CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

And he's not in Chiang Mai.  Also, see the sign in that post - the same sign I posted earlier in this thread?  That sign IS from Chiang Mai Immigration.  

So are you saying that this new insurance rule apply to only certain immigration offices and not the whole of Thailand?

This is a question and not a statement just in case somebody gets confused.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EricTh said:

So are you saying that this new insurance rule apply to only certain immigration offices and not the whole of Thailand?

It is possible, CM Immi. does tend to do things differently from other offices.

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I'm saying the thread is about Chiang Mai Immigration.  Nothing more, nothing less.

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

It is possible, CM Immi. does tend to do things differently from other offices.

If that is the case, then would it not be simple enough for those refused in Chiang Mai to go to other immigration offices to get it extended and the 'health insurance requirement' solved?

Of course, it would mean moving to another city but you are still in Thailand.

Alternative is to get a O visa based on retirement and go through the process again if you want to live in the same city.

Just wondering...

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

If that is the case, then would it not be simple enough for those refused in Chiang Mai to go to other immigration offices to get it extended and the 'health insurance requirement' solved?

Uh, no.  That would not be possible unless that person decided to move permanently to that location.

And on that note - screw it.  I'm done posting in the CM forum on the topic.

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

No generally you must go to the office nearest to where you live.

59 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Uh, no.  That would not be possible unless that person decided to move permanently to that location.

Moved permanently...... that's a misnomer for anything here. Go to live...... that's rather subjective as well. If I'm going somewhere to avoid the smoke for a while having just done a 90 day report, and while away I need to do an extension; I do it where I'm living at the moment. Where do you people come up with your crazy ideas of what can and can't be done? What would be crazy is to return to C-M to do immigration business for just one day.

This situation is insane.  Hubby entered Thailand with an O-A and I came in with an O as his dependent.  Soon, I got my own retirement extension, using the original O visa.  At the time, I was upset that I wasn't given an O-A initially since we submitted a police and medical report for me and a bank account, admittedly a joint account, but well in excess of 1,600,000 baht (in the U.S.), so I thought I should have received my own O-A.  But we made the mistake of including our marriage certificate, so the Thai General Consulate in Chicago figured I was a spouse, not a retiree.

Fast-forward more than a decade and now I'm the one with the golden visa, not him!  I wonder for how long before they start to require one of their sub-standard insurance policies for O visa holders, too.  We do have very good international insurance, but it doesn't meet their requirements for outpatients.  Our credit cards and local bank accounts can take care of a bill of a mere 40,000 baht.

Hubby obtained his current extension last month, just before the insurance rule went into effect.  His plan is if the current state of affairs continues to apply again next October and if they turn him down for not having an appropriate insurance policy, then he'll have a little vacation somewhere overseas for a few weeks without a re-entry permit, obtain an O visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate at his vacation destination and return to Chiang Mai to extend for a year using the 800,000 baht that has been sitting in his bank account for that purpose.

Or maybe just return visa exempt and let Chiang Mai Immigration do the extra paperwork involved in a visa conversion.

43 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This situation is insane.  Hubby entered Thailand with an O-A and I came in with an O as his dependent.  Soon, I got my own retirement extension, using the original O visa.  At the time, I was upset that I wasn't given an O-A initially since we submitted a police and medical report for me and a bank account, admittedly a joint account, but well in excess of 1,600,000 baht (in the U.S.), so I thought I should have received my own O-A.  But we made the mistake of including our marriage certificate, so the Thai General Consulate in Chicago figured I was a spouse, not a retiree.

Fast-forward more than a decade and now I'm the one with the golden visa, not him!  I wonder for how long before they start to require one of their sub-standard insurance policies for O visa holders, too.  We do have very good international insurance, but it doesn't meet their requirements for outpatients.  Our credit cards and local bank accounts can take care of a bill of a mere 40,000 baht.

Hubby obtained his current extension last month, just before the insurance rule went into effect.  His plan is if the current state of affairs continues to apply again next October and if they turn him down for not having an appropriate insurance policy, then he'll have a little vacation somewhere overseas for a few weeks without a re-entry permit, obtain an O visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate at his vacation destination and return to Chiang Mai to extend for a year using the 800,000 baht that has been sitting in his bank account for that purpose.

Or maybe just return visa exempt and let Chiang Mai Immigration do the extra paperwork involved in a visa conversion.

