Who's been eating my Pop Tarts!? Thai post office in the dock again

webfact

Who's been eating my Pop Tarts!? Thai post office in the dock again

7PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that the Thai post office was facing trouble again after a food package delivered from Canada to Thailand was opened up.

The package came from the foreign husband of Hathairat McNeil, 49, and was intended for his daughter.

She was in tears when the package was found already opened at the Khiri post office with chocolate and other items like Pop Tarts gobbled up by a person or persons unknown.

Mun Hathairat, a teacher, asked what that was all about to the post office staff after the delivery on 17th July.

No idea, said the posties. But you can go and formally complain to the Bang Saen office if you want, they suggested.

On 19th July she did that but has not heard anything since.

So now she has gone to the media for Pop Tart justice.

She said her husband is reluctant to send any more food parcels to his daughter as he does not trust the Thai post office.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, keith101 said:

It may have been opened by Customs when it first arrived as it was food they may have needed to check the contents for hidden contraband and maybe a taste test .

I can see a devious attempt at justice in a few weeks time, when a postal worker is rushed to hospital suffering from a mysterious case of dysentery.

4 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It may have been opened by Customs when it first arrived as it was food they may have needed to check the contents for hidden contraband and maybe a taste test by as the article said person or persons unknown .

Or they are just thieving b@stards.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Don't know if tracked and signed with a list of contents pasted on the outside would help.

That does remind me of being on a truck trip across Africa thirty years ago. One mother sent her daughter on the trip a parcel, to be collected at a local post office in central Africa somewhere.

On the customs declaration on the outside of the package, the contents were clearly listed: Clothes, underwear, sweets, £50 cash.

The only item missing was...

That does remind me of being on a truck trip across Africa thirty years ago. One mother sent her daughter on the trip a parcel, to be collected at a local post office in central Africa somewhere.
On the customs declaration on the outside of the package, the contents were clearly listed: Clothes, underwear, sweets, £50 cash.
The only item missing was...

Underwear?

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Get address stickers printed in Thai. The only english being the word Thailand at the bottom. Post them to whoever is sending the package.

It tends to make the package less of a target.

I heard that many times, I order more online then most get plenty of packages all under my own name. I can't say it attracts much attention. In my area I would say your good advice is an old wives tale. That being said the post varies a lot per area so it might be true in your area. I do get taxed once in a while.. but usually on big expensive items.

Just received an other 5 kg of old Dutch cheese.. i often get that and almost never do I get taxed.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I heard that many times, I order more online then most get plenty of packages all under my own name. I can't say it attracts much attention. In my area I would say your good advice is an old wives tale. That being said the post varies a lot per area so it might be true in your area. I do get taxed once in a while.. but usually on big expensive items.

Just received an other 5 kg of old Dutch cheese.. i often get that and almost never do I get taxed.

I buy car bits from UK and always have them sent to my wife. Only paid tax on one lot and that was 5000baht on a package costing 42,000baht from UK. I thought that wasn't too bad. 0000baht would have been better. ????

Just now, overherebc said:

I buy car bits from UK and always have them sent to my wife. Only paid tax on one lot and that was 5000baht on a package costing 42,000baht from UK. I thought that wasn't too bad. 0000baht would have been better. ????

Its luck of the draw, depends a lot on how big the parcel is. I paid taxes on a few fishing reels too. Not everything slips through.. but in my area a foreign name does not seem to attract unwanted attention.

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its luck of the draw, depends a lot on how big the parcel is. I paid taxes on a few fishing reels too. Not everything slips through.. but in my area a foreign name does not seem to attract unwanted attention.

Another factor is the carrier used. Use one of the international carriers ( no names,  no pack drill ) and it's 50 to 100% on anything.

Royal mail tracked and signed seems to be the best for, me anyway. As you say, the area of delivery might also come into it.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Another factor is the carrier used. Use one of the international carriers ( no names,  no pack drill ) and it's 50 to 100% on anything.

Royal mail tracked and signed seems to be the best for, me anyway. As you say, the area of delivery might also come into it.

That is true and common knowledge.. use one of DHL... Fed Ex and pay a lot. I will have a heavy package coming over soon from the US .. I am expecting to pay tax for sure but i have accepted that.

I have had new visa cards stolen by the post office and when I complained the head person told me they were aware of it happening but couldnt stop it, they knew who was doing it as well but again wouldnt fire them. Anything going through thai post is a risk as the workers are not held accountable, while this does also happen in the west, Thailand has a much bigger problem with it as can be seen here, workers know they can get away with it so they dont care. I have watched them sorting packages at the PO as well, they throw them onto the floor in different areas, explains why a gift from my daughter was smashed when it arrived,  their is simply no responsibility taken  at all 

About 2-3 years ago the Thai post office stopped stamping when mail was received into the Thai system and when it was received at the point of delivery post office, and ever since then the mail service in my area has gone to hell in a hand basket. I am lucky if I receive mail two times a month even though every other day for rural delivery is still the standard. It's often obvious that mail is being batched for weeks at a time. I've never had parcels stolen or pilfered, but because of this breakdown in accountability, I am not surprised to hear reports that this has started to happen.

6 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

About 2-3 years ago the Thai post office stopped stamping when mail was received into the Thai system and when it was received at the point of delivery post office, and ever since then the mail service in my area has gone to hell in a hand basket. I am lucky if I receive mail two times a month even though every other day for rural delivery is still the standard. It's often obvious that mail is being batched for weeks at a time. I've never had parcels stolen or pilfered, but because of this breakdown in accountability, I am not surprised to hear reports that this has started to happen.

Royal Mail tracks and signed works right through to door delivery. You sign and and the bar code is registered. 

It's also insured so 'if' it goes missing at any signature point you can claim.

Archived