BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It is against the law to take photographs inside government buildings with numerous signs at CM Imm telling you so.

Before you ask, no I do not have a photo to prove it, see above

My last few posts were tongue in cheek, but I guess that wasn't very obvious. The farang in question was apparently able to read the sign even though in Thai, the other fellow overheard a phone conversation, so I guess we're toast. Have had real trouble finding a use for my first cell phone, but took a photo of the directions for my upcoming hospital cataract surgery (insured) and it was translated almost flawlessly by Google. 

Edited by cusanus

19 hours ago, placnx said:

The passbook had only monthly entries for transactions for Jul/Aug since I failed to update during those months, so the bank's 3-month printout was essential to show activity detail.

I've never had a printout from the bank or copies of the bankbook. Last time I did my extension the IO simply scanned the last several pages of my book right there. Next time I will take a copy, though. 

Re entry – multiple re entry visa.

As there was too big a mob scene last week when I did my non O extension. What is a good time to turn up at CM immigration say on Wednesday or Thursday? Just doing the Re Entry nothing else. Mid-morning or 1330 ok. Or do I need to turn up at 0620   - Again (!!)

Do I get a ticket up at main office front desk again? Or shunted off upstairs? Any help for a newby appreciated.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Dcheech said:

Re entry – multiple re entry visa.

As there was too big a mob scene last week when I did my non O extension. What is a good time to turn up at CM immigration say on Wednesday or Thursday? Just doing the Re Entry nothing else. Mid-morning or 1330 ok. Or do I need to turn up at 0620   - Again (!!)

Do I get a ticket up at main office front desk again? Or shunted off upstairs? Any help for a newby appreciated.

Thanks

You may want to wait until after November 1.  This week will be busy as people try to do their retirement extensions ahead of the October 31 deadline for health insurance.  

90 Days Online

I've used it every 90 days for years

but last three days can't get past the first page then the msg to see immigration office.

Maybe system maintenance?  Anyone had success or failure lately?

I hope this is the appropriate forum - couldn't find a better one. 

5 minutes ago, amexpat said:

90 Days Online

but last three days can't get past the first page then the msg to see immigration office.

That's what you'll see if you're within the last 7 days before the due date or more than 15. Not exactly sure what the cutoff is. Also, I suspect there has to be someone on the other end, so holidays or after hours could cause a problem. If you've replaced your passport that would also do it. 

Thanks but none of the above apply. As I said I've been doing this for years. 

3 hours ago, amexpat said:

90 Days Online

Anyone had success or failure lately?

Same failure and I eventually gave up and visited immigration. I had 25 numbers in front of me but managed to get out in 40 minutes. That was arriving at 1030 mid week day after a holiday.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

.......This week will be busy as people try to do their retirement extensions ahead of the October 31 deadline for health insurance.  

I take it you believe that people holding an O-A visa issued before November 1, 2019, have to obtain the insurance to obtain something (which I would guess would be an extension based on retirement or marriage given the "second" year of the O-A visa is only obtained by doing a re-entry into the country).  Presuming that's what you're saying or suggesting, why do you believe that?

39 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I take it you believe that people holding an O-A visa issued before November 1, 2019, have to obtain the insurance to obtain something (which I would guess would be an extension based on retirement or marriage given the "second" year of the O-A visa is only obtained by doing a re-entry into the country).  Presuming that's what you're saying or suggesting, why do you believe that?

Maybe she read this: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/10/10/health-insurance-will-be-mandatory-for-retiree-visa-holders/. A friend of mine with an O-A has renewed twice and has never had to leave the country, so I don't believe you've got that one right.  Then there's this one: https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2019/05/hefty-insurance-hovers-over-thai-visa/

Edited by cusanus

56 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Maybe she read this: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/10/10/health-insurance-will-be-mandatory-for-retiree-visa-holders/. A friend of mine with an O-A has renewed twice and has never had to leave the country, so I don't believe you've got that one right.  Then there's this one: https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2019/05/hefty-insurance-hovers-over-thai-visa/

