Jump to content
BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

Recommended Posts

Late edit to Post 1230 above with additional information:

 

 

Further information:

 

 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sheryl said:

US citizens:

 

As mentioned I emailed the Embassy and much to my pleasant surprised received a very prompt response as follows:

 

"Sheryl,

 

 

Thank you very much for your email and this on-the-ground perspective.  Over the past six months, we have been engaging the Royal Thai government (RTG) to attempt to ensure that U.S. health insurance policies can be used to satisfy the new immigration requirement for health insurance for foreign retirees.  This advocacy was done by official Diplomatic Note, as well as during the recent RTG press conference announcing the policy.  During that event, the Consul General cited US veterans with TRICARE coverage specially as a population of concern in Thailand.  At least one other Embassy (the UK) cited concern as well.

 

 

The U.S. Embassy plans to continue our advocacy with the RTG regarding the option for U.S. citizens to use existing insurance – regardless of where that insurance is based – to meet the requirements.  We acknowledge there could be a difficult transition period as the Thai’s determine exactly how to implement the new health insurance requirement.  As you note, the language in the official police order is vague in some respects.  Therefore, we may have some room to navigate and improve on implementation. 

 

 

Ultimately, this is a Thai regulation and the Thai government is the final arbiter of how this regulation will be implemented.

 

 

Again, we will continue to engage with the RTP on this issue.

 

 

Respectfully,

 

 

ACS"

 

I again encourage others -- and not just Americans - to contact their Embassies as  it appears that they at least have the opportunity to engage in dialogue on the issue, which is a lot more than we do.

Edited by Mapguy
further pertinent infiormation
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mapguy said:

NON-O VISAS AND EXTENSIONS OF STAY (EFFECTIVE 1 NOV2019) IN CHIANG MAI

 

A NON-O visa may be obtained abroad or in Chiang Mai by conversion from a 60-Day tourist visa (obtained abroad).  For criteria abroad check the consulate where you wish to apply.  For Chiang Mai, the procedure and documents required are attached. This information was obtained from CM Immigration on 7 NOV 19.  It was previous amended (in ink) by CM Immigration and, I believe in reading it, has been followed by officers for some time.  For any further information, I suggest you contact CM Immigration directly or an agent, if that is your (expensive) preference.

 

I am guessing that any extension of permission to stay done thereafter would follow the same criteria currently used for an extension generated from a NON-OA visa, but without any health insurance requirement. That can be learned at the time of the conversion.NON-O Conversion Retirement 11:19.pdf

  Depends upon who you believe regarding extensions to non-Imm O-A visas.

 

  Some immigration offices are telling people who originally entered the country years ago on a non-Imm O-A visa, and who have been doing annual extensions for years from that visa at their local immigration office, that they will require Thai health insurance at their next extension.  

 

According to post #620 of the embedded thread below, (page 42 or so, it's a long thread), Chiang Mai Immigration has posted this sign:

 

 

 

image.png.33f9b08acdfa8c7fce3f34685bec9a2b.png

Edited by TheAppletons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 6:28 PM, nichopaulcnx said:

After receiving my extension the IO at CM made it clear that they will check the 3 months / 800K and 400K minimum next year, so make sure it does not dip below ! 

Can you tell me which IO told you that because when I went for retirement extension this week, the IO at counter 8 (who is a middle-aged guy) didn't mention anything about this and maybe he might have forgotten.

Edited by EricTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

  

  Some immigration offices are telling people who originally entered the country years ago on a non-Imm O-A visa, and who have been doing annual extensions for years from that visa at their local immigration office, that they will require Thai health insurance at their next extension.  

 

 

You can't rely on some immigration officers because if you approach different officers, they might give you different answers. I was given different answers on TM30 in the past.

 

Regarding my own experience, I must apologize to everybody here because I didn't know there are two types of retirement visas (O and O-A), I always thought there is only one type of retirement visa.

 

Mine is an O-visa based on retirement and extended yearly. I got my extension after 1 Nov 2019 just this week.

 

So I can confirm based on my experience for O-visa based on retirement and extension, no health insurance is required.

