CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

I went to Imm today for retirement visa extension, using the 800,000 baht method, and after reading the report on a fb page last night I was ready for the worst as the previous extension last December I had obtained the standard bank letter one gets for the renewal plus photocopies of all pages within the passbook and of course taking the original passbook with me.

I arrived at 8.15 am and got number 31 ticket.Went straight to an officer, I knew vaguely, and asked were the financial documents I had were enough? "No she said the new Boss requires a bank statement covering the last 6 months" I pointed out the obvious that any transactions would be in the passbook."not good enough she replied" 

So off to KSK to see my contact Mr Sombat .

Of course BB at KSK doesn't open until 10.30. He had no idea this new requirement was in place and agreed it was pointless but a teller printed out a statement which cost 100 baht and took about 10 mins.

Got back to Imm number 25 was being called and was processed at 1.15 pm.In talking to waiting retirees many had the same problem as I did and we scuttling back to their bank.One guy who used the saving bank route had to put in 100 baht deposit to show the account was still active.

A new Boss is in town and more confusion ,spread the word,lots of shaking heads as people walked out the door.If your bank was far away you just wasted a day

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I went to Imm today for retirement visa extension, using the 800,000 baht method, and after reading the report on a fb page last night I was ready for the worst as the previous extension last December I had obtained the standard bank letter one gets for the renewal plus photocopies of all pages within the passbook and of course taking the original passbook with me.

I arrived at 8.15 am and got number 31 ticket.Went straight to an officer, I knew vaguely, and asked were the financial documents I had were enough? "No she said the new Boss requires a bank statement covering the last 6 months" I pointed out the obvious that any transactions would be in the passbook."not good enough she replied" 

So off to KSK to see my contact Mr Sombat .

Of course BB at KSK doesn't open until 10.30. He had no idea this new requirement was in place and agreed it was pointless but a teller printed out a statement which cost 100 baht and took about 10 mins.

Got back to Imm number 25 was being called and was processed at 1.15 pm.In talking to waiting retirees many had the same problem as I did and we scuttling back to their bank.One guy who used the saving bank route had to put in 100 baht deposit to show the account was still active.

A new Boss is in town and more confusion ,spread the word,lots of shaking heads as people walked out the door.If your bank was far away you just wasted a day

Easy just go to your bank and ask for a print out even if no transactions and the bank will stamp with the date and sign, people seems to be making a problem when there is none !!

1 hour ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Easy just go to your bank and ask for a print out even if no transactions and the bank will stamp with the date and sign, people seems to be making a problem when there is none !!

There was no requirement  previously to provide a bank statement just the balance on the day that was  noted in the letter + Photocopy of face page and photocopy of transactions. Repeat there was no requirement for a bank statement.So its now 200 baht instead of 100 baht.

Done 13 renewals in CM so very aware of what is now/was required

50 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

What kind of "800k method" account:  regular savings or fixed?  There is a difference.

Apologies....... mean't to add FIXED. Have the same 800,000 b I started with 13 years ago.Just take out interest earned over the year and leave the 800,000 b rolling over at currently 1.5% 

I am still pondering the difference in experience at Immigration between fixed and regular accounts used to park 800k (NOT the monthly system, by the way).  And I do understand the "three month checkup" for regular passbook accounts.  Still, my question remains. Is there a new requirement for a statement from the bank for a 800k FIXED deposit at extension time? Every transaction is shown including the annual roll-over and the date of confirmation you go to Immigration for an extension. The transaction record is very short, complete, and obvious.  Not necessarily that way for a regular passbook account, especially a very active account.  I can understand why Immigration would want a statement when it comes to regular savings accounts.

21 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

There was no requirement  previously to provide a bank statement just the balance on the day that was  noted in the letter + Photocopy of face page and photocopy of transactions. Repeat there was no requirement for a bank statement.So its now 200 baht instead of 100 baht.

Done 13 renewals in CM so very aware of what is now/was required

Why make problems my account does not change, but go to your bank and ask for a print out on the day, they will stamp and sign, no charge, Kasikorn Bank.  I went a few days before and accepted, .

When I read that comment on the FACEBOOK post I thought the poster was saying that IMM needed the letter that we get showing that we are the owner of the account, and the balance on the day, NOW needed a some words written in it that called out the balance for each of the last six months.  I now understand that what the FACEBOOK poster was talking about is actually the 6 month bank statement that IMM now requires in addition to the letter.

I got my O-A extension of stay for retirement at the end of September this year and... IMM at that time required the six month statement of my (regular passbook savings) account.  So apparently this is not a "NEW" new thing that popped up in the last few days but something that has been in place for several months now.

If this is a new requirement for Khun Sombat at Bangkok Bank, then it is new.  Many retirees have their accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch and he keeps up-to-date on what Immigration is requiring in the way of bank documentation.  It seems that it's easy for Bangkok Bank to produce the document required, but it's just one more hurdle for retirees to jump, esp those who don't read Thai Visa or the Facebook groups and don't see it coming.

