BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Has anyone renewed their retirement extension without needing health insurance after October 31? 

You do realize it's Saturday? Or is Immigration open on Saturdays? Anyway, maybe the government has Halloween confused with April Fool's. Or maybe it doesn't! Yikes!

I don’t THINK I read my calendar incorrectly....!

Edited by Tracyb

17 minutes ago, cusanus said:

You do realize it's Saturday? Or is Immigration open on Saturdays? Anyway, maybe the government has Halloween confused with April Fool's. Or maybe it doesn't! Yikes!

Actually, today is Friday, November 1. No?

39 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Actually, today is Friday, November 1. No?

Supposed 2 b a joke. Not funny i guess. Anyway, remember the old Doonesbury comic? Two old dudes are sitting on a park bench with the fall wind stirring up all the leaves. The one fella says, "Windy day, isn't it?" The other fella, maybe you, says, "No, I do believe it's Thursday." The first fella replies, "Hey, so am I. How about we go for a pop?" 
Anyway, Halloween being the 31st is apt. Yes?

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 1

I have O-A visa from beginning(2013).Have make retirement extension every year.Can I change to spouse extension this year?Do I need insurance?

57 minutes ago, anwa said:

I have O-A visa from beginning(2013).Have make retirement extension every year.Can I change to spouse extension this year?Do I need insurance?

That's what we want to know, we're waiting on you or a few others to pass go, or not, and tell us what happens. Pretty sure you can change from O-A to O, but don't know exactly how it's done. The spouse option is more hassle so don't do it if you don't have to. Well, that's what the IOs tell me. 

Edited by cusanus

i changed from married retirement to spouse visa this year

on wife friend advise  in immigration/ as is easier 

as i have had 400000b in bank past 8years was all that was required

you get one house visit to see you are living together /cheers

• Thanks 1

Ok, well, I've been called for being off topic, my wry humor not being understood as I struggle not to be blunt and have the mods kick my butt all the way to the English channel. So, the insurance issue has been bugging me more than it should, but was really hoping in vain we'd hear back from someone on it today. My oh my what a mess. I discovered this other thread on that topic which may interest some of you, http://bit.ly/34kOAwn, but still relevant to us. The last (first) person to have directly approached an IO relates that it will only be enforced for first time O-A applicants, which makes a lot more sense to me, and I hope it's always that way because that in itself will be enough to cause major hurt to Thailand, as little as I may be believed about that. Of course, I'm also not pleased with the possible cost to a special friend who like most pays her bills. The cost of her premiums after four years would exceed the maximum amount insured, and then it appears near impossible to even get insurance after 75. That's Halloween in my book. But either way it's the family that will be gouged for those premiums in the end. Most who could be affected should be thinking hard about that. I'll never have to pay for medical insurance personally and so why should I stick my neck out? Because I sincerely care about people and about Thailand and suspect that a statement on this thread might affect the outcome. Understood why my comments sometimes seem off the wall. If anyone has any experience here at CM with extending a visa, please let us know how that issue was dealt with. Also, anyone know the procedure for swapping an O-A out for an O? 

• Sad 1

^^^^Give it a break!!!!

rather tedious.

To my way of thinking😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, placnx said:

CNX: I did 800K extension yesterday. My helper arrived around 7:30 AM with the documents and a POA and was told that I would have to come back in person to get a queue number. So I got there about 40 min later, got queue 9. My bank letter was from 17th but update on passbook was 15th, less than a week. IO said that they would accept if latest passbook update was 4-5 days before, so I had to go out to update passbook. The passbook had only monthly entries for transactions for Jul/Aug since I failed to update during those months, so the bank's 3-month printout was essential to show activity detail.

I thought only 2 months is required and not 3 months anymore.

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

Until we get actual first-hand reports from applicants extending O-A visas at Chiang Mai Immigration, I think links to threads about other peoples' experiences overseas or in other provinces isn't relevant. And "entertaining suppositions" or insults about the intelligence of other forum members isn't helpful either.

I've been told I'm wrong about you and owe you an apology. I suppose I do. It simply isn't conceivable to me that anyone occupies such a role. If you're helping people, that's wonderful, but please consider how unfair it is for those of us who have lived here many years to be suddenly paying large sums for insurance that we don't need and with no idea how that helps anyone. What about us?

44 minutes ago, cusanus said:

please consider how unfair it is for those of us who have lived here many years to be suddenly paying large sums for insurance that we don't need

It does not seem that buying insurance is necessary.  Clearly the issue applies to only a small speicific group and there seem to be very easy alternatives to getting out of that group and into one without insurance requirements.