Keep us posted

As you know they can change the rules anytime

On 11/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, NancyL said:

Of all the posters on this site, you and your husband are the last people who should have any difficulties with their visas.  I doubt if any retirees in Thailand, are more familiar with retirement visas or dealing with immigration than you.  This is a good example of how ridicules Thai Immigration has become, and why so many westerners are leaving this country for less restrictive destinations.

Over the years, I have read so many simple minded comments about how great CM Immigration is, how easy the 90 day reporting is, and on and on.  Without exception, every time it was my turn to apply for my one year visa extension or report for the nonsensical 90 day reporting, and now TM 30, it is nothing but a big headache.  It always involves reams of unnecessary paper work and wasted time standing or waiting to repeat the same nonsensical requirements year after year.  The only difference is,  more restrictive rules and regulations, and subtle vilifying of foreigners in the Thai press.

have you people realized or seen what <deleted> you have to go through to other country's

try retirement visa to oz maybe 1 million dollar in bank/ try usa /maybe uk impossible unless wife making big money /try Malaysia need to buy house /i have been here on retirement 10yrs now married visa/ 

think yourself lucky as its a breeze / cheers have a happy day not a grumpy one 

On 11/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, CMNightRider said:

Of all the posters on this site, you and your husband are the last people who should have any difficulties with their visas.  I doubt if any retirees in Thailand, are more familiar with retirement visas or dealing with immigration than you.  This is a good example of how ridicules Thai Immigration has become, and why so many westerners are leaving this country for less restrictive destinations.

Over the years, I have read so many simple minded comments about how great CM Immigration is, how easy the 90 day reporting is, and on and on.  Without exception, every time it was my turn to apply for my one year visa extension or report for the nonsensical 90 day reporting, and now TM 30, it is nothing but a big headache.  It always involves reams of unnecessary paper work and wasted time standing or waiting to repeat the same nonsensical requirements year after year.  The only difference is,  more restrictive rules and regulations, and subtle vilifying of foreigners in the Thai press.

People usually get what they expect

TM 30

Weekends a great time for TM30. Absolutely no one their except two female staff & me. On the weekend at the front desk 1st floor, main entrance. Not up the side to floor 3. Took less than 2 minutes. That said I live nearby CM immigration so it is quick trip over, not a journey. This for an out of country trip so really had to check in as it would be noticed – versus -  if an in country trip, maybe maybe not, Up2U.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

TM 30

Weekends a great time for TM30. Absolutely no one their except two female staff & me. On the weekend at the front desk 1st floor, main entrance. Not up the side to floor 3. Took less than 2 minutes. That said I live nearby CM immigration so it is quick trip over, not a journey. This for an out of country trip so really had to check in as it would be noticed – versus -  if an in country trip, maybe maybe not, Up2U.

What's the window allowed after arriving back in Thailand? I think I recall one week, which would allow one to wait until the weekend -- when, in addition, plenty of parking available. But, haven't even investigated the TM30 app -- maybe that, like 90-day report app, trumps any physical visit to Immigration....

14 hours ago, Mahseer said:

By the letter of the law 24 hours which is why they are open weekends.

At one time, at least, CM would allow a week to annotate your existing TM30 after returning from abroad to your same address, same landlord, thus same TM30. For a new address and new TM30, the 24-hour rule still applied. I updated my existing TM30 five days after returning from Burma -- but this was two years ago....

On 11/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, Mahseer said:

24 hours which is why they are open weekends.

21 hours ago, JimGant said:

I updated my existing TM30 five days after returning from Burma -- but this was two years ago....

Yes, sorry to imply you could wait to the weekend, I did not mean that. BTW Last time I was out of the country, I arrived back in mid June, three days later made it to IO. Not a problem, all smiles, but five months later if you waited three days, bet you get a two day fine. ????

Just now, Dante99 said:

Have not seen any reports of fines in CM for a few days late, have you?

Oh MY

Perhaps a second reading will help.  ................. That is an OPINION.

If I get out my pudding island dic.

noun UK  
 /əˈpɪn.jən/ US 
 /əˈpɪn.jən/
a thought or belief about something or someone:
What's your opinion about/on the matter?
People tend to have strong opinions on capital punishment.
He didn't express/give an opinion on the matter.
Who, in your opinion, (= who do you think) is the best soccer player in the world today?
He's very much of the opinion that alternative medicine is a waste of time.

Cheers

Archived