Brexit Boffins--Can I move back to Spain?

I lived and worked in Spain for 7 years from 2000. I had a residencia permit, a house, job and NIE number. Seeing the doctor was free, but I had to pay something for pharmacy. I'm a Brit.

Now, I want to go back (for job and personal reasons that I won't bore you with).

The problem is Brexit. Does anybody yet know if I have to go back before March 2019? Or not? I am aware that Spain will not want to lose almost 1m European Pensions being spent there, but I cannot find a definitive answer covering returning residents. Perhaps Boris has not yet decided. Does Brexit still allow free movement of people in the EU?

Eddy

I don't think there is a definitive answer yet, there are so many unanswered questions, including do the Spanish want to make Gibraltar an issue, as they indicated that they might, but the truth is nobody really knows and that includes the various Governments.

Just keep in mind that this is "the will of the people".

It seems to me that both sides have sort of agreed that EU nationals already living in the UK and British nationals already living in one of the other member states on the actual day will be allowed to remain; though they may have to apply for residence which they don't at the moment.

What happens after Brexit is still unknown; worst case scenario is that you will have to apply for a Spanish settlement visa of some sort and meet the requirements, and pay, for that.

the only answer is nobody knows what is going to happen yet.

I am a home owner in the Costa del Sol which I currently rent out, but I intend splitting the year between Thailand and Spain in the coming years.

So all anyone is doing on here at the moment is guessing.

If you already own a place there and have your NIE, bank account, etc, then I am confident that thing will turn out ok and wont be too much of a problem.

So as everyone else is guessing, my guess would be, worse case scenario, is to get a Visa each year.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It seems to me that both sides have sort of agreed that EU nationals already living in the UK and British nationals already living in one of the other member states on the actual day will be allowed to remain; though they may have to apply for residence which they don't at the moment.

What happens after Brexit is still unknown; worst case scenario is that you will have to apply for a Spanish settlement visa of some sort and meet the requirements, and pay, for that.

I think moving there before the 29th March would be the prudent thing to do. Although the UK has stated that any EU national living and working legally in the UK would be allowed to remain the EU has not made that promise yet, but it is widely expected to do so. It has nothing to do with Boris by the way as he resigned.

On 9/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Jaggg88 said:

I think moving there before the 29th March would be the prudent thing to do. 

Is this date of March 29, set into concrete? I am only an interested, maybe somewhat amused, spectator of this Brexit business; so for me the most likely outcome of current dealings would be procrastination...

8 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Is this date of March 29, set into concrete? I am only an interested, maybe somewhat amused, spectator of this Brexit business; so for me the most likely outcome of current dealings would be procrastination...

I don't anything is set in concrete, those who are supposed to be negotiating this don't seem to have any idea at the moment.

Agree. Nothing is set in concrete. I know for sure that the Gibraltarians reject completely the idea of being a Spanish colony...and I know that more than half a million Brits and others spend their pensions in Spain. It may drag on and on.

33 minutes ago, soleddy said:

Agree. Nothing is set in concrete. I know for sure that the Gibraltarians reject completely