Jump to content
BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, Sparkles said:

Hi Lizard it was originally just a simple question from me that affected only my family members visit😥

how long are they going to stay if not long do not tell immigration how will they know if they find out plead ignorance no have TV. Never hear of TM30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Chiang Mai Airport immigration known to hassle people with language tests and other things like they do at DMK and BKK?

 

I would like to return to Thailand from Yangon, Myanmar to Chiang Mai on a direct flight from Bangkok Airways.

 

I have been in Thailand for 5 years mostly on ED visas. Current passport has 1 tourist visa and 1 ED visa, both from Vientiane (and a bunch of related stamps and entry/exit visas). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nancy.  Are not you the 'homeowner' of your condo?  Unless some private arrangement in made with building mgnt, aren't YOU, as homeowner, required to file TM30?  Do you pay the condo mgnt to fill/file these forms for you?

 

I live in a hotel and 'own' no house. The hotel mgnt does all my Immig forms, as required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Nancy.  Are not you the 'homeowner' of your condo?  Unless some private arrangement in made with building mgnt, aren't YOU, as homeowner, required to file TM30?  Do you pay the condo mgnt to fill/file these forms for you?

 

I live in a hotel and 'own' no house. The hotel mgnt does all my Immig forms, as required.

Our the office staff in our condo building, and many others, has signed up for the online TM30 reporting just like a hotel would.  They have the documents on file as to who owns what condo.  They file the TM30s for the residents, both the renters and the owners.  Nice service.  My condo doesn't charge.  Some charge a modest fee.  Ours might if we traveled a lot.  I never checked because we file about three or four times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any advantage in using an agent anymore at CM Immigration?

I have needed to use an agent last year and this for reasons I don't need to go into.

My experience: arrived at agent office yesterday at 1pm to drop off my 'stuff'. They suggested we could go straight to Immigration. We did. "Queue full come back tomorrow." Back at 9:30 as arranged today, account book updated again; has to be same day as application. Last year (Promenada) we went to a separate office at the rear for priority processing. This year joined the same queue as everyone else, waited for a queue ticket as everyone else, went to the same counter for processing as everyone else, waited for the boss to countersign as everyone else. Agent charged the same fee as last year.

Go figure ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Caspersfriend said:

Any advantage in using an agent anymore at CM Immigration?

I have needed to use an agent last year and this for reasons I don't need to go into.

My experience: arrived at agent office yesterday at 1pm to drop off my 'stuff'. They suggested we could go straight to Immigration. We did. "Queue full come back tomorrow." Back at 9:30 as arranged today, account book updated again; has to be same day as application. Last year (Promenada) we went to a separate office at the rear for priority processing. This year joined the same queue as everyone else, waited for a queue ticket as everyone else, went to the same counter for processing as everyone else, waited for the boss to countersign as everyone else. Agent charged the same fee as last year.

Go figure ...

I believe back doors now require larger amounts of money, usually if you don't have sufficient funding.

 

Nowadays most reports show around 10-15 minutes after getting a ticket you will be called to a desk and a few more minutes to do the paperwork, around 20-30 minutes total for extension of stay retirement and then a 2 hour wait for the boss to sign off.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere in the current extensive commentary this might have been covered, but a search didn't turn it up so...

 

Re initial extension of Non-Im O visa to be based on marriage, I intend to deposit THB400,000 to meet the financial requirement. Please clarify:

 

1. Must the funds be deposited into a Thai bank account in my name only at least two months before I apply for the extension?

1a. And after two months must the application be filed at least 30 days before expiration of the Non-Im O 90-day visa? Tricky math...

2. Allowed source of funds: Can I transfer the amount from an existing account in Thailand in my and my wife's names, or must it be from a foreign bank and a particular kind of transfer?

3. Three months after (application, final approval,...?; dates that can be separated by a month or more.) can the 400,000 be withdrawn in total with no problem?

3a. Then 2 months before the next extension, the money must be returned to my Thai account, assuming it was withdrawn. Do any caveats apply as per 2 above?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozziepat said:

Somewhere in the current extensive commentary this might have been covered, but a search didn't turn it up so...

 

Re initial extension of Non-Im O visa to be based on marriage, I intend to deposit THB400,000 to meet the financial requirement. Please clarify:

 

1. Must the funds be deposited into a Thai bank account in my name only at least two months before I apply for the extension?

