BANGKOK
CharlieH

CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

I went to Imm today for retirement visa extension, using the 800,000 baht method, and after reading the report on a fb page last night I was ready for the worst as the previous extension last December I had obtained the standard bank letter one gets for the renewal plus photocopies of all pages within the passbook and of course taking the original passbook with me.

I arrived at 8.15 am and got number 31 ticket.Went straight to an officer, I knew vaguely, and asked were the financial documents I had were enough? "No she said the new Boss requires a bank statement covering the last 6 months" I pointed out the obvious that any transactions would be in the passbook."not good enough she replied" 

So off to KSK to see my contact Mr Sombat .

Of course BB at KSK doesn't open until 10.30. He had no idea this new requirement was in place and agreed it was pointless but a teller printed out a statement which cost 100 baht and took about 10 mins.

Got back to Imm number 25 was being called and was processed at 1.15 pm.In talking to waiting retirees many had the same problem as I did and we scuttling back to their bank.One guy who used the saving bank route had to put in 100 baht deposit to show the account was still active.

A new Boss is in town and more confusion ,spread the word,lots of shaking heads as people walked out the door.If your bank was far away you just wasted a day

16 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I went to Imm today for retirement visa extension, using the 800,000 baht method, and after reading the report on a fb page last night I was ready for the worst as the previous extension last December I had obtained the standard bank letter one gets for the renewal plus photocopies of all pages within the passbook and of course taking the original passbook with me.

I arrived at 8.15 am and got number 31 ticket.Went straight to an officer, I knew vaguely, and asked were the financial documents I had were enough? "No she said the new Boss requires a bank statement covering the last 6 months" I pointed out the obvious that any transactions would be in the passbook."not good enough she replied" 

So off to KSK to see my contact Mr Sombat .

Of course BB at KSK doesn't open until 10.30. He had no idea this new requirement was in place and agreed it was pointless but a teller printed out a statement which cost 100 baht and took about 10 mins.

Got back to Imm number 25 was being called and was processed at 1.15 pm.In talking to waiting retirees many had the same problem as I did and we scuttling back to their bank.One guy who used the saving bank route had to put in 100 baht deposit to show the account was still active.

A new Boss is in town and more confusion ,spread the word,lots of shaking heads as people walked out the door.If your bank was far away you just wasted a day

Easy just go to your bank and ask for a print out even if no transactions and the bank will stamp with the date and sign, people seems to be making a problem when there is none !!

What kind of "800k method" account:  regular savings or fixed?  There is a difference.

1 hour ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Easy just go to your bank and ask for a print out even if no transactions and the bank will stamp with the date and sign, people seems to be making a problem when there is none !!

There was no requirement  previously to provide a bank statement just the balance on the day that was  noted in the letter + Photocopy of face page and photocopy of transactions. Repeat there was no requirement for a bank statement.So its now 200 baht instead of 100 baht.

Done 13 renewals in CM so very aware of what is now/was required

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

What kind of "800k method" account:  regular savings or fixed?  There is a difference.

Apologies....... mean't to add FIXED. Have the same 800,000 b I started with 13 years ago.Just take out interest earned over the year and leave the 800,000 b rolling over at currently 1.5% 

Edited by Sparkles

I am still pondering the difference in experience at Immigration between fixed and regular accounts used to park 800k (NOT the monthly system, by the way).  And I do understand the "three month checkup" for regular passbook accounts.  Still, my question remains. Is there a new requirement for a statement from the bank for a 800k FIXED deposit at extension time? Every transaction is shown including the annual roll-over and the date of confirmation you go to Immigration for an extension. The transaction record is very short, complete, and obvious.  Not necessarily that way for a regular passbook account, especially a very active account.  I can understand why Immigration would want a statement when it comes to regular savings accounts.

21 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

There was no requirement  previously to provide a bank statement just the balance on the day that was  noted in the letter + Photocopy of face page and photocopy of transactions. Repeat there was no requirement for a bank statement.So its now 200 baht instead of 100 baht.

Done 13 renewals in CM so very aware of what is now/was required

Why make problems my account does not change, but go to your bank and ask for a print out on the day, they will stamp and sign, no charge, Kasikorn Bank.  I went a few days before and accepted, .

Edited by nichopaulcnx

Sparkles, did you mean you were extending using a fixed account, as usual, as of old? If true, actually no big problem except for those batted around during this "transition."

Edited by Mapguy

3 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Not quite sure what you meant in the last short post.

! Just show you have 800000, if you use that method, whether in a savings or fixed account, or FCA as long as it equates to 800000.

When I read that comment on the FACEBOOK post I thought the poster was saying that IMM needed the letter that we get showing that we are the owner of the account, and the balance on the day, NOW needed a some words written in it that called out the balance for each of the last six months.  I now understand that what the FACEBOOK poster was talking about is actually the 6 month bank statement that IMM now requires in addition to the letter.

I got my O-A extension of stay for retirement at the end of September this year and... IMM at that time required the six month statement of my (regular passbook savings) account.  So apparently this is not a "NEW" new thing that popped up in the last few days but something that has been in place for several months now.

Yep.  Not new for a regular passbook account.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Yep.  Maybe not new as you had a regular passbook account.

No I have not, do what you think best, but too many comments here and whispers in bars !

If this is a new requirement for Khun Sombat at Bangkok Bank, then it is new.  Many retirees have their accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch and he keeps up-to-date on what Immigration is requiring in the way of bank documentation.  It seems that it's easy for Bangkok Bank to produce the document required, but it's just one more hurdle for retirees to jump, esp those who don't read Thai Visa or the Facebook groups and don't see it coming.

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

If this is a new requirement for Khun Sombat at Bangkok Bank, then it is new.  Many retirees have their accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch and he keeps up-to-date on what Immigration is requiring in the way of bank documentation.  It seems that it's easy for Bangkok Bank to produce the document required, but it's just one more hurdle for retirees to jump, esp those who don't read Thai Visa or the Facebook groups and don't see it coming.

Previously banked at Bangkok Bank, now Kasikorn, Thapae Road, the service, attitude of staff and awareness of current immigration requirements has no comparison !!

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Apologies....... mean't to add FIXED. Have the same 800,000 b I started with 13 years ago.Just take out interest earned over the year and leave the 800,000 b rolling over at currently 1.5% 

I was required to print my bank statements in November 2019 too because my account was Fixed deposit too.

You can't update the balance forward on a Fixed deposit account unlike a savings account unless you make a withdrawal or deposit that day.

As I have said before, immigration is overly cautious, maybe there were loopholes in the past and they are trying to close the loopholes.