BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

I always let the copy shop handle the copies. About three pages from the passport.

I've never shown proof of residence other than the TM30 that I had this year for the first time. 

It's telling that 2/3 of the page above is about ..... money.  

Old scout motto "Be prepared"

For my retirement extension last January I took photocopies of all pages of my nearly expired passport which covered annual CM retirement extensions back 6-7 years.Surely most of no importance, or interest, apart from the pedantic officers request.

The officer also questioned why my BB investment account only showed 800,000 baht ?

I replied politely "Because that's the law" "Hmph you should have more" as she stamped the copies away.

I have a plastic carry case which is about 4 cm deep,specifically for Imm visits, and is constantly topped up with yet more paperwork. 

Hopefully I wont get the same lady who was that day attending to the "volunteer visa" application desk.

My wife and I just went through the TM 30 registration of my Daughter and Grandson staying with us for 10 days .A heads up if your wife, as the house owner, is not already registered don't go on the weekends as we did.We were greeted by 3 very pleasant lady officers on floor 1 who simply can't use the system to record your details so it meant going back again the next day. They insisted we have our photo taken with them 😊

23 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

My wife and I just went through the TM 30 registration of my Daughter and Grandson staying with us for 10 days

Why would you even bother?

We have a letter from the British Consulate in Chiang Mai from 2011 notarizing our marriage certificate which is required for dependent extension of stay. 

Nothing has changed in that time, we are still married, the letter still clearly notarizes our marriage.We have used it for 8 consequetive extensions of stay.

When we did our last extension of stay we were told that the notarized letter is old and next year we need a new one or we won't get our extension.

This I guess would require a couple of trips to the BE in Bangkok which I assume is still there?

This just sees yet another extreme from immigration which I guess is not a law just an IO whim?     

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

When we did our last extension of stay we were told that the notarized letter is old and next year we need a new one or we won't get our extension.

This I guess would require a couple of trips to the BE in Bangkok which I assume is still there? 

It's a bit more complicated I'm afraid.  They haven't been accepting the letter from the embassy  for about 4 years, you've been a bit lucky to get away with it.  My husband's retirement extension is 6 months out from mine, we're always in UK when mine is due so I've been mailing it to Thai embassy in London for maybe 7 years now.  That's changed and I have to do it here next year, I got mine just a few days before the announcement in May.

When the changes came in, it was a 3 stage process of seemingly mindless bureaucracy.  Firstly get a copy of your marriage certificate and have it certified by the FCO.  This is all done online with a credit card, it took about 3 days.  The mailing address I gave them for it was for the Thai embassy in London, and I sent them an email letting them know that it was coming and that I needed it to be certified and gave my credit card number for the fee, about GPB10 I think, and I asked them to mail it to my mother's address.  No problems at all, all very easy.  When I finally got to see the certificate, it was a full print out of the certificate, identical to the one I have, and on the back it was certified by the FCO, and a second stamp certifying that the FCO certification was genuine from the Thai embassy.  This was always OK to use in UK, I have provided a copy of this every year, didn't need to use the marriage certificate in Thailand so I didn't bother with the 3rd and final step; having the Thai embassy (certified) certification certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  This was surprisingly easy, go to office, clearly marked and easy to find in a maze of government offices, show passport, couple of photocopies of it, fill in a form, pay (I think) 200 baht and come back the following day to pick it up.  Now I can legally use the marriage certificate, complete with 3 certification stamps, here in Thailand.

I would suggest that you send an email to the Thai embassy in London just to let them know what you are going to do, then get the certified copy from the FCO sent to them.  I would further suggest that you have the Thai embassy mail the certified copy to someone in UK and have them send it to you here registered mail if the embassy won't do registered post for international mail - they probably do, asking the question can be the opener for starting a conversation about this with them.

Then, as I said, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 200 baht and done.  It's actually far less painful than I imagined it would be.

