CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Can you tell me which IO told you that because when I went for retirement extension this week, the IO at counter 8 (who is a middle-aged guy) didn't mention anything about this and maybe he might have forgotten.

Sounds like the same guy at Counter 8, he was very polite and helpful. When my extension was approved, I asked if I had to come back in 3 months to confirm, as I had seen from other Immigration offices. Then he said................

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nonsense posts removed.   This is not a topic for "fun" or stupid quips or a place to try out poor attempts at humour. Any further instances in this topic and they will be dealt with ha

Questions and Answers on all ""Immigration" issues in Chiang Mai.   Posts that are off topic, argumentative, etc. will be aggressively removed to keep this topic with useful information

Until we get actual first-hand reports from applicants extending O-A visas at Chiang Mai Immigration, I think links to threads about other peoples' experiences overseas or in other provinces isn't rel

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Presuming he could identify the given IO (which is unlikely at least by name), does it really matter?  You ought to know the rules by now and should expect that, at your next annual extension, they'll be checking to see that you maintained minimums of 800k baht for 3 months after your prior application date, 800k for 2 months prior to your next application date, and 400k for all the other months.  

If people ought to know the rules by now, then why do so many people have arguments over the O-A retirement extension rules over many threads?

You are just assuming they will check next year but I have also read some reports here that say the retiree went back after 3 months to show their bank account book if anybody can remember that report.

So obviously, what you are saying is different from what that retiree reported .

Edited by EricTh
5 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Sounds like the same guy at Counter 8, he was very polite and helpful. When my extension was approved, I asked if I had to come back in 3 months to confirm, as I had seen from other Immigration offices. Then he said................

It seems that he's the same guy who is mild mannered and middle aged.

I didn't ask him like you did because I assume that he would tell me all the requirements.

So can I confirm we don't have to come back to show our bank-book after 3 months and he will only check at the next extension one year from now?

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It seems that he's the same guy who is mild mannered and middle aged.

I didn't ask him like you did because I assume that he would tell me all the requirements.

So can I confirm we don't have to come back to show our bank-book after 3 months and he will only check at the next extension one year from now?

Yes, that is what I was clearly told, check next extension in one year.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Is there a visa called officially a “retirement visa”?  Is it a Non I’m O or AO or OA?

It seems that there are more than one type of retirement visa which I found out only this week.

It is called a retirement extension based on the initial visa which can be either non-imm O or non-imm OA. 

The word 'retirement' is stamped on my passport in red on the extension stamp but not on the initial visa stamp.

I am not sure whether marriage visa has a non-imm O as well.

Edited by EricTh
8 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Is there a visa called officially a “retirement visa”?  Is it a Non I’m O or AO or OA?

If anyone who has been here quite a few years will know

That if you look at your Visa Extension  Stamp in your passport

It will say Retirement

Mine was a A O VIsa from overseas

A friend saw his local respected Chian Mai Agent recently

He asked the question

If you have a A O Visa will the medical insurance be needed

He stated NO

As after a A O Visa has been extended within the Country it has become a O Visa

I think we all just have to wait till a few Visas have been renewed to hear the full outcome

Plus i see another Immigration forum has been suspended

Hope this one will not be

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It seems that there are more than one type of retirement visa which I found out only this week.

It is called a retirement extension based on the initial visa which can be non-imm O or non-imm OA. 

The word 'retirement' is stamped on my passport in red on the extension stamp but not on the initial visa stamp.

I am not sure whether marriage visa has a non-imm O as well.

Also Non-Imm B, as mine was 14 years ago before converting to a retirement extension.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just to clarify:

An OA visa can only be obtained in your home country ( or a country where you have permanent residence ).

It is Multi Entry and valid for 1 year, every time you enter Thailand on an OA you receive an “admitted  until “ stamp for one year ( hence if entering shortly before it expires you can obtain almost 2 years)

1st year you are on a ME visa

2nd year you are on permission to stay 

At the end of the 2nd year ( and onwards ) you make a 1 year extension , it does not become an O visa .

You are on a retirement extension of your permission to stay based on an OA visa.

You report every 90 days ,continuously in country, to your local IO.

A non imm O visa gives you 90 days stay.

A single entry is valid for 90 days, a multi entry gives you 90 days stay but is valid for 1 year, on a ME you have to leave the country every 90 days.

You have the option to make an extension of your permission to stay based on a non imm O visa ( retirement, marriage, etc ) and then you are on an identical extension as the non imm OA ( except for the insurance malarkey ) and report to immigration every 90 days continuously in country.

I already know all of the above

We will just have to wait till more people have there extensions at Chaing Mai  Immigration approved

• Like 1

A few days ago I  posted a list in Thai received from chief Chiang Mai Immigration officers on duty of the 14 accredited Thai insurance companies for 40/400 heath insurance coverage.  The longstay.tgia site only lists 12 at present (10 November).  The two companies NOT on the site are Bangkok Insurance Company (https://www.bangkokinsurance.com/)  and Syn Mun Kong (smk.co.th).  But both can be contacted by phone or message.

It appears to me that their web sites are not yet ready in English.

Since I received this from CM Immigration I am not posting it elsewhere.  If someone wishes to do a complete translation into English, please do one and post it.

1420054316_Longstay.TGIAAccreditedHealthInsuranceCompanies7NOV19(1).pdf

• CharlieH locked and unpinned this topic