CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

On 8/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, Sparkles said:

Hi Lizard it was originally just a simple question from me that affected only my family members visit????

how long are they going to stay if not long do not tell immigration how will they know if they find out plead ignorance no have TV. Never hear of TM30.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Chiang Mai Airport immigration known to hassle people with language tests and other things like they do at DMK and BKK?

I would like to return to Thailand from Yangon, Myanmar to Chiang Mai on a direct flight from Bangkok Airways.

I have been in Thailand for 5 years mostly on ED visas. Current passport has 1 tourist visa and 1 ED visa, both from Vientiane (and a bunch of related stamps and entry/exit visas). 

Nancy.  Are not you the 'homeowner' of your condo?  Unless some private arrangement in made with building mgnt, aren't YOU, as homeowner, required to file TM30?  Do you pay the condo mgnt to fill/file these forms for you?

I live in a hotel and 'own' no house. The hotel mgnt does all my Immig forms, as required.

6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Nancy.  Are not you the 'homeowner' of your condo?  Unless some private arrangement in made with building mgnt, aren't YOU, as homeowner, required to file TM30?  Do you pay the condo mgnt to fill/file these forms for you?

I live in a hotel and 'own' no house. The hotel mgnt does all my Immig forms, as required.

Our the office staff in our condo building, and many others, has signed up for the online TM30 reporting just like a hotel would.  They have the documents on file as to who owns what condo.  They file the TM30s for the residents, both the renters and the owners.  Nice service.  My condo doesn't charge.  Some charge a modest fee.  Ours might if we traveled a lot.  I never checked because we file about three or four times a year.

Any advantage in using an agent anymore at CM Immigration?

I have needed to use an agent last year and this for reasons I don't need to go into.

My experience: arrived at agent office yesterday at 1pm to drop off my 'stuff'. They suggested we could go straight to Immigration. We did. "Queue full come back tomorrow." Back at 9:30 as arranged today, account book updated again; has to be same day as application. Last year (Promenada) we went to a separate office at the rear for priority processing. This year joined the same queue as everyone else, waited for a queue ticket as everyone else, went to the same counter for processing as everyone else, waited for the boss to countersign as everyone else. Agent charged the same fee as last year.

Go figure ...

1 minute ago, Caspersfriend said:

Any advantage in using an agent anymore at CM Immigration?

I have needed to use an agent last year and this for reasons I don't need to go into.

My experience: arrived at agent office yesterday at 1pm to drop off my 'stuff'. They suggested we could go straight to Immigration. We did. "Queue full come back tomorrow." Back at 9:30 as arranged today, account book updated again; has to be same day as application. Last year (Promenada) we went to a separate office at the rear for priority processing. This year joined the same queue as everyone else, waited for a queue ticket as everyone else, went to the same counter for processing as everyone else, waited for the boss to countersign as everyone else. Agent charged the same fee as last year.

Go figure ...

I believe back doors now require larger amounts of money, usually if you don't have sufficient funding.

Nowadays most reports show around 10-15 minutes after getting a ticket you will be called to a desk and a few more minutes to do the paperwork, around 20-30 minutes total for extension of stay retirement and then a 2 hour wait for the boss to sign off.

Somewhere in the current extensive commentary this might have been covered, but a search didn't turn it up so...

Re initial extension of Non-Im O visa to be based on marriage, I intend to deposit THB400,000 to meet the financial requirement. Please clarify:

1. Must the funds be deposited into a Thai bank account in my name only at least two months before I apply for the extension?

1a. And after two months must the application be filed at least 30 days before expiration of the Non-Im O 90-day visa? Tricky math...

2. Allowed source of funds: Can I transfer the amount from an existing account in Thailand in my and my wife's names, or must it be from a foreign bank and a particular kind of transfer?

3. Three months after (application, final approval,...?; dates that can be separated by a month or more.) can the 400,000 be withdrawn in total with no problem?

3a. Then 2 months before the next extension, the money must be returned to my Thai account, assuming it was withdrawn. Do any caveats apply as per 2 above?   

1 hour ago, Ozziepat said:

Somewhere in the current extensive commentary this might have been covered, but a search didn't turn it up so...

Re initial extension of Non-Im O visa to be based on marriage, I intend to deposit THB400,000 to meet the financial requirement. Please clarify:

1. Must the funds be deposited into a Thai bank account in my name only at least two months before I apply for the extension?

1a. And after two months must the application be filed at least 30 days before expiration of the Non-Im O 90-day visa? Tricky math...

2. Allowed source of funds: Can I transfer the amount from an existing account in Thailand in my and my wife's names, or must it be from a foreign bank and a particular kind of transfer?

3. Three months after (application, final approval,...?; dates that can be separated by a month or more.) can the 400,000 be withdrawn in total with no problem?