EDIT:  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in the government complex at Chiang Puak

10 minutes ago, Konini said:

It's a bit more complicated I'm afraid.  They haven't been accepting the letter from the embassy  for about 4 years, you've been a bit lucky to get away with it.  My husband's retirement extension is 6 months out from mine, we're always in UK when mine is due so I've been mailing it to Thai embassy in London for maybe 7 years now.  That's changed and I have to do it here next year, I got mine just a few days before the announcement in May.

When the changes came in, it was a 3 stage process of seemingly mindless bureaucracy.  Firstly get a copy of your marriage certificate and have it certified by the FCO.  This is all done online with a credit card, it took about 3 days.  The mailing address I gave them for it was for the Thai embassy in London, and I sent them an email letting them know that it was coming and that I needed it to be certified and gave my credit card number for the fee, about GPB10 I think, and I asked them to mail it to my mother's address.  No problems at all, all very easy.  When I finally got to see the certificate, it was a full print out of the certificate, identical to the one I have, and on the back it was certified by the FCO, and a second stamp certifying that the FCO certification was genuine from the Thai embassy.  This was always OK to use in UK, I have provided a copy of this every year, didn't need to use the marriage certificate in Thailand so I didn't bother with the 3rd and final step; having the Thai embassy (certified) certification certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  This was surprisingly easy, go to office, clearly marked and easy to find in a maze of government offices, show passport, couple of photocopies of it, fill in a form, pay (I think) 200 baht and come back the following day to pick it up.  Now I can legally use the marriage certificate, complete with 3 certification stamps, here in Thailand.

I would suggest that you send an email to the Thai embassy in London just to let them know what you are going to do, then get the certified copy from the FCO sent to them.  I would further suggest that you have the Thai embassy mail the certified copy to someone in UK and have them send it to you here registered mail if the embassy won't do registered post for international mail - they probably do, asking the question can be the opener for starting a conversation about this with them.

Then, as I said, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 200 baht and done.  It's actually far less painful than I imagined it would be.

EDIT:  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in the government complex at Chiang Puak

Thanks.

We go together with the wife as dependent, not quite the same as your situation?

1 hour ago, Konini said:

It's a bit more complicated I'm afraid.  They haven't been accepting the letter from the embassy  for about 4 years, you've been a bit lucky to get away with it.  ...

You call that eezy peezy? Now I know I have Alzheimer's. God help me. What is an FCO?

I have two questions:-

1. Once you have been through this procedure, the legalised Marriage Certificate is then good for future years / extensions?

2. If my wife and I both have our own  extensions, then this Marriage Certificate requirement is not applicable

12 hours ago, HullyGully said:

I have two questions:-

1. Once you have been through this procedure, the legalised Marriage Certificate is then good for future years / extensions?

2. If my wife and I both have our own  extensions, then this Marriage Certificate requirement is not applicable

No and yes.

As in my earlier post we have in fact used the same certification (almost) for 17 years only to be told this year it is no longer acceptable.

14 hours ago, cusanus said:

You call that eezy peezy? Now I know I have Alzheimer's. God help me. What is an FCO?

Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

In previous years i would apply for an extension for myself and a dependant extension for my UK wife

I would produce my marriage certificate and a Letter of Certification from the British Consulate Chiang Mai. Both was acceptable

Thailand / Konini are you saying the FCO / Thai Embassy procedure has to NEW every year and CNX IM will not accept previous FCO / Thai Embassy documents

No, we are simply saying they can and will and have changed the rules and are quite capable of doing it again.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, JimGant said:

Why would you even bother?

Just following the current law Jim.More my wife's idea, as the house owner, than mine.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, Thailand said:

Thanks.

We go together with the wife as dependent, not quite the same as your situation?

Yes, Mr K has a Non-O (retirement) and I am his dependent.  Following a high flying career, I've been reduced to being one of my husband's good and chattels  🙄

22 hours ago, cusanus said:

Foreign and Commonwealth Office.  British version of what they call Dept Foreign Affairs in Australia.  Most countries not clinging on to the glory days of the Raj will be Foreign Affairs or similar words.

• Thanks 1