CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

5 hours ago, stament said:

I reported with my wife a few months back but I'm currently out of the country and will be returning to CM late Friday night so planned on going Sat AM to Immigration with all the docs in my own if that's allowable by Immigration.

Wow. I always thought that technically it was the landowner who had to do the report, though in practice we end up doing it or paying the fine. I always assumed the landowner would have to attend, or was that just the first time?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, stament said:

I reported with my wife a few months back but I'm currently out of the country and will be returning to CM late Friday night so planned on going Sat AM to Immigration with all the docs in my own if that's allowable by Immigration.

All you need is your passport which has a TM30 slip stapled in the back as you have already registered nothing else.

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Wow. I always thought that technically it was the landowner who had to do the report, though in practice we end up doing it or paying the fine. I always assumed the landowner would have to attend, or was that just the first time?

Not even for first time for me.  

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

All you need is your passport which has a TM30 slip stapled in the back as you have already registered nothing else.

So my old TM30 from a few months back is all I need plus my passport and copy passport? I don't need my wife's blue book you are saying even though I stayed in a hotel in BKK after leaving home last time I was here back in June?

Sorry to be pedantic but I know how fussy immigration officers are and want to get it right.

Thanks 

26 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Not even for first time for me.  

Not sure but I took my wife first time as wasn't sure of what exactly was required or even where to go within Immigration.  Always easier with someone who can speak Thai ????

This time I prefer to go on my own so my wife can stay at home and look after our boys.

17 minutes ago, stament said:

So my old TM30 from a few months back is all I need plus my passport and copy passport? 

All you need is your passport which has the TM30 slip stapled inside the back cover, nothing else. Officials will date stamp the existing TM30 and away you go.

17 minutes ago, stament said:

Not sure but I took my wife first time as wasn't sure of what exactly was required or even where to go within Immigration.  Always easier with someone who can speak Thai ????

This time I prefer to go on my own so my wife can stay at home and look after our boys.

Just passport with TM30 in it go to second floor. They will just endorse it and input to computer "system".

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Oh boy you have a Thai wife and children, live in Thailand and do not speak Thai. Ok, good luck.

My lovely Thai wife of 11 years was an English teacher for 37 years and the rest of the family all speak fine English, my 7 year old granddaughter learned English from many thousands of youtube videos before she learned Thai, and she reads and writes English better than I did at her age in Montana.  I don't know much Thai, and that's fine because I really don't wish to talk to most people all that much and my wife speaks a torrent in the clutch if she gets a shot at it.  

I just went to Thai immigration today and they told me the requirement is to have 800k two months and NOT three months before application date. Then after application date, we need to keep 800k for another three months for a total of 5 months per year.

This is a change for those who applied before 2019 which required three months before application date.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I just went to Thai immigration today and they told me the requirement is to have 800k two months and NOT three months before application date. Then after application date, we need to keep 800k for another three months for a total of 5 months per year.

Thou shalt not forget the minimum of 400k the remainder of the year. 

27 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Thou shalt not forget the minimum of 400k the remainder of the year. 

400k is not a problem for most people, it is the 800k that is a problem.

I noticed there are lots of trainees/students at the info counter. They seem to have trouble understanding and keep on asking for my passport.

When I ask question A, they answer with a totally irrelevant info. They seem to have trouble understanding English and even the requirements.

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I believe the 400K is a problem for many people as it is dead money that can't be touched. Covered a number of times but makes absolutely no sense when you can spend all the 65K plus per month.

But then that's Thai immigration and their consistent inconsistency.

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I believe the 400K is a problem for many people as it is dead money that can't be touched. Covered a number of times but makes absolutely no sense when you can spend all the 65K plus per month.

I'd say it is presumed there will be another 65K next month, and the month after....

When you go back for the next renewal you'll have to show the 65K coming in every month for the past year.

Makes sense to me. 

9 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Oh boy you have a Thai wife and children, live in Thailand and do not speak Thai.

Good luck. 

Don't recall saying I lived in Thailand unless you know something I don't....

I can speak Thai but not fluently, something I need to work on. Having said that with official matters I always find it easier to take my wife as sometimes there can be misunderstandings.

