BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

On 10/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, placnx said:

CNX: I did 800K extension yesterday. My helper arrived around 7:30 AM with the documents and a POA and was told that I would have to come back in person to get a queue number. So I got there about 40 min later, got queue 9. My bank letter was from 17th but update on passbook was 15th, less than a week. IO said that they would accept if latest passbook update was 4-5 days before, so I had to go out to update passbook. The passbook had only monthly entries for transactions for Jul/Aug since I failed to update during those months, so the bank's 3-month printout was essential to show activity detail.

I thought only 2 months is required and not 3 months anymore.

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

Until we get actual first-hand reports from applicants extending O-A visas at Chiang Mai Immigration, I think links to threads about other peoples' experiences overseas or in other provinces isn't relevant. And "entertaining suppositions" or insults about the intelligence of other forum members isn't helpful either.

I've been told I'm wrong about you and owe you an apology. I suppose I do. It simply isn't conceivable to me that anyone occupies such a role. If you're helping people, that's wonderful, but please consider how unfair it is for those of us who have lived here many years to be suddenly paying large sums for insurance that we don't need and with no idea how that helps anyone. What about us?

44 minutes ago, cusanus said:

please consider how unfair it is for those of us who have lived here many years to be suddenly paying large sums for insurance that we don't need

It does not seem that buying insurance is necessary.  Clearly the issue applies to only a small speicific group and there seem to be very easy alternatives to getting out of that group and into one without insurance requirements.

53 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

It does not seem that buying insurance is necessary.  Clearly the issue applies to only a small speicific group and there seem to be very easy alternatives to getting out of that group and into one without insurance requirements.

It's beginning to look that way. My sincere apologies to all who I've offended and for being so hysterical about the issue. 

• Sad 1

Clearly, my experiences are much different than those on the site and none of us are benefitting from my efforts. Oddly enough, a person cannot delete his/her account, so I'm kind of stuck here. If I'm wrong about that, too, please have a moderator delete the account; meanwhile, I'll end with the apology to all who may have been offended and try to keep out of it. Thanks.

• Sad 1

On 10/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, NancyL said:

You may want to wait until after November 1.  This week will be busy as people try to do their retirement extensions ahead of the October 31 deadline for health insurance.  

Went along last Thursday 31st Oct at 10.45 am and was first in the queue for an extension of stay based on marriage . Seen at 10.55am and application dealt with in c.35 mins. One minor glitch was I had a bank letter and banks statement from the day before but the passbook was not updated so had to re visit the bank. All in all a swift and courteous service without an agent. Well done to CNX Immigration.

• Haha 1

After receiving my extension the IO at CM made it clear that they will check the 3 months / 800K and 400K minimum next year, so make sure it does not dip below ! 

8 hours ago, CMBob said:

That's what the new police order says but there have been visa agents running around saying that people with older O-A visas (ones which were issued years ago and have been annually extended based on retirement or marriage) would also have to comply with the long-stay health insurance requirements when they extended after October 31, 2019.  Yours is the first and only report (so far) that what the visa agents are proclaiming isn't true (however, likely we'll need many reports in the next month or two to hopefully confirm that no health insurance requirements are required for the prior O-A visa holders). 

Visa agents themselves are confused as to the new laws which is not surprising judging from the inexact definition of the requirement from immigration.

Judging from the posts in this forum, quite a lot of retirees have switched to visitor visa or went to other countries (Philippines, Vietnam) since July 2019 when the embassy letters were no longer accepted.

So you might have to wait quite a while for the other reports to come in but I don't think it will be different from mine.

By noon time that day, there were only around 10 people who applied for retirement visa judging from the queue number. This is a far cry from a few years ago in Promenada when more than 20 places were filled up quickly before 8 am in the morning.

Edited by EricTh

" but there have been visa agents running around saying that people with older O-A visas (ones which were issued years ago and have been annually extended based on retirement or marriage) would also have to comply with the long-stay health insurance requirements when they extended after October 31, 2019. "

Cannot think why visa agents would say that, umm any ideas !!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

but there have been visa agents running around saying that people with older O-A visas (ones which were issued years ago and have been annually extended based on retirement or marriage) would also have to comply with the long-stay health insurance requirements when they extended after October 31, 2019. 

The history of reports of what visa agents have said has shown that information is often unreliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2019 at 9:19 AM, cusanus said:

The spouse option is more hassle so don't do it if you don't have to. Well, that's what the IOs tell me. 

What the IOs tell you of course, as it is more work for them, and less open to corruption due to the two levels approval. My recommendation to all those who are in solid, "real", marriage would be to consider this option.

• Like 1