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

If this is a new requirement for Khun Sombat at Bangkok Bank, then it is new.  Many retirees have their accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch and he keeps up-to-date on what Immigration is requiring in the way of bank documentation.  It seems that it's easy for Bangkok Bank to produce the document required, but it's just one more hurdle for retirees to jump, esp those who don't read Thai Visa or the Facebook groups and don't see it coming.

Previously banked at Bangkok Bank, now Kasikorn, Thapae Road, the service, attitude of staff and awareness of current immigration requirements has no comparison !!

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Apologies....... mean't to add FIXED. Have the same 800,000 b I started with 13 years ago.Just take out interest earned over the year and leave the 800,000 b rolling over at currently 1.5% 

I was required to print my bank statements in November 2019 too because my account was Fixed deposit too.

You can't update the balance forward on a Fixed deposit account unlike a savings account unless you make a withdrawal or deposit that day.

As I have said before, immigration is overly cautious, maybe there were loopholes in the past and they are trying to close the loopholes.

4 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Previously banked at Bangkok Bank, now Kasikorn, Thapae Road, the service, attitude of staff and awareness of current immigration requirements has no comparison !!

Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank seems to be the most friendly towards foreigners in the past.

Many would be interested to know the difference between these two banks (Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank) but you should create a new thread for this .

15 hours ago, Mapguy said:

I am still pondering the difference in experience at Immigration between fixed and regular accounts used to park 800k (NOT the monthly system, by the way).  And I do understand the "three month checkup" for regular passbook accounts.  Still, my question remains. Is there a new requirement for a statement from the bank for a 800k FIXED deposit at extension time? Every transaction is shown including the annual roll-over and the date of confirmation you go to Immigration for an extension. The transaction record is very short, complete, and obvious.  Not necessarily that way for a regular passbook account, especially a very active account.  I can understand why Immigration would want a statement when it comes to regular savings accounts.

I thought I had made that clear regarding the FIXED TERM OPTION.As from a few days ago the new Boss at Imm now wants to see a bank statement going back 6 mths as well as the normal letter that confirms the balance on the day you go to the bank plus photocopies of transaction pages and showing the passbook. ie As we have been doing for years

The Bank statement just confirms what is already easily seen in the passbook,usually limited entries, which I pointed out to Imm but no the statement must be provided or you will not get your extension .I only posted this to avoid people having to make 2 trips to the bank as I did plus the majority of people seeking extensions at Imm yesterday.

One  guy was with an Agent and the Agent wasn't aware of the new rule.

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

As mentioned Nancy this apparently was the new ruling which came into force last Monday or thereabouts.I had seen Khun Sombat on Tuesday he made no mention of it so was obviously not aware.Yesterday I waiting at the Bangkok Bank KSK at 10.am for it open at 10.30 am when he arrived for work and relayed the story.I was first in when the opened and straight to a teller

He was mystified as the information of deposits and withdrawals is in the passbook.Its just duplication, more paperwork and cost albeit only 100 b on top of the 100 b for the usual letter.

That he was not notified by Imm is no surprise. Its happened in the past when they bring in a new 'rule' which is specific to CM.

He had mentioned the previous day that he is spending so much time with customers and phone calls to Imm for folk who are using  income method from OS.

While sitting waiting to be processed at Imm my wife and I were right next to desk 8 where 2 officers were processing retirement extensions.The officers would not process anyone who didn't have the statement. Naturally they too were frustrated having to repeat the same story over and over.

A declining percentage of people now living here use Thai Visa.Expat fb groups are more active but as you say if you don't get yourself a daily update you're well and truly in the dark.

I did get my new free BB desk and wall calendars though???? 

26 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

.....As from a few days ago the new Boss at Imm now wants to see a bank statement going back 6 mths as well as the normal letter that confirms the balance on the day you go to the bank plus photocopies of transaction pages and showing the passbook. ie As we have been doing for years....

We've always had to produce copies of our bank passbook and I'm presuming that hasn't changed (if it has, please advise).

As to the bank letter which we've always had to produce, are you saying that a second bank letter (covering 6 months of history) is required besides the normal one (which simply identifies the account number, holder, and amount as of the date of the bank letter) or that they're now requiring a single bank letter to include the 6-month information?

Also, if you're able, what is meant by a "six month history" - every transaction for 6 months or perhaps just a balance as of a given day in each of 6 months?

Would appreciate the clarification.

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

We've always had to produce copies of our bank passbook and I'm presuming that hasn't changed (if it has, please advise).

As to the bank letter which we've always had to produce, are you saying that a second bank letter (covering 6 months of history) is required besides the normal one (which simply identifies the account number, holder, and amount as of the date of the bank letter) or that they're now requiring a single bank letter to include the 6-month information?

