CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Does immigration provide express service for residence cert these days at the new building?

I mean immigration could provide two services , one free and one with a fee.

It is free if you are willing to wait 4-5 weeks for it. 1000 baht if you want 1-2 day service.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

It is free if you are willing to wait 4-5 weeks for it. 1000 baht if you want 1-2 day service.

So the money goes to immigration dept rather than the agents and some officers' pockets.

That's good. 

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

So the money goes to immigration dept rather than the agents and some officers' pockets.

That's good. 

Er no, the residence certificates are free via immigration if you are prepared to wait.

Walk across the road with cash in hand and it is done in less than 24 hours.

I just went looking for a residence certificate  - my first visit to Immigration at Airport.

Information directed me to the residence certificate desk and a very pleasant lady there checked my papers. Everything seemed to be in order and she accepted them. But I will get the certificate next month on the 18th.

Another person was not so lucky. His visa was issued in Bangkok and he was refused a certificate. The visa has to be issued in Chiang Mai to get one.

No one asked for any money and the transaction was in a friendly atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Wandr said:

I just went looking for a residence certificate  - my first visit to Immigration at Airport.

Information directed me to the residence certificate desk and a very pleasant lady there checked my papers. Everything seemed to be in order and she accepted them. But I will get the certificate next month on the 18th.

Another person was not so lucky. His visa was issued in Bangkok and he was refused a certificate. The visa has to be issued in Chiang Mai to get one.

Money is only involved if you want it quickly and it's not paid directly to immigration.

10 hours ago, Wandr said:

That's more than 5 weeks. It has gone from bad to worse. I got mine in 4 weeks.

Different officers there will require different documents.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:41 PM, YogaVeg said:

Apologies, it's hard to keep track of who said what, I do appreciate your advice.

I'll be in a different accomodation the day I file, so haven't got to that point yet.

I just had a thought, those renters who wish to attract foreign money could advertise "hassle-free TM30 filing" on their listings to appease the nervous folks like myself!

I was at the US Consulate a few days ago for my last income letter and decided to bite the bullet and got the Consulate letter of residency, I find it interesting no one ever complains about 50 dollars for a little stamp but carry on like the end of the world is around the cornor when some one pays 1000b for a expidited certificate from Thai immigration. OOO silly me for got the word Thai makes all the difference to some. Got what I needed no hassel no mess paid the price

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

I was at the US Consulate a few days ago for my last income letter and decided to bite the bullet and got the Consulate letter of residency, I find it interesting no one ever complains about 50 dollars for a little stamp but carry on like the end of the world is around the cornor when some one pays 1000b for a expidited certificate from Thai immigration. Got what I needed no hassel no mess paid the price

Given the overall moderate costs of living in Thailand and wonderful culture, these are nibbles I also take in stride; however, I've been caught up in six years of legal battles due to fraudulent charges against my ex wife and then my wife. The court system is terribly incompetent and the attorneys as well ignorant of standard legal procedures but bent on squeezing cash for doing almost nothing. My wife was threatened with five years in prison and loss of her pension unless she coughed up an additional 2 million baht. After five years I finally pushed the evidence and proof before the court proving her innocent, but she was unable to recover a million baht (and million tears) they'd wrung out of her already. During all this time a dozen or so felonies were committed but despite tough laws nobody is ever prosecuted, so you have no protection. Try to keep clear of trouble in Thailand especially if not fluent in Thai because you're a sitting duck. Oh, when needing my residency certificate 14 years ago all I did was go to a separate building next to the old parking lot with my rental agreement. Can't remember any wait or any payment, but things change. Since then the yellow book has been sufficient.

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

I was at the US Consulate a few days ago for my last income letter and decided to bite the bullet and got the Consulate letter of residency, I find it interesting no one ever complains about 50 dollars for a little stamp but carry on like the end of the world is around the cornor when some one pays 1000b for a expidited certificate from Thai immigration. OOO silly me for got the word Thai makes all the difference to some. Got what I needed no hassel no mess paid the price

Plenty of people complain about the $50 charge for a notary stamp and the U.S. Consulate when in the U.S. you can obtain a notary stamp for free or just a $5 or $10 charge from many sources like a local law office, bank, etc.  

The difference between the $50 charge at the Consulate vs. 1000 baht to Immigration is that the $50 fee is clearly posted at the Consulate, you get a receipt and all the money goes to the U.S. gov't, not the pocket of an individual.  Also, during the times when the lawmakers in Washington go into gridlock and shut down the U.S. gov't, the Consulate continues to offer consular services, using the $50 notary fees to keep the lights on and the salaries paid here in Chiang Mai instead of giving themselves a holiday.