The first article you quote starts out:  "Starting Oct. 31, foreigners over 50 entering the country with an O-A visa must show that they have valid health insurance covering their period of stay, deputy public health minister Sathit Pitutecha said."  That clearly will be the rule for people who obtain an O-A visa after October 31, 2019 (or, perhaps, for those who obtained an 0-A visa prior to November 1, 2019, and first entered Thailand after October 31st, 2019).  I was referring to people already here before November 1, 2019, who are here on an O-A visa and are either going to grab a second year (by, let's say, hopping over to Burma and back) or who, at the end of their first or second year, apply for an extension based on retirement or marriage.  Do you happen to see anything promulgated by Immigration (Police) that indicates there will be any retroactive application of the new insurance rule to those people?  I'm not saying 100% that it won't happen (although, for people grabbing onto their second year by a border hop, it defies understanding how that will be enforced....is airport or border-crossing Immigration going to say you can't come in or get your second year without showing your new long-stay insurance?) but I've seen nothing that says it will happen to those already here prior to November 1, 2019.  

What we agree on is that the new rule is clear that no Thai embassy/consulate in another country will apparently issue an 0-A visa to one of their citizens after October 31st unless the citizen provides as part of their application proof of the new "long-stay" insurance.  Starting next week, perhaps we might start getting reports from people who have already been here on an O-A visa and we'll start to understand if any retroactive application is applied for those seeking extensions within Thailand.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

The first article you quote starts out:  "Starting Oct. 31, foreigners over 50 entering the country with an O-A visa must show that they have valid health insurance covering their period of stay, deputy public health minister Sathit Pitutecha said."  That clearly will be the rule for people who obtain an O-A visa after October 31, 2019 (or, perhaps, for those who obtained an 0-A visa prior to November 1, 2019, and first entered Thailand after October 31st, 2019).  I was referring to people already here before November 1, 2019, who are here on an O-A visa and are either going to grab a second year (by, let's say, hopping over to Burma and back) or who, at the end of their first or second year, apply for an extension based on retirement or marriage.  Do you happen to see anything promulgated by Immigration (Police) that indicates there will be any retroactive application of the new insurance rule to those people?  I'm not saying 100% that it won't happen (although, for people grabbing onto their second year by a border hop, it defies understanding how that will be enforced....is airport or border-crossing Immigration going to say you can't come in or get your second year without showing your new long-stay insurance?) but I've seen nothing that says it will happen to those already here prior to November 1, 2019.  

What we agree on is that the new rule is clear that no Thai embassy/consulate in another country will apparently issue an 0-A visa to one of their citizens after October 31st unless the citizen provides as part of their application proof of the new "long-stay" insurance.  Starting next week, perhaps we might start getting reports from people who have already been here on an O-A visa and we'll start to understand if any retroactive application is applied for those seeking extensions within Thailand.

If you read a little farther, the official states clearly that it will apply to both those entering AND those seeking an extension. Right? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

If you read a little farther, the official states clearly that it will apply to both those entering AND those seeking an extension. Right? 

To those affected by the new ruling, yes.  

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

To those affected by the new ruling, yes.  

Not much clarity here. Hopefully it will not be my friend or any non Os

Edited by cusanus

18 hours ago, CMBob said:

Based on what a visa agent presented at the recent CM Expats Club General Meeting, yes, we were told that those who initially entered the country on an O-A visa and have been extending it each year will be asked for proof of insurance if they apply for an extension after October 31.

The visa agent pointed out the "non-imm O" loophole, which applies to Hubby and me.  I specifically asked about it.  A dozen years ago Hubby got an O-A visa from the Thai Chicago General Consul and I received an non-imm O as his dependent.  After entering Thailand, at some point I deposited 800,000 baht in a Thai bank solely in my name and received my own one-year retirement extensions.  So now we're both here on back-to-back one-year extensions due to retirement.

According to the visa agent speaking at the meeting, Hubby will need proof of insurance since he came in a dozen years ago on an O-A, but I won't since I came in on an O.

The way to check what you have if you no longer use the passport with your original visa is to look in the first page of visa stamps, where Immigration "transferred" your visa information.  It will clearly show if you had a "non-imm O" or an "non-imm O-A"

• Like 1