3a. Then 2 months before the next extension, the money must be returned to my Thai account, assuming it was withdrawn. Do any caveats apply as per 2 above?   

I'm guessing a little, but this should be same as retirement except for 400k/200k instead of 800k/400k. Ok, AFTER the money has sat for 2 months (I'd definitely go for three to be on the safe side as that's what it used to be), you just walk in with your updated passbook, doesn't matter where the money came from, just show it's been there long enough and updated that morning (you might get away with a day or two before, but play it safe). Three months AFTER the date of renewal (why fudge), you must NOT withdraw the entire amount, but only 200k for the rest of the coming year. For retirement the new rules are you can withdraw half (400,000) and then MUST bring it back up to 800k two months prior to the date you walk back in to renew (better say 3). I always go in about a week before the extension expires, but I think you can go in much earlier than that. Of course, for marriage the amounts are 400/200, not 800/400. So, no, I'm sure you cannot withdraw the entire 400k, only 200k. Now, that's what always works for me except I leave 800k in a fixed account permanently, it's easier. For sure there are others who have a better grasp of these things, Nancy most likely can touch up the fine points. Anybody fine with 2 months prior to going in?  On 1a, I AM NOT SURE, someone else help with that. I remember going in anytime within the last month of the initial 90 days, but I don't want to steer you into trouble, so someone help us out there, please. 

cusanus:

Thanks. My questions stem from the fact that a spouse extension is known different in many ways from the retirement extension, but I can't find all the differences spelled out anywhere. For example, I understand after I apply in Chiang Mai, the application is processed in Bangkok, hence a significant delay - meaning one cannot wait until the last week or so on the generic "O" visa to apply (And I could be completely wrong about that. My recent prior post addressed the general information problem in more detail. Crickets.) I appreciate that the two visa types probably should parallel each other in most major respects, and I am very reluctant to just assume that. Maybe, though, anecdotes, hearsay and assumptions are all we ultimately have to work with.

4 hours ago, Ozziepat said:

cusanus: Thanks. My questions stem from the fact that a spouse extension is known different in many ways from the retirement extension, but I can't find all the differences spelled out anywhere. For example, I understand after I apply in Chiang Mai, the application is processed in Bangkok, hence a significant delay - meaning one cannot wait until the last week or so on the generic "O" visa to apply (And I could be completely wrong about that. My recent prior post addressed the general information problem in more detail. Crickets.) I appreciate that the two visa types probably should parallel each other in most major respects, and I am very reluctant to just assume that. Maybe, though, anecdotes, hearsay and assumptions are all we ultimately have to work with.

Why do I think you're wrong about that? I always got a great deal of pleasure as well as good answers by going to Immigration and asking. Also, advise taking a Thai friend, best a female friend who speaks excellent English, there with you. They can chat up a storm and get to the bottom line real quick. I did inquire about the Thai visa marriage myself about 10 years ago and was told that retirement was a much better option because of some kind of red tape, so that's what you're likely talking about. I didn't come up with 400k/200k by interpolating from retirement, but this had been discussed before with pretty fair consensus. I didn't tag on to Thaivisa until I'd been in Thailand for 6-8 years, can't really remember, but I went to Immigration frequently on a very friendly basis, not just to ask questions but to say Hello. I can't imagine that you couldn't get all your questions answered with authority if you were to try that. I've given that advice many times because many people seem to think they can't do that. 

I have to change from retirement extension to spouse extension.Do I need to bring witness with me here in Chiang Mai.

I did not have to bring a witness to immigration but was required to have a witness when they came to do the house check the first year. They wanted a copy of their Thai ID, took a picture, and asked them some questions.

Used to be that doing business at CM Imm on a Monday was a no go if you wanted to avoid the crowds.

Today drove into the car park around 12 ish and parked in one of 5 spots available.Got a 90 day reporting ticket and was called up before I could even take a seat.

I realise we are in the depths of the low season but the whole place was barely half full and no desk outside

Increases in efficiency or just a reflection on the lack of tourists or permanent stayers who might have moved on ?

Staff appeared to be working through their lunch hour or taking it in shifts

I think you have to give the Chiang Mai office credit.  I, too, have been there a couple of times in the past month, and operations were moving along smoothly.  I monitored the call board when I was there, and it appeared that no speed records were being set but the business was apparently being done in reasonable time, as reflected in a few comments preceding this one.  By the way, I also drove straight into one of several available parking lots around 11:00 on the second visit!  Yes, I agree.  It is the slow season.

I don't think that you can blame the CM or any local office for the TM30 problems, but climbing up to the third floor in Chiang Mai to register is unfortunate.  My guess is that those too challenged by the climb can ask for assistance from Desk #4 downstairs and will get it.

Unfortunately, I also witnessed an ugly farang losing his cool. Dressed well, too, in his wife-beater tee shirt, shorts and sandals.  The office is NOT the beach!!

