BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

59 minutes ago, lolex said:

How long before expiry apply extension.

I've seen mention of this, but couldn't find anything definitive.

How many days before expiry can you apply for a new extension of stay?

Are there any draw backs in applying early?

Is the O-A and marriage extension the same?

Any other hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks....

45 days

No

I believe so but not sure.

Check and re check and then check again.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, RJRS1301 said:

On 9/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, connda said:

On 9/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, legend49 said:

3 hours ago, lolex said:

How long before expiry apply extension.

I've seen mention of this, but couldn't find anything definitive.

How many days before expiry can you apply for a new extension of stay?

Are there any draw backs in applying early?

Is the O-A and marriage extension the same?

Any other hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks....

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

Edited by Tracyb

12 hours ago, Kelsall said:

OT, but why did you abandon your plans to retire in Malaysia?

I've discussed this on other threads, but will summarize here.  We went so far as to collect all the documents needed and Hubby applied for the MM2H 10 year visas in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah state without using an agent since every agent we contacted quoted the legal max fee even though all our documents were already in English (the required documents filled a big notebook).  Hubby found Malaysian Immigration to be very accommodating -- none of the nit-picking like you find here "should have signed in blue ink", "copy passport pages in portrait, not landscape", etc.  Everything in our notebook was A-OK and the next step was to open a local bank account.

There, Hubby found that no local bank wanted to open an account for Americans. They didn't want to do the reporting the U.S. gov't requires.  Finally, Hubby mentioned we have Thai bank accounts and the story changed.  No problem, they'd open accounts as if we were Thai and we'd transfer money in through our Thai accounts.  I called our U.S. credit union to see if this was legal and they pointed out the requirement to report overseas bank accounts to the US gov't was our responsibility, not the banks, so yes it was legal, just not a very cost effective way to move money.

But, a week or so before Hubby went to apply for the MM2H visas we attended a seminar in Chiang Mai conducted by a U.S. tax accountant who worked in Bangkok.  It was about the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and how it handles U.S. sourced retirement income, specifically private pensions and 401k/IRA sourced income.  As a result of this seminar, we had the accountant file amended for the previous three years and we received very nice refunds from the IRS.  There isn't a tax treaty between the U.S. and Malaysia and the tax savings is great enough that it caused us to rethink our plan to move to Malaysia.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Chiang Mai Imm accepts TM 7 applications up to 45 days ahead of time.  

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tracyb said:

On 9/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, NancyL said:

And you don't "lose" any time because they date your new extension 365 days from the expiration of your previous extension.  Unlike the 90 day reports, which are dated 90 days from when you submit the report.

Is 45 days inclusive of the expiry date ?

Does immigration open during weekends for retirement extension?

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is 45 days inclusive of the expiry date ?

Does immigration open during weekends for retirement extension?

Yes and No.

The TM 6 is about to be scrapped ( Arrival / Departure card )

The IMM department, probably BKK has 2 warehouse's full of TM 6

Applied for a retirement extension today.

Arrived at office at 9:00.  Received queue number R13, R11 was being processed

15 minute wait before seeing immigration officer at counter 8.

Presented my papers.  Officer asked for copies of the TM30 and 90 day receipts (never been asked for copies of those before, but had them in case they were needed).

Signed a few papers, had my photo taken, told to wait for return of passport at 9:25.

Received passport with new extension 10:15.

Such a big improvement on the chaos of last year.  If only they could only improve the waiting time to get the passport back, but it's better than some other offices where you have to return the following day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delboy said:

Such a big improvement on the chaos of last year.  If only they could only improve the waiting time to get the passport back, but it's better than some other offices where you have to return the following day.

I don't remember any chaos of last year.

The only thing I do remember of past yearS were waking up at 5 am in the morning and queuing up at Promenada only to get back my passport at noon time or later.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, delboy said:

Snip

Presented my papers.  Officer asked for copies of the TM30 and 90 day receipts (never been asked for copies of those before, but had them in case they were needed).

Two copies?  Sounds like they may be starting to be a bit difficult again, asking for things people probably won't have.  I hope not, things have been so much better since Big Joke shook things up.

16 minutes ago, Konini said:

Two copies?  Sounds like they may be starting to be a bit difficult again, asking for things people probably won't have.  I hope not, things have been so much better since Big Joke shook things up.

Don't believe he meant two copies. Helped a friend with her extension in June. One copy. Just like mine in January, but I do make a complete set of the passport that includes TM30 and last 90 day as they are required two be stapled in. 

19 hours ago, delboy said:

Applied for a retirement extension today.

Arrived at office at 9:00.  Received queue number R13, R11 was being processed

15 minute wait before seeing immigration officer at counter 8.

Signed a few papers, had my photo taken, told to wait for return of passport at 9:25.

Received passport with new extension 10:15.

The improvement in waiting time is due to the mass exodus of western expats fed up with immigrations latest restrictions to live here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The improvement in waiting time is due to the mass exodus of western expats fed up with immigrations latest restrictions

Not a serious problem for many of us, but I doubt I could have come to Thailand 14 years ago if they were that picky. My guess is that it will hurt Thailand more than it will help, but might help us long timers more than it hurts. There are a few other things about Thailand that may end up forcing me to leave, but hopefully not because I've been really happy here. 

• Thanks 1

some say they are not helpful/my last 90day i posted 

i was 1 copy short /they rang wife and asked her to email a copy 

very polite request