Seems this time it should be straight forward so I will go alone.

Thanks for the responses very useful.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I noticed there are lots of trainees/students at the info counter. They seem to have trouble understanding and keep on asking for my passport. When I ask question A, they answer with a totally irrelevant info. They seem to have trouble understanding English and even the requirements.

We're here to inform people about the rules, not tell them what their problems are. I've been here over 14 years and never failed to get good answers and efficient service, but I'll keep my eyes peeled and my ear to the ground. 

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

The real problem is not having sufficient funds to cover living expenses plus a reserve for emergencies such as health care.

12 hours ago, amexpat said:

I'd say it is presumed there will be another 65K next month, and the month after....

When you go back for the next renewal you'll have to show the 65K coming in every month for the past year.

Makes sense to me. 

Which totals 800K plus over one year to qualify for extension of stay on monthly income and you can spend every satang. 

With 800K  lump sum 400K is dead money that cannot be spent, how does that make sense?

Anyway, those that have the equivalent of 800K and are not comfortable with having the 400K tied up forever can leave the funds overseas and drip feed in to their Thai bank accounts at 65K per month, job done.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:18 AM, Thailand said:

lump sum 400K is dead money that cannot be spent, how does that make sense?

Well, if Thai authorities would sit down and examine the Malaysian example, they would see that requiring all non immigrant residents to have a special account that is untouchable, except for medical emergencies, or educational expenses, works out rather well. A surety bond, of sorts. And, I believe, it is around 400k equivalent.

So, Thailand can allow the combo method, with the further proviso that the amount on deposit equal or exceed 400k. Such a deposit may need to be in a special account, i.e., one that can be accessed by the hospital you've stiffed. But, so much for details -- the bottom line is that those screaming about 65k/mo as too much can now just send 32.5k equivalent, as long as they've established the 400k special account. Establish more, send less monthly. Pretty easy overall. 

Yeah, the 400k looks locked up -- but so what? Presumably, you've planned to allow that you'll die with some assets..... So, include that 400k in your estate planning, writing a Thai Will to assure it goes where you want. "Dead money?" Well, ok -- in your lifetime at least.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, JimGant said:

Well, if Thai authorities would sit down and examine the Malaysian example, they would see that requiring all non immigrant residents to have a special account that is untouchable, except for medical emergencies, or educational expenses, works out rather well. A surety bond, of sorts. And, I believe, it is around 400k equivalent.

So, Thailand can allow the combo method, with the further proviso that the amount on deposit equal or exceed 400k. Such a deposit may need to be in a special account, i.e., one that can be accessed by the hospital you've stiffed. But, so much for details -- the bottom line is that those screaming about 65k/mo as too much can now just send 32.5k equivalent, as long as they've established the 400k special account. Establish more, send less monthly. Pretty easy overall. 

Yeah, the 400k looks locked up -- but so what? Presumably, you've planned to allow that you'll die with some assets..... So, include that 400k in your estate planning, writing a Thai Will to assure it goes where you want. "Dead money?" Well, ok -- in your lifetime at least.

I agree 100 percent with you final paragraph.  I have asked friends many times, "Do you not plan on leaving your partner (whomever that may be) something enough to take care of them and final expenses upon your death?" If you plan on leaving them something in your home country, are they going to be able to access that without a myriad of red tape, lawyers and hassle? If you do not have a partner, Disregard. ????   

4 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I have asked friends many times, "Do you not plan on leaving your partner (whomever that may be) something enough to take care of them and final expenses upon your death?" If you plan on leaving them something in your home country, are they going to be able to access that without a myriad of red tape, lawyers and hassle? If you do not have a partner, Disregard. ????   

If you have a will, take that to the bank with your partner and have your partner made beneficiary on one or more accounts. That's what I did at Bangkok bank. Only trouble was a series of papers that we signed being in Thai that I couldn't read, but that was the intent. 

To add to the above, Thai wills can be quite simple. Accounts are listed and add a phrase to the effect that any subsequent accounts you might open are also covered. Otherwise you can do the same for a car, motorcycle, or any other property you have in your name.  Additionally, you can appoint an executor, which can be the partner or someone else.