16 hours ago, amexpat said:

Or more people doing 90 day reports online or by post. 

Well I am sure there are as I usually do but there's a whole host of other reasons to be there retirement and marriage extensions ,re entries, volunteer & student,education visas etc.

Anyway its all good news if it continues and the staff had  smiles on their faces.

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Has anyone gone to CM Immigration in the afternoon to get a retirement extension?   Do they run out of queue numbers in the morning?  Thinking about going on Wednesday afternoon around 1:00.

Went Wednesday 28th August at 1.15.pm, received ticket for extension of stay and was the next number. Waited about 15 minutes to be seen.

Some hassles that were quickly resolved about 20 minutes in all to photo taken.

The 2 hour 10 minute  wait for the boss to sign off was not appreciated by the many that were waiting particularly as the rest of the office/staff was working as well and as pleasantly as I have ever seen it.

28 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Went Wednesday 28th August at 1.15.pm, received ticket for extension of stay and was the next number. Waited about 15 minutes to be seen.

The 2 hour 10 minute  wait for the boss to sign off was not appreciated by the many that were waiting particularly as the rest of the office/staff was working as well and as pleasantly as I have ever seen it.

Did you use the 800k or monthly transfer option? What were the 'hassles'?

45 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Thanks for that info.  Sounds encouraging!  ( except for the "big-shot" sign off part.)

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Did you use the 800k or monthly transfer option? What were the 'hassles'?

Eventually, too complicated to go in to here but related to immigration's inability to recognise the various banks foreign transfer coding systems (Which apparently they had been told about twice in the previous month).

I was told it was OK, expected otherwise, and was right and had options available.

27 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Eventually, too complicated to go in to here but related to immigration's inability to recognise the various banks foreign transfer coding systems (Which apparently they had been told about twice in the previous month).

I was told it was OK, expected otherwise, and was right and had options available.

Did you provide the embassy letter as well as that is required for monthly transfers.

39 minutes ago, Thailand said:

At my bank the official added a note to the letter stating that TRF is for International Transfer.

He said immigration knows this but will pretend they don't.  

I went to CM IMM yesterday, Thursday, for my retirement extension.  I had tried to get a queue number the day before, Wednesday around 10:00, but I was politely denied as they were overflowing with people and were accepting no more.  I was advised to return the next day before 7:00  

Here are the details of my experience which I'm offering in hopes that it may assist others who follow.

I arrived at 6:20 with plenty of parking available, found about 25 people already there inside, and was ushered to a seat that represented my place in the queue by a woman in street clothes who took charge of keeping order.  She was strict but friendly, kept an eagle eye on the door, and assured that every arrival took their appropriate place in the queue.  IO's showed up and started checking documents and handing out queue numbers around 7:00. We were herded into the line-up for queue numbers by our "minder."  Several people entered the building while the line-up was taking place and tried to cut in line.  They were spied by "minder," appropriately chastised, and shown to their appropriate place at the end of the line; much to the appreciation of all of us who had arrived earlier!

I drew Queue #R6 for the retirement extension.  The IO at counter #6 arrived around 7:40 and began calling queue numbers around 8:00.  My number was called at 9:10.  I used the "800K in the bank" method this year.     I deposited the funds into my own account, not a joint account, 3 months ahead of time.  (Although I understand they accept two months ahead as being ok, I'm not one to take any chances!)  I had used the income method with embassy letter for the past five years.

Here's what I submitted:

-Application form TM7.

-A 4cmx6cm passport photo with a white background.

-A copy of every page in my passport that had information or a stamp on it, as requested.

-The "Bank Letter" I obtained from Bangkok Bank the day before. (it's valid for 7 days according to CM IMM)

-A Bank statement showing all activity in the account for the past 6 months.

-A copy of every page of my passbook which I updated on my way to CM IMM early, very early, in the morning.

-A copy of my lease.

-A copy of my last 90 day report

-A copy of my TM30.

I signed each and every page using a blue ink pen.

I was forty-three days ahead of the expiration of my previous retirement extension.

The IO checked every page, stamped the extension into my passport, took my picture and then my 1900 Baht, and asked me to be seated while waiting for the return of my passport.  I asked how long it might take to get it returned and he answered, "30 Minutes or sooner!"  I had it back in my hand with the cash receipt by 9:30.

I went across the street to get a copy of the new permission to stay stamp and returned for my re-entry permit.

I presented my documents to the queue assigner who checked them over and handed me queue number RE17 for the re-entry permit  I was the next in line as RE16 had just been called.  Two minutes later I handed over my passport and documents for the multiple re-entry permit, paid my 3800 Baht, took a seat and waited for five minutes to get my passport and cash receipt back in my hand.

Done and dusted by 9:50.  A far cry from the absurdly painful experience at Promenada last year. 

Archived