BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

50 minutes ago, Konini said:

Yes, Mr K has a Non-O (retirement) and I am his dependent.  Following a high flying career, I've been reduced to being one of my husband's good and chattels  🙄

But a unique chattel nonetheless.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HullyGully said:

I have two questions:-

1. Once you have been through this procedure, the legalised Marriage Certificate is then good for future years / extensions?

2. If my wife and I both have our own  extensions, then this Marriage Certificate requirement is not applicable

1. Yes, until they change the rules again the legalised certificate is good for life.  It really isn't that painful.  I had it researched and the copy ordered really quickly (half hour or so, with one eye on the television so it could be done faster.).  I've just looked at my emails and have put the links on the names of where you go.  To get going, you have to register with My Gov or something similar, then you're good to go with a lot of different government business.  I'm sure that it's that site where you can upload a photo (I think it has to be from your passport, or a copy of your passport so that they can verify that the photo you submitted matches) then once your photo is in the system you can do your drivers' licence and all sorts of other things without having to attend offices in person.  I can't remember if I did that, I think it was something I was going to do later.

Looks like I missed a step and got at least one wrong.  You get the marriage certificate from Govt Records Office (GBP11) and if possible have it sent to someone in UK, mine must have gone to mam's.  I'm sure you could get it sent here if your mail is reliable. Once the certificate has been received, you go to FCO Certification website, fill in the details and pay (GBP30), then print and fill out a form, put the payment reference number on and sign it . Scan the form and send it to whoever has got your certificate and get them to print it (you could always print out the form, sign it and post it if the person on the other end doesn't do computers). Once the person who has the certificate also has the form, ask them to pin them together and mail them to the FCO.   Next step is to send it to the Thai embassy in London, I think they charged GBP10 (CASH ONLY!!!). The form to complete is here, choose LEGALISATION and don't forget the copies of your passport (I think I sent both of ours, photo page and current extension page, not clear if they needed both or just the applicant so better to send both).  Final step once you have the legalised certificate from the Thai Embassy in your hands is to go to the govt complex at Chiang Puak (I'm pretty sure it's on at least one bus route now if you don't have transport), 5 minutes, 200 baht and back the next day to pick it up.

2. If they are totally separate, stand alone Non-O extensions then no.  If one of you is the dependent, yes. I don't like having 800,000 tied up when it could be earning very good money elsewhere, there's no way that I would have two times that so I choose the indignity of being a lesser person.  We aren't of pension age for a good 10 years yet (it's 67 in both UK and Aus), we have a self managed superannuation fund in Aus that we could start drawing on but until Mr K reaches the age of 60, we would have to pay tax on any withdrawals.  This means we could do the income method, but it doesn't make financial sense; I'd rather the 800,000 was tied up for 6 months than start drawing on the super fund as once we aren't able to make any further contributions to the fund once it starts making distributions and would have to open a new fund, too much messing about.

Sorry for a bit of misinformation, hope this complete with relevant links works.

• Thanks 2

It's not "centralized" in the U.S. with each county having it's own set of rules about requesting certified copies of marriage, divorce and death certificates.  We discovered this a couple years ago when we thought we'd want to move to Malaysia under their 10 year retirement visa program and, unlike Thailand where we each can maintain our own retirement visas, they want married couples to come in as a couple.  

Our original 40+ year old marriage certificate didn't cut it, so we had to request a new certified copy from the Payne County (OK) courthouse.  Now Hubby and I had the good fortune to be in Oklahoma together for just a year of grad school  and we found the place even more foreign than Thailand.  But, just like being in Thailand, you could use your charms to work the locals and that's what I did to get our new certified marriage certificates.

In looking at the county website, I discovered they had a new courthouse, probably built in the 80s or 90s and the old one, build in the 1880s, where Hubby and I were married had become a historic landmark, so I wrote a nice email to the county clerk asking about the fee for a certified marriage certificate, explaining how we were married in the old, very cramped courthouse, including some photos of the courthouse wedding with us posing next to a trash can in the hall with our party of other, equally out-of-place grad students.  How our marriage had thrived for over 40 years and we needed a recently certified marriage certificate for a visa application.  I received a nice email in reply and the ladies sent us two certified marriage certificates to our U.S. mail forwarding address.  Bingo!

Hubby likes to point out that we were married in the Payne (Pain) County Courthouse, but it turned out to be a good beginning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I received a nice email in reply and the ladies sent us two certified marriage certificates to our U.S. mail forwarding address.  Bingo!

Hubby likes to point out that we were married in the Payne (Pain) County Courthouse, but it turned out to be a good beginning.

Sounds so much easier than the British way.  After 35 years, I still call Mr K my first husband to keep him on his toes.  The very grim Registry Office in the even grimmer Middlesbrough at 9 o'clock on a miserable rainy Monday morning. (We only told our parents that we were getting married, and those phone calls were made on the Friday night. Both mothers were upset about not having a nice dress and fancy hat and a big day for a while but they laugh about it now.  Two days over a weekend wasn't enough time for them to organise anything, which is just what we wanted).