Also, if you're able, what is meant by a "six month history" - every transaction for 6 months or perhaps just a balance as of a given day in each of 6 months?

I agree

This New Boss is showing who is boss

Is this in the Immigration Act for us to comply

Maybe Bangkok Immigration need to come up and check to see if he is doing the right thing

15 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Well the second "letter" is just a statement on Bangkok Bank letterhead and went back 6 mths and there were virtually no transactions except for me taking out interest last August and rolling over the 800,000 b into a new 12 mth term being a FIXED TERM account.Mine showed 3 transactions, deposit ,tax and withdrawal of interest earned,leaving a balance of 800,000 b

You do still have to present the passbook and photocopies of front page showing name and account no and pages of transactions.

Maybe, and this is only a guess on my part, there have been reports of 2 people sharing the same 800,000 b and moving it around between them.Just hearsay but possible and that would show up on the statement

Hope that helps.

33 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well the second "letter" is just a statement on Bangkok Bank letterhead and went back 6 mths and there were virtually no transactions except for me taking out interest last August and rolling over the 800,000 b into a new 12 mth term being a FIXED TERM account.Mine showed 3 transactions, deposit ,tax and withdrawal of interest earned,leaving a balance of 800,000 b

You do still have to present the passbook and photocopies of front page showing name and account no and pages of transactions.

Maybe, and this is only a guess on my part, there have been reports of 2 people sharing the same 800,000 b and moving it around between them.Just hearsay but possible and that would show up on the statement

Hope that helps.

That would not be possible with the new requirements? 

Yes, a review of your passbook (regular savings account) should show all activity -- unless you don't update the passbook frequently enough, so a consolidated entry is made. This is where the 6-mos bank letter would break out those missing transactions. But why 6 months -- so nothing nefarious could happen in months 7,8, and 9?

Finished my extension of stay for marriage yesterday, I used a agent who I have used in the pass. The agent is great for sorting out all of the things that come up via the immigration officer before we show up. The six month report was dropped on us after I had been given the temp. stamp. We tried at the airport bangkok bank branch but they could not do it. Agent called immigration and explained the situation. Went this morning to my branch Pratu Chiang Mai Bangkok Bank. All sorted in about 15 min. as I had signed all of the copies I left the agents assistant to finish.

This happen to be the first time I extended for marriage and will be the last time due to all of the extra paper work needed, I do not want my wife to put up with this nor my landlady. Got thru everything and was approved but was warned the next time to deposit the same amt. of money and around the same date each month. I had transfered some higher amounts in to cover extra expenses. The actual set down with the immigration  agent was fine she was informative no inapproiate questions to my wife.. 

My branch of Bangkok Bank was great no complaints but commits about immigration and these new bank statement requirements. The supervisor came over and explained that they would have to charge the fees. I just said no problem thats life and my agent picked up the cost anyway. 

12 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Hope that helps.

How would 2 people share the same 800k and not been shown on the passbook?

Anyway, we can print the bank statement off their banking website if we have our own color printer just that it won't be signed by the bank. I wonder whether the bank will accept that.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

How would 2 people share the same 800k and not been shown on the passbook?

Anyway, we can print the bank statement off their banking website if we have our own color printer just that it won't be signed by the bank. I wonder whether the bank will accept that.

Easy : Person (a) has his/her own passbook and on approval of their extension take out the funds and pass the amount onto person (b) who has their own passbook in their name.Of course the amount, say 800,000 b, has to be in their account for the set period prior to them applying for their visa extension.

I remember well this speculation being spoken about in Pattaya years back.I have no idea the individuals involved neither do I want to know but sounds feasible as does the speculation that certain uncertified Agents (aka loan sharks)have provided funds to process peoples visas and charge high interest rates.

Immigration as I understand it will not accept documentation from banks that is not on official stationery and without a responsible bank persons signature. Why would they ?

In the past it was very easy for people to "share" 800,000 baht.  I knew of three people who did it because the dates of their extension expirations were spaced out enough that they could meet the three month ageing rule and immediately transfer the 800,000 baht to their friend after they obtained their extension and then transferring to the next friend after obtaining his extension, and so on.  A problem developed when one of the threesome developed dementia and the man's partner cleaned out the 800,000 baht and disappeared.

43 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

I want to confirm whether nor not CM IMM is requiring health insurance for ALL extensions of stay based on non IMM O-A visas, including those for marriage.  Is that the case?

If you don't get an answer there is a fb group THAI VISA ADVICE that is very active and immediate replies.Moderator Tod Daniels seems to be clued up and of course we have our own Ubon Joe on Thai Visa forums who is an expert on all immigration matters.If he sees your post he will normally reply.Have you asked an Agent ? doesn't obligate you to use them. There was a lot of confusion regarding this issue at Imm this week.

Archived