 

The best is to wait for reports from the O-A visa holders based on retirement and extension to come in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, EricTh said:

 

You can't rely on some immigration officers because if you approach different officers, they might give you different answers. I was given different answers on TM30 in the past.

 

Regarding my own experience, I must apologize to everybody here because I didn't know there are two types of retirement visas (O and O-A), I always thought there is only one type of retirement visa.

 

Mine is an O-visa based on retirement and extended yearly. I got my extension after 1 Nov 2019 just this week.

 

So I can confirm based on my experience for O-visa based on retirement and extension, no health insurance is required.

 

The best is to wait for reports from the O-A visa holders based on retirement and extension to come in.

See the sign that I attached in my post above - that's from the Chiang Mai Immigration Office, according to the person who originally posted it.

 

Also, I didn't say some "immigration officers", I said some immigration offices.

Edited by TheAppletons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Can you tell me which IO told you that because when I went for retirement extension this week, the IO at counter 8 (who is a middle-aged guy) didn't mention anything about this and maybe he might have forgotten.

Sounds like the same guy at Counter 8, he was very polite and helpful. When my extension was approved, I asked if I had to come back in 3 months to confirm, as I had seen from other Immigration offices. Then he said................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Presuming he could identify the given IO (which is unlikely at least by name), does it really matter?  You ought to know the rules by now and should expect that, at your next annual extension, they'll be checking to see that you maintained minimums of 800k baht for 3 months after your prior application date, 800k for 2 months prior to your next application date, and 400k for all the other months.  

 

If people ought to know the rules by now, then why do so many people have arguments over the O-A retirement extension rules over many threads?

 

You are just assuming they will check next year but I have also read some reports here that say the retiree went back after 3 months to show their bank account book if anybody can remember that report.

 

So obviously, what you are saying is different from what that retiree reported .

Edited by EricTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a visa called officially a “retirement visa”?  Is it a Non I’m O or AO or OA?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Sounds like the same guy at Counter 8, he was very polite and helpful. When my extension was approved, I asked if I had to come back in 3 months to confirm, as I had seen from other Immigration offices. Then he said................

 

It seems that he's the same guy who is mild mannered and middle aged.

 

I didn't ask him like you did because I assume that he would tell me all the requirements.

 

So can I confirm we don't have to come back to show our bank-book after 3 months and he will only check at the next extension one year from now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

 

It seems that he's the same guy who is mild mannered and middle aged.

 

I didn't ask him like you did because I assume that he would tell me all the requirements.

 

So can I confirm we don't have to come back to show our bank-book after 3 months and he will only check at the next extension one year from now?

Yes, that is what I was clearly told, check next extension in one year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Is there a visa called officially a “retirement visa”?  Is it a Non I’m O or AO or OA?

 

It seems that there are more than one type of retirement visa which I found out only this week.

 

It is called a retirement extension based on the initial visa which can be either non-imm O or non-imm OA. 

 

The word 'retirement' is stamped on my passport in red on the extension stamp but not on the initial visa stamp.

 

I am not sure whether marriage visa has a non-imm O as well.

 

Edited by EricTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Is there a visa called officially a “retirement visa”?  Is it a Non I’m O or AO or OA?

If anyone who has been here quite a few years will know

That if you look at your Visa Extension  Stamp in your passport

It will say Retirement

Mine was a A O VIsa from overseas

A friend saw his local respected Chian Mai Agent recently

He asked the question

If you have a A O Visa will the medical insurance be needed

He stated NO

As after a A O Visa has been extended within the Country it has become a O Visa

 

I think we all just have to wait till a few Visas have been renewed to hear the full outcome

 

Plus i see another Immigration forum has been suspended

 

Hope this one will not be

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

 

It seems that there are more than one type of retirement visa which I found out only this week.

 

It is called a retirement extension based on the initial visa which can be non-imm O or non-imm OA. 

 

The word 'retirement' is stamped on my passport in red on the extension stamp but not on the initial visa stamp.

 

I am not sure whether marriage visa has a non-imm O as well.

 

Also Non-Imm B, as mine was 14 years ago before converting to a retirement extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Also Non-Imm B, as mine was 14 years ago before converting to a retirement extension.

What is your non-immigration B visa based on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...