Also Nancy, do you mind me asking why you didn't go to Malaysia?  I remember seeing posts as you were inquiring and preparing, but then I dropped off the radar for a year or so, missing the conclusion.  I've always preferred Malaysia to Thailand but I hate the politics there - I was arrested at an anti-apartheid demo in London a million years ago and still have very strong feelings about that kind of thing; the system have in Malaysia is no better than South Africa had.  Whilst the politics have always held me back, the immigration situation here is really starting to grind my gears, every time I think 'that's it' they slip in a new requirement designed just to irritate me.  No worries about us ever being knocked back, we will always be able to more than meet their requirements, it just annoys me how they keep changing things.  So much easier in Malaysia for us so it is tempting, and we have a lot of very good friends there.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's not "centralized" in the U.S. with each county having it's own set of rules about requesting certified copies of marriage, divorce and death certificates.  We discovered this a couple years ago when we thought we'd want to move to Malaysia under their 10 year retirement visa program and, unlike Thailand where we each can maintain our own retirement visas, they want married couples to come in as a couple.  

Our original 40+ year old marriage certificate didn't cut it, so we had to request a new certified copy from the Payne County (OK) courthouse.  Now Hubby and I had the good fortune to be in Oklahoma together for just a year of grad school  and we found the place even more foreign than Thailand.  But, just like being in Thailand, you could use your charms to work the locals and that's what I did to get our new certified marriage certificates.

In looking at the county website, I discovered they had a new courthouse, probably built in the 80s or 90s and the old one, build in the 1880s, where Hubby and I were married had become a historic landmark, so I wrote a nice email to the county clerk asking about the fee for a certified marriage certificate, explaining how we were married in the old, very cramped courthouse, including some photos of the courthouse wedding with us posing next to a trash can in the hall with our party of other, equally out-of-place grad students.  How our marriage had thrived for over 40 years and we needed a recently certified marriage certificate for a visa application.  I received a nice email in reply and the ladies sent us two certified marriage certificates to our U.S. mail forwarding address.  Bingo!

OT, but why did you abandon your plans to retire in Malaysia?

How long before expiry apply extension.

I've seen mention of this, but couldn't find anything definitive.

How many days before expiry can you apply for a new extension of stay?

Are there any draw backs in applying early?

Is the O-A and marriage extension the same?

Any other hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks....

Edited by lolex
formatted

59 minutes ago, lolex said:

Thanks....

45 days

No

I believe so but not sure.

Check and re check and then check again.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, RJRS1301 said:

On 9/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, connda said:

On 9/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, legend49 said:

3 hours ago, lolex said:

Thanks....

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

Edited by Tracyb

12 hours ago, Kelsall said:

OT, but why did you abandon your plans to retire in Malaysia?

I've discussed this on other threads, but will summarize here.  We went so far as to collect all the documents needed and Hubby applied for the MM2H 10 year visas in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah state without using an agent since every agent we contacted quoted the legal max fee even though all our documents were already in English (the required documents filled a big notebook).  Hubby found Malaysian Immigration to be very accommodating -- none of the nit-picking like you find here "should have signed in blue ink", "copy passport pages in portrait, not landscape", etc.  Everything in our notebook was A-OK and the next step was to open a local bank account.

There, Hubby found that no local bank wanted to open an account for Americans. They didn't want to do the reporting the U.S. gov't requires.  Finally, Hubby mentioned we have Thai bank accounts and the story changed.  No problem, they'd open accounts as if we were Thai and we'd transfer money in through our Thai accounts.  I called our U.S. credit union to see if this was legal and they pointed out the requirement to report overseas bank accounts to the US gov't was our responsibility, not the banks, so yes it was legal, just not a very cost effective way to move money.

But, a week or so before Hubby went to apply for the MM2H visas we attended a seminar in Chiang Mai conducted by a U.S. tax accountant who worked in Bangkok.  It was about the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and how it handles U.S. sourced retirement income, specifically private pensions and 401k/IRA sourced income.  As a result of this seminar, we had the accountant file amended for the previous three years and we received very nice refunds from the IRS.  There isn't a tax treaty between the U.S. and Malaysia and the tax savings is great enough that it caused us to rethink our plan to move to Malaysia.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tracyb said:

On 9/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, NancyL said:

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

Is 45 days inclusive of the expiry date ?

Does immigration open during weekends for retirement extension?

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is 45 days inclusive of the expiry date ?

Does immigration open during weekends for retirement extension?

Yes and No.

The TM 6 is about to be scrapped ( Arrival / Departure card )

The IMM department, probably BKK has 2 warehouse's full of TM 6

Applied for a retirement extension today.

Arrived at office at 9:00.  Received queue number R13, R11 was being processed

15 minute wait before seeing immigration officer at counter 8.

Presented my papers.  Officer asked for copies of the TM30 and 90 day receipts (never been asked for copies of those before, but had them in case they were needed).

Signed a few papers, had my photo taken, told to wait for return of passport at 9:25.

Received passport with new extension 10:15.

Such a big improvement on the chaos of last year.  If only they could only improve the waiting time to get the passport back, but it's better than some other offices where you have to return the following day.

• Like 2