Jump to content
BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Need some help please.  I went to the visa agent to get an extension of my retirement visa.  I brought a printout of my Bangkok bank account showing all my international transfers.  The agent said the printout was not enough and I needed a bank letter and a Social Security letter.  I went to my Bangkok Bank in Maejo and they told me they do not give bank letters as requested by immigration they do not have the program.  Question to members, what Bangkok Branch did you use to get that letter?

These days bank letters are always required. I've always gotten mine at the Hang Dong intersection BIg C branch, no hassle. Would guess any branch in Chiang Mai would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Branch at Kad Suan Kaew shopping Mall.  They are very familiar with the needs of the expats, generally speak good English and know what the Thai Immig wants. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

I appreciate the answers.   Another questionIf my MaeJo branch won't issue a letter,  Can I bring my bank book and printout and go to Kad Suan Kaew and get the letter ?

 

 

You should be able to. I had always used my BBK branch in Bangkok for my international transfers. With all the changes I decided to change branches. I didn't close my Bangkok branch, but opened a new account with BBK in Mee Chok plaza in June. They did my letter for me and I used it to get my retirement extension. They told me any Bangkok Bank branch can do the letter, even if it is not your branch. I did have to wait 5 business days for the letter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

I appreciate the answers.   Another questionIf my MaeJo branch won't issue a letter,  Can I bring my bank book and printout and go to Kad Suan Kaew and get the letter ?

 

 

Hi, I suggest you go back to the Maejo branch and ask again, as I got my letter there just two weeks ago. Previously I got it at the Thapae main branch, where I had opened the account, but this year I thought I would try the local branch in Maejo. I asked the teller girl and she produced it without question in five minutes. There is often someone by the door to greet customers, they should be able to assist you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, davehowden said:

What does this "bank letter" show/state, and how is it different to a "bank statement".

The "bank letter" is simply a letter from the bank which, in Thai, verifies that you have the account and there is "x" amount in it.  So far, I've not heard anything about banks changing the format of their standard letter which they have on their computers (perhaps at some point they'll change the letter to discuss a bit more about the history of the account, e.g., that 800k baht has been in there for 60+ days or so).

"Bank statements" (at least how most people are using that term) simply means photocopies of one's passbook (which, of course, like all copies, you must place your signature).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CMBob said:

The "bank letter" is simply a letter from the bank which, in Thai, verifies that you have the account and there is "x" amount in it.  So far, I've not heard anything about banks changing the format of their standard letter which they have on their computers (perhaps at some point they'll change the letter to discuss a bit more about the history of the account, e.g., that 800k baht has been in there for 60+ days or so).

"Bank statements" (at least how most people are using that term) simply means photocopies of one's passbook (which, of course, like all copies, you must place your signature).

Thank you.

 

As I don't bother to update my passbook when I make an ATM withdrawal/ Transferwise deposit it shows an amalgamated balance the next time I do do an update. I would have thought a 12 months statement from the bank showing every transaction would have bee more useful, but then that's just my logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CMBob said:

like all copies, you must place your signature).

Don't bother with that. The IO will put a large stamp on all the copies, where you'll have to make your signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davehowden said:

Thank you. As I don't bother to update my passbook when I make an ATM withdrawal/ Transferwise deposit it shows an amalgamated balance the next time I do do an update. I would have thought a 12 months statement from the bank showing every transaction would have bee more useful, but then that's just my logic.

This is amalgamated government, not logic. You really should update your passbook once a month or more, anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Don't bother with that. The IO will put a large stamp on all the copies, where you'll have to make your signature.

That's a new one on me. Every visit since 2005 they've required me to SIGN every copy, never had the benefit of a stamp like that, though they do make a lot of stamps and seem to get a kick out of it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Don't bother with that. The IO will put a large stamp on all the copies, where you'll have to make your signature.

Not when we went last month,all copies signed in blue ink beforehand were accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Caspersfriend said:

Hi, I suggest you go back to the Maejo branch and ask again, as I got my letter there just two weeks ago. Previously I got it at the Thapae main branch, where I had opened the account, but this year I thought I would try the local branch in Maejo. I asked the teller girl and she produced it without question in five minutes. There is often someone by the door to greet customers, they should be able to assist you. 

Thank You,  I shall try them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CMBob said:

The "bank letter" is simply a letter from the bank which, in Thai, verifies that you have the account and there is "x" amount in it.  So far, I've not heard anything about banks changing the format of their standard letter which they have on their computers (perhaps at some point they'll change the letter to discuss a bit more about the history of the account, e.g., that 800k baht has been in there for 60+ days or so).

h

In my case a little different.  I am not trying to prove that I have 800K on deposit.  I need a letter showing that I had an incoming international transfer, once a month, every month, of at least 65K.  The bank employees were  not familiar with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

In my case a little different.  I am not trying to prove that I have 800K on deposit.  I need a letter showing that I had an incoming international transfer, once a month, every month, of at least 65K.  The bank employees were  not familiar with this.

KSG most certainly are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...