Also, if you wish (and trusting your partner), you can simply add his/her name to the account (NOT as the account owner) to allow withdraws as necessary should you become incapacitated and unable to do it.  The bank will oblige. No mysterious forms, but both must sign each account passbook. You need to go together.

Getting somewhat off topic, so for more information, go to the bank or check other threads.

4 hours ago, cusanus said:

If you have a will, take that to the bank with your partner and have your partner made beneficiary on one or more accounts. That's what I did at Bangkok bank. Only trouble was a series of papers that we signed being in Thai that I couldn't read, but that was the intent. 

Actually, your partner becomes a co-signatory, not a beneficiary. As previously stated, Thailand has no 'pay on death' proviso to enable you to leave your bank account to a beneficiary, thus avoiding probate. So, take your partner to the bank, set her up as co-signatory (no Will necessary), they'll enter her name against the account, and issue a new passbook that has her name (hidden) associated with the account. Officially, upon your death, the account is supposed to go thru probate. Functionally, especially if your co-signatory is also your Will's beneficiary, just have her clean out the account before you're cold. No aggrieved party (I'm assuming), so who's to file a protest?

On 4/29/2019 at 8:58 AM, WaveHunter said:

I just think it’s unfair for them to freeze funds in perpetuity.  It serves no purpose and only benefits the bank.  I don’t care how much money a person has; I think it’s a sin to have funds tied up like that.  I just think IMM has finally gone too far with this arbitrary red tape.

life in't fair.

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

Actually, your partner becomes a co-signatory, not a beneficiary. As previously stated, Thailand has no 'pay on death' proviso to enable you to leave your bank account to a beneficiary, thus avoiding probate. So, take your partner to the bank, set her up as co-signatory (no Will necessary), they'll enter her name against the account, and issue a new passbook that has her name (hidden) associated with the account. Officially, upon your death, the account is supposed to go thru probate. Functionally, especially if your co-signatory is also your Will's beneficiary, just have her clean out the account before you're cold. No aggrieved party (I'm assuming), so who's to file a protest?

Now that seems like the best explanation of what we did. She didn't say beneficiary, but stated the money was available to me. I just can't read Thai and didn't get a good understanding of what took place. That really isn't ideal if she either dies suddenly or not be in a position to get to the bank. I'll have to mull this one over. 

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

But I thought that if you did this, then Immigration would not accept the money on deposit (400K or 8ooK) as being eligible for the extension requirement.  Will Immigration accept a joint account?  I thought NOT.

28 minutes ago, OneZero said:

But I thought that if you did this, then Immigration would not accept the money on deposit (400K or 8ooK) as being eligible for the extension requirement.  Will Immigration accept a joint account?  I thought NOT.

Based on my experience, as stated in some of the posts above, it is correct that Thai banks do not allow "beneficiaries".  I have a joint account to cover for my wife's immediate expenses, and then a will to take car of the rest which is in an account acceptable to immigration. Joint accounts can not be used for Immigration which is what this topic is about. Your experiences may differ. ????

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

While it's my understanding that some IO's accept joint accounts, in this case the balance has to be double the requirement, e.g., for a retirement extension, you need 1.6million baht two months prior, three months after, and never below 800k. But, best to just assume the IO you encounter won't accept a joint account.

The co-signatory account I'm referring to is still a single owner savings account, completely acceptable by CM Immigration, as I confirmed last week when I renewed. When I upped my balance in my single account last November (to meet the 800k criteria), they issued a new passbook, with the same account number, but with my wife's name affixed in the data base, plus she signed the book, but the signature is viewable only with UV lighting. Thus, the new passbook looks identical to the old one.

I don't believe I can have the wife as a co-signatory on a fixed deposit account (but I may be wrong -- need to check this out). Thus, such an account would probably have to go through probate when I croak. That's why I left my money in a savings account, thus losing interest -- but easily emptied out by the wife (legally when I'm terminal, functionally when I'm heading for the barbecue).

Per Gant’s comments I can confirm no difficulties re obtaining an extension of stay with a cosignatory on savings and fixed accounts. As stated before, a cosignatory, spouse or significant other or whatever is not an owner of an account.

Archived