Just a point of interest. I live 200 kms from Chiang Mai Immigration but we have a closer office at Fang, dealing mainly with Burmese immigrant workers, which will do 90 day reports but not visa extensions. Yesterday afternoon a pick-up with 4 uniformed immigration officers arrived at my house suggesting I was overstayed. They had what looked like a computer print out list of every foreigner in the area. They didn't give me any facts about where my overstay was notified from, seemed more concerned to see my wife was also here, that we actually lived at this address and we were not running a business. No complaints, they were polite doing their job but they were wring about the overstay, thankfully. 

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Annual Extension based on marriage to a Thai: I went earlier this week, arrived at 1025 and out 2 hours later. Well done to all at the new airport branch and keep up the good work.

Was able to park outside too.

Thanks for the update.

56 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Plenty of people complain about the $50 charge for a notary stamp and the U.S. Consulate when in the U.S. you can obtain a notary stamp for free or just a $5 or $10 charge from many sources like a local law office, bank, etc.  

The difference between the $50 charge at the Consulate vs. 1000 baht to Immigration is that the $50 fee is clearly posted at the Consulate, you get a receipt and all the money goes to the U.S. gov't, not the pocket of an individual.  Also, during the times when the lawmakers in Washington go into gridlock and shut down the U.S. gov't, the Consulate continues to offer consular services, using the $50 notary fees to keep the lights on and the salaries paid here in Chiang Mai instead of giving themselves a holiday.

Doesit really matter where the money goes if you need the form you need it but the airfare back to america will not make the 10 dollar notary fee worth the trip.

28 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Just a point of interest. I live 200 kms from Chiang Mai Immigration but we have a closer office at Fang, dealing mainly with Burmese immigrant workers, which will do 90 day reports but not visa extensions. Yesterday afternoon a pick-up with 4 uniformed immigration officers arrived at my house suggesting I was overstayed. They had what looked like a computer print out list of every foreigner in the area. They didn't give me any facts about where my overstay was notified from, seemed more concerned to see my wife was also here, that we actually lived at this address and we were not running a business. No complaints, they were polite doing their job but they were wring about the overstay, thankfully. 

Scary. Glad it turned out ok. 

35 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:00 PM, moe666 said:

has any one done an extension of stay using their last letter of income and then asked what hoops we will have to jump thru next year. Interested to know as I am sure many are

That loophole is closed.

Has it already been noticed (?) that the Chiang Mai immigration office is now:

Opened from 6 AM to 8 PM (6:00 to 20:00h)

Monday to Friday

Published on the website on Oct 30 (in Thai language only :dry:) and found in a German language forum.

I tried to find in the multitude of threads and posts to no avail.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Has it already been noticed (?) that the Chiang Mai immigration office is now:

Opened from 6 AM to 8 PM (6:00 to 20:00h)

Monday to Friday

Published on the website on Oct 30 (in Thai language only :dry:) and found in a German language forum.

I tried to find in the multitude of threads and posts to no avail.

Three weeks now? Appears to be BJ's influence. Can see it changing as time goes by, we will see.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Q: Has it already been noticed (?) that the Chiang Mai immigration office is now: Opened from 6 AM to 8 PM (6:00 to 20:00h) Monday to Friday

A: Three weeks now? Appears to be BJ's influence. Can see it changing as time goes by, we will see.

Find that hard to believe. Mon to Fri or Mon through Fri? Is someone cracking a whip, paying overtime or hiring new blood?

9 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Find that hard to believe. Mon to Fri or Mon through Fri? Is someone cracking a whip, paying overtime or hiring new blood?

Through Fri

Previously reported

perhaps open until 8pm only if needed to finish processing the queue, it was mentioned but?

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Three weeks now? Appears to be BJ's influence. Can see it changing as time goes by, we will see.

I was there this week and an Immigration officer mentioned that those were the hours now. Not sure if it will be a long term thing though. It seemed to be the same staff, not two different work shifts.

14 hours ago, cusanus said:

Mon to Fri or Mon through Fri?

Monday through Friday (English is not my first language).

Google translate does a pretty good job here.

Screenshot of website translation:

(text in the lower part is in an image)

cmimmiopen.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 8:41 PM, SiamAndy said:

I was there this week and an Immigration officer mentioned that those were the hours now. Not sure if it will be a long term thing though. It seemed to be the same staff, not two different work shifts.

I can't imagine any Thai staff working from 6 am to 8 pm. That's 14 hours.

It is most probably two shifts of people.

The Thai staff in my neighbourhood start work at 9 am and go home at 5 pm sharp. 

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I can't imagine any Thai staff working from 6 am to 8 pm. That's 14 hours.

It is most probably two shifts of people.

The Thai staff in my neighbourhood start work at 9 am and go home at 5 pm sharp. 

I was there in the morning and then I had to go back home to get additional documents that they requested. I came back in the afternoon a few hours later and had to sit and wait about another hour and a half to be seen again. By the time I left it was almost 6PM and the staff there were the same people I saw in the morning.

Archived