1a. And after two months must the application be filed at least 30 days before expiration of the Non-Im O 90-day visa? Tricky math...

2. Allowed source of funds: Can I transfer the amount from an existing account in Thailand in my and my wife's names, or must it be from a foreign bank and a particular kind of transfer?

3. Three months after (application, final approval,...?; dates that can be separated by a month or more.) can the 400,000 be withdrawn in total with no problem?

3a. Then 2 months before the next extension, the money must be returned to my Thai account, assuming it was withdrawn. Do any caveats apply as per 2 above?   

I'm guessing a little, but this should be same as retirement except for 400k/200k instead of 800k/400k. Ok, AFTER the money has sat for 2 months (I'd definitely go for three to be on the safe side as that's what it used to be), you just walk in with your updated passbook, doesn't matter where the money came from, just show it's been there long enough and updated that morning (you might get away with a day or two before, but play it safe). Three months AFTER the date of renewal (why fudge), you must NOT withdraw the entire amount, but only 200k for the rest of the coming year. For retirement the new rules are you can withdraw half (400,000) and then MUST bring it back up to 800k two months prior to the date you walk back in to renew (better say 3). I always go in about a week before the extension expires, but I think you can go in much earlier than that. Of course, for marriage the amounts are 400/200, not 800/400. So, no, I'm sure you cannot withdraw the entire 400k, only 200k. Now, that's what always works for me except I leave 800k in a fixed account permanently, it's easier. For sure there are others who have a better grasp of these things, Nancy most likely can touch up the fine points. Anybody fine with 2 months prior to going in?  On 1a, I AM NOT SURE, someone else help with that. I remember going in anytime within the last month of the initial 90 days, but I don't want to steer you into trouble, so someone help us out there, please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cusanus:

 

Thanks. My questions stem from the fact that a spouse extension is known different in many ways from the retirement extension, but I can't find all the differences spelled out anywhere. For example, I understand after I apply in Chiang Mai, the application is processed in Bangkok, hence a significant delay - meaning one cannot wait until the last week or so on the generic "O" visa to apply (And I could be completely wrong about that. My recent prior post addressed the general information problem in more detail. Crickets.) I appreciate that the two visa types probably should parallel each other in most major respects, and I am very reluctant to just assume that. Maybe, though, anecdotes, hearsay and assumptions are all we ultimately have to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozziepat said:

cusanus: Thanks. My questions stem from the fact that a spouse extension is known different in many ways from the retirement extension, but I can't find all the differences spelled out anywhere. For example, I understand after I apply in Chiang Mai, the application is processed in Bangkok, hence a significant delay - meaning one cannot wait until the last week or so on the generic "O" visa to apply (And I could be completely wrong about that. My recent prior post addressed the general information problem in more detail. Crickets.) I appreciate that the two visa types probably should parallel each other in most major respects, and I am very reluctant to just assume that. Maybe, though, anecdotes, hearsay and assumptions are all we ultimately have to work with.

Why do I think you're wrong about that? I always got a great deal of pleasure as well as good answers by going to Immigration and asking. Also, advise taking a Thai friend, best a female friend who speaks excellent English, there with you. They can chat up a storm and get to the bottom line real quick. I did inquire about the Thai visa marriage myself about 10 years ago and was told that retirement was a much better option because of some kind of red tape, so that's what you're likely talking about. I didn't come up with 400k/200k by interpolating from retirement, but this had been discussed before with pretty fair consensus. I didn't tag on to Thaivisa until I'd been in Thailand for 6-8 years, can't really remember, but I went to Immigration frequently on a very friendly basis, not just to ask questions but to say Hello. I can't imagine that you couldn't get all your questions answered with authority if you were to try that. I've given that advice many times because many people seem to think they can't do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to change from retirement extension to spouse extension.Do I need to bring witness with me here in Chiang Mai.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have to change from retirement extension to spouse extension.Do I need to bring witness with me here in Chiang Mai.

I did not have to bring a witness to immigration but was required to have a witness when they came to do the house check the first year. They wanted a copy of their Thai ID, took a picture, and asked them some questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, Ozziepat said:

cusanus:  Maybe, though, anecdotes, hearsay and assumptions are all we ultimately have to work with.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...