning.” ---- copy from tracyb-----

That last one, I am not for sure exactly how I go about getting it. I have been told I need that done on the same day I submit my application/renewal docs.  Now just to be clear -  that is where you make a deposit or withdrawal on your account, showing activity (?) And then make copies of every page of the bank book. This is done on the same day I make my application??

If that is so, I have to wait until the bank opens, and then make copies at a copy shop when it opens. This will put me at Immigration at about 930-10 o’clock in the morning. At the earliest.  

My questions – Are all of the above steps correct for the 800K method? And regarding step 3. Is there any way to do that so I can get to immigration earlier than say 930??  I also realize I need to bring my updated bank book with me besides the copies to the IO.

Any help, advice, directions, appreciated.

Thank You.

22 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

.....3) “A copy of every page of my passbook which I updated on my way to CM IMM early, very early, in the morning.” ---- copy from tracyb-----

That last one, I am not for sure exactly how I go about getting it. I have been told I need that done on the same day I submit my application/renewal docs.  Now just to be clear -  that is where you make a deposit or withdrawal on your account, showing activity (?) And then make copies of every page of the bank book. This is done on the same day I make my application??

If that is so, I have to wait until the bank opens, and then make copies at a copy shop when it opens. This will put me at Immigration at about 930-10 o’clock in the morning. At the earliest.  

My questions – Are all of the above steps correct for the 800K method? And regarding step 3. Is there any way to do that so I can get to immigration earlier than say 930??  I also realize I need to bring my updated bank book with me besides the copies to the IO.

Any help, advice, directions, appreciated.

Thank You.

I keep the 800k in a dedicated account (term account...usually for 10-13 months per term) at Siam Commercial Bank and that passbook cannot be updated regardless of whether I or a bank teller sticks the passbook in the machine.  When I obtained the new-one year extension a few months back, I simply presented the bank letter and a copy of the passbook (which showed that the current term began in December of 2018) and there was no question or issue about any updating.

However, from what I gather from some posts, some people have claimed that they've been required to update the passbook the day of application and I believe that most or all of these involve people who have kept their 800k in a regular savings account that is able to be updated (and able to be altered by small deposit or withdrawal) on the day of application.  If posters have personal experience with this issue at CM Immigration (please don't post here about Nakorn Nowhere), please advise.

I'd also note that based on recent experiences of friends, you really don't need to get to Immigration early any more.  Some....even for annual extensions....have gone in the early afternoon and been out of there in less than an hour.  I arrived for my annual extension at 11:05 and was finished (including a new re-entry permit) at 12:25PM....not too shabby.  

Based on some reports, you might want to avoid going out there on the day before or after a Thai holiday (one where Immigration is closed) as the office could be very busy. 

10 hours ago, CMBob said:

I keep the 800k in a dedicated account (term account...usually for 10-13 months per term) at Siam Commercial Bank and that passbook cannot be updated regardless of whether I or a bank teller sticks the passbook in the machine.  When I obtained the new-one year extension a few months back, I simply presented the bank letter and a copy of the passbook (which showed that the current term began in December of 2018) and there was no question or issue about any updating.

However, from what I gather from some posts, some people have claimed that they've been required to update the passbook the day of application and I believe that most or all of these involve people who have kept their 800k in a regular savings account that is able to be updated (and able to be altered by small deposit or withdrawal) on the day of application.  If posters have personal experience with this issue at CM Immigration (please don't post here about Nakorn Nowhere), please advise.

I'd also note that based on recent experiences of friends, you really don't need to get to Immigration early any more.  Some....even for annual extensions....have gone in the early afternoon and been out of there in less than an hour.  I arrived for my annual extension at 11:05 and was finished (including a new re-entry permit) at 12:25PM....not too shabby.  

Based on some reports, you might want to avoid going out there on the day before or after a Thai holiday (one where Immigration is closed) as the office could be very busy. 

When I renewed my extension of stay based on retirement in May earlier this year, I was told by the IO processing my extension that an update to my fixed deposit account passbook was not required- just the bank letter- as his rationale was that so long as the term of the deposit account had not expired, the account holder wouldn't be withdrawing any funds prior to application for the extension; the bank letter attesting to the minimum (or more) amount of 800K was sufficient.

When I got my retirement extension at CM last month, I got my bank letter on my way to the Immigration Office, the lovely lady even provided me with a photocopy of the updated page in my bank book, although there is a photocopy shop opposite Immigration, if needed.  I did not get a bank statement, and the officer didn't ask for one.

For 12 yrs have always got the bank letter and photocopies of relevant pages from the passbook the day before. Never been queried.

It's a fixed 800,000 b account which I just roll over every year taking out only interest earned

Imm officers don't seem to understand, with fixed term deposits, you can actually withdraw the money at any time you just lose all interest gained if it hasn't reached its expiry term date.

3 hours ago, delboy said:

When I got my retirement extension at CM last month, I got my bank letter on my way to the Immigration Office, the lovely lady even provided me with a photocopy of the updated page in my bank book, although there is a photocopy shop opposite Immigration, if needed.  I did not get a bank statement, and the officer didn't ask for one.

What does this "bank letter" show/state, and how is it different to a "bank statement".

Need some help please.  I went to the visa agent to get an extension of my retirement visa.  I brought a printout of my Bangkok bank account showing all my international transfers.  The agent said the printout was not enough and I needed a bank letter and a Social Security letter.  I went to my Bangkok Bank in Maejo and they told me they do not give bank letters as requested by immigration they do not have the program.  Question to members, what Bangkok Branch did you use to get that letter?

29 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Need some help please.  I went to the visa agent to get an extension of my retirement visa.  I brought a printout of my Bangkok bank account showing all my international transfers.  The agent said the printout was not enough and I needed a bank letter and a Social Security letter.  I went to my Bangkok Bank in Maejo and they told me they do not give bank letters as requested by immigration they do not have the program.  Question to members, what Bangkok Branch did you use to get that letter?

These days bank letters are always required. I've always gotten mine at the Hang Dong intersection BIg C branch, no hassle. Would guess any branch in Chiang Mai would do it.

9 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

I appreciate the answers.   Another questionIf my MaeJo branch won't issue a letter,  Can I bring my bank book and printout and go to Kad Suan Kaew and get the letter ?

You should be able to. I had always used my BBK branch in Bangkok for my international transfers. With all the changes I decided to change branches. I didn't close my Bangkok branch, but opened a new account with BBK in Mee Chok plaza in June. They did my letter for me and I used it to get my retirement extension. They told me any Bangkok Bank branch can do the letter, even if it is not your branch. I did have to wait 5 business days for the letter. 

11 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

I appreciate the answers.   Another questionIf my MaeJo branch won't issue a letter,  Can I bring my bank book and printout and go to Kad Suan Kaew and get the letter ?

Hi, I suggest you go back to the Maejo branch and ask again, as I got my letter there just two weeks ago. Previously I got it at the Thapae main branch, where I had opened the account, but this year I thought I would try the local branch in Maejo. I asked the teller girl and she produced it without question in five minutes. There is often someone by the door to greet customers, they should be able to assist you. 

15 hours ago, davehowden said:

What does this "bank letter" show/state, and how is it different to a "bank statement".

The "bank letter" is simply a letter from the bank which, in Thai, verifies that you have the account and there is "x" amount in it.  So far, I've not heard anything about banks changing the format of their standard letter which they have on their computers (perhaps at some point they'll change the letter to discuss a bit more about the history of the account, e.g., that 800k baht has been in there for 60+ days or so).

"Bank statements" (at least how most people are using that term) simply means photocopies of one's passbook (which, of course, like all copies, you must place your signature).

Archived