CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

37 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I don't think you'll be charged with "overstay" for failure to have a TM30 on file before filing an application for a retirement extension, but rather you'll be fined even though it's the responsibility of the home owner to file the TM30.  1600 baht seems to be the standard fine in Chiang Mai, although they impose a larger fine.

Was at least two years ago I found out about it and ran down and paid the 1600 baht fine. Maybe you got lucky. For 10+ years before there was no mention ever, nobody did it, but it was always the law. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Was at least two years ago I found out about it and ran down and paid the 1600 baht fine. Maybe you got lucky. For 10+ years before there was no mention ever, nobody did it, but it was always the law. 

When my landlords found out about TM30 being enforced they went down and paid the fine. They were aware it was their responsibility.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:21 AM, SiamAndy said:

Thank you to all who replied!  I did talk to an agent who confirmed that a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant O can currently be done at CM immigration. With possible changes afoot I do plan to open a Thai bank account, but right now it is a catch 22 situation as 3 of the biggest banks here (at KSK and Maya) that I asked require a Non Imm O visa (among other things) to open a bank account.

So based on what Nancy mentioned, One original affidavit should be enough for both the application for the 90 day Non Immigrant O and the subsequent  conversion/application for a 12 month visa based on retirement.  I just wanted to confirm that.

Hi may i suggest you go to the Bangkok Bank at Central Near Chiangmai Ram hospital and see the financial Exchange Chap By the name of Sombat. Unless things have really change it should be ok i have an account there and never had a Drama. It is worth a try regards Brian Alias Dezza

Many Expats with Thai G/f use him to create accounts. Nothing underhand however he is Farrang friendly and speaks excellent English

42 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

My visa company also revealed that there is no need to start queuing at 4am for retirement extension as the process has been streamlined so that an applicant can walk in anytime during opening hours and not get delayed. Has anyone done that? 

Visa company? You mean agent, right? So why bother with an agent if it's that easy? Just curious.

54 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

My visa company also revealed that there is no need to start queuing at 4am for retirement extension as the process has been streamlined so that an applicant can walk in anytime during opening hours and not get delayed.

Has anyone done that? 

I think your visa agent is having a bad dream.  There is nothing at Chiang Mai, Immigration that is streamlined. ????

On 11/26/2018 at 4:09 PM, NancyL said:

I don't think you'll be charged with "overstay" for failure to have a TM30 on file before filing an application for a retirement extension, but rather you'll be fined even though it's the responsibility of the home owner to file the TM30.  1600 baht seems to be the standard fine in Chiang Mai, although they impose a larger fine.

you are correct ...not "overstay".   many times you state that it is the responsibility of the home owner to do

the (INITAL)  report and get a tm30 receipt for the tenant (or foreign spouse if that applies).  I have answered this fact a time or two...so not going to again.  Just will say that IF person applying for extension or certificate of residence or.... does not have an up to date tm30 receipt they will NOT get whatever they are at IO for if it is required.  

By this time you would think that all long term stayers are aware of the tm30 requirement and would take whatever action is necessary to get one and keep it up to date (like when returning from out of country). If i remember right even the country you come from says that "ignorance of the law is not an excuse".  For those that will counter with the law is clear in usa probably never had to do a mildly complicated tax return.  And if a tax person did it for them i am sure it cost more than 1600 baht.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:19 PM, Thailand said:

When my landlords found out about TM30 being enforced they went down and paid the fine. They were aware it was their responsibility.

We also went down a few years ago when the "enforcement" started.  Would have paid the fine for our rentals ( of course would have been upset since no warning, etc) ......... but at that time there was some leniency and we were not fined.   For the last year or two no slack for anyone it seems.

21 hours ago, cusanus said:

Visa company? You mean agent, right? So why bother with an agent if it's that easy? Just curious.

I agree. However, this year as I am attempting to use the income retirement extension route, it's a 'belt and braces' job, and I don't want to risk being harassed around the block by an over-zealous IO.

21 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I think your visa agent is having a bad dream.  There is nothing at Chiang Mai, Immigration that is streamlined. ????

Perhaps you haven't been there recently. My 90 day visit I turned up at 2.30pm, joined a queue of 5, and was out by 3pm. Same when I went for a new passport update, I was dealt with immediately. Seemed like the numbered desk system is working efficiently. Whether or not the retirement extension is as facile, I hope to receive some info on here from guys who have experienced that.

19 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I took a walk inside Monday morning and it is not a madhouse but still very crowded.  I then crossed the street and visited the Visa Agent located there.  It looks I will be using them for the extension next month.  

Always better to go midweek in the afternoon when queues dissipate. I'm sure the 'crowds' are mostly tourist visa applicants and 30 day renewals as opposed to 90 day and retirement extension applicants.

Also, bear in mind non-holiday Monday and Fridays will always be busy.

As to the Visa Agent across the street, are they a new company, or a branch of an existing one?

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

As to the Visa Agent across the street, are they a new company, or a branch of an existing one?

They have been around for years.  They were at Promenada before. 

Thank you. So they 'know' who to approach, and their costs are quite reasonable as well..

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

As to the Visa Agent across the street, are they a new company, or a branch of an existing one?

About 1 year, they took over when G4T moved on and/or sold out.

Moving opposite to immigration gives them an advantage and they obviously have the contacts. Know of two people who were able to get visas done recently with no requirements for seasoning of funds etc. Expensive though.

45 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Tian is across the street & had a one year run at Promenada....

Best Friend Visa is the one that was in Promenada for years.....They changed names (same people) when they moved from Promenada.....They are not located as close to the new/old Imm.....

I've used both & BFV seemed better/more organized & less costly = but they both got it done....Tian gets the nod for a more convenient location....

I tried to do a 1-year extension based on marriage to a Thai today at CM Immigration. This is the 10th year in a row have have done this. I have never had any problems - I have always had all the documents they ask for thanks to this forum. I do the extension with an income letter from my embassy (Norwegian embassy in Bangkok).

But this year CM Imm wanted a print-out or bank statement from my local bank in Norway showing my pension payments coming in from the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. They showed me a print-out by some German guy's internet bank in Germany and told me that "this is what we want from you". It did not look like an official bank statement printed out by the bank, it looked like an internet banking print-out.

I live quite a ways from CM Imm so I'll be going back on Monday with a print-out of last years (last 12 months) pension payments to me done via accessing my local Norwegian bank through internet banking. This is easy to do, but it would have been great if I had known they wanted this before I sat there in front of the Immigration Officer... but This-Is-Thailand, so I guess that's too much to ask.

Also, the income letter from the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok shows my gross income (income before taxes). But the print-out I will bring to Immigration on Monday will show my income after taxes. I pay 23% in tax, so this is quite a difference. I still qualify because I only need 40K a month - because I do extensions based on marriage - but Norwegians who do retirement extensions and need to show 65K+ might not make it with this new system.

I can do another post on Monday after I have been at Immigration.

11 hours ago, since2003 said:

I tried to do a 1-year extension based on marriage to a Thai today at CM Immigration. This is the 10th year in a row have have done this. I have never had any problems - I have always had all the documents they ask for thanks to this forum. I do the extension with an income letter from my embassy (Norwegian embassy in Bangkok).

But this year CM Imm wanted a print-out or bank statement from my local bank in Norway showing my pension payments coming in from the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. They showed me a print-out by some German guy's internet bank in Germany and told me that "this is what we want from you". It did not look like an official bank statement printed out by the bank, it looked like an internet banking print-out.

I live quite a ways from CM Imm so I'll be going back on Monday with a print-out of last years (last 12 months) pension payments to me done via accessing my local Norwegian bank through internet banking. This is easy to do, but it would have been great if I had known they wanted this before I sat there in front of the Immigration Officer... but This-Is-Thailand, so I guess that's too much to ask.

Also, the income letter from the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok shows my gross income (income before taxes). But the print-out I will bring to Immigration on Monday will show my income after taxes. I pay 23% in tax, so this is quite a difference. I still qualify because I only need 40K a month - because I do extensions based on marriage - but Norwegians who do retirement extensions and need to show 65K+ might not make it with this new system.

I can do another post on Monday after I have been at Immigration.

How many months statements did they want you to show ?

On 11/29/2018 at 4:06 PM, since2003 said:

I'll be going back on Monday with a print-out of last years (last 12 months) pension payments to me done via accessing my local Norwegian bank through internet banking. This is easy to do, but it would have been great if I had known they wanted this before I sat there in front of the Immigration Officer... but This-Is-Thailand, so I guess that's too much to ask. 

Is NOT all the embassies following the UK and USA by not providing income letters after this year? Nobody knows for sure what they'll be looking for now. A friend had a conversation with an IO officer re the recent ban on embassy income certifications and other restrictive changes by Thai Immigration. The finger pointed back to they many complaints we often see on this site, not specifically, but to attitudes I've often highlighted over the years, whining and derision aimed at Thai Immigration, especially CM. Do you all remember the big sign at Promenada (In With The Good, Out With The Bad, or the very personal questionnaire). In other words, the farangs have clearly pist off the big boys, and don't forget the PTB are now the unified military mind short on patience; justifiably proud and not too pleased with the attitude of many foreigners. When I arrived in 2005 CM Immigration was relaxed, not busy, the agents terribly polite and helpful, a fun trip for me. Then word got out how great it was here and the rush began, soon overwhelming capacity. I watched the good staff suffer terribly with stress day after day struggling to please many thankless farangs. The move to Promenada was awkward and things could not be quite so relaxed, minor mistakes were made, but even so I much enjoyed the time spent, the staff was always prompt, helpful and cheerful, quite the opposite of the many sour faced, confused and impatient farangs who voice contempt for the Thai way. I really don't get it. We are guests who came to enjoy a much more relaxed and friendly culture, but too many look down on the Thai people. Forgive me if I'm judging too harshly, delete this if so, but I've long expected that the great life I've had the last 14 years would be gone too soon. I thank God for the last 14 years here and that I likely won't live long enough to see it get completely ruined. 

5 hours ago, cusanus said:

I much enjoyed the time spent, the staff was always prompt, helpful and cheerful, quite the opposite of the many sour faced, confused and impatient farangs who voice contempt for the Thai way. 

I don't remember ever getting any "likes" from you over the times i've posted..... often suggesting that it is

the arrogant or disrespectful attitudes of MANY visitors to thailand that have caused thais and thai officials to get fed up with us.   Nice to see that you have posted this as I can understand you a little better.  I too remember having relaxed times going to Immigration with my daughter.....who was born here 30 years ago.

I probably was not too happy to see you arrive just a scant 14 years ago ( ???? )........but do "like" the fact you enjoy and appreciate what we have here.   As for changing the attitudes of the multitudes arrived or arriving I am afraid the dam has burst...... 

14 minutes ago, rumak said:

I probably was not too happy to see you arrive just a scant 14 years ago ( ???? )........but do "like" the fact you enjoy and appreciate what we have here.   As for changing the attitudes of the multitudes arrived or arriving I am afraid the dam has burst...... 

Hmmm, well, I never even noticed there were like buttons and emoticons and such or considered them useful in this context. I think what you're trying to say is about what Will Rogers said when the city of Great Falls Montana held a dinner in his honor, was it in the 40s. Something to the effect, "I'm very honored, but must confess that I wish none of you were here." The last 14 years have been well worth living, but the prior 57 anything but, except for the three as a kid I spent fishing by myself. I'm hoping to die here in peace. 

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

Hmmm, well, I never even noticed there were like buttons and emoticons and such or considered them useful in this context. I think what you're trying to say is about what Will Rogers said when the city of Great Falls Montana held a dinner in his honor, was it in the 40s. Something to the effect, "I'm very honored, but must confess that I wish none of you were here." The last 14 years have been well worth living, but the prior 57 anything but, except for the three as a kid I spent fishing by myself. I'm hoping to die here in peace. 

I believe a large majority of single westerners come here to get away from lives that were not happy Unfortunately very few (from what i have seen) have taken advantage of the different way of life that thailand offers.  Pretty much like children that despise their parents and then proceed to become just like them.   For all that are making a better life here i applaud you.  Bring that thai smile to immigration with you. Yes, it might not be 100 % genuine,  but with practice it does tend to grow on you.

Getting ready for my annual extension based on income, check list of supporting documentation below, any omissions please let me know.

TM7 plus two 4*6 cm pale blue background photos.

British Embassy Income Letter dated 20 September 2018.

Income documents as sent to BE.

Passport photo page.

Original Non Imm “O” visa.

Annual extensions since original visa (3)

TM 6 Departure Card

Last Entry Stamp

TM30

90 Day Report

UK Bank Account Monthly statements showing income for last 12 months (NEW REQUIREMENT IT SEEMS).

Many thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, davehowden said:

Getting ready for my annual extension based on income, check list of supporting documentation below, any omissions please let me know.

TM7 plus two 4*6 cm pale blue background photos.

British Embassy Income Letter dated 20 September 2018.

Income documents as sent to BE.

Passport photo page.

Original Non Imm “O” visa.

Annual extensions since original visa (3)

TM 6 Departure Card

Last Entry Stamp

TM30

90 Day Report

UK Bank Account Monthly statements showing income for last 12 months (NEW REQUIREMENT IT SEEMS).

Many thanks for your help.

Usually copy EVERY page in my passport that has something on the page, just to be sure.

Anyway, good luck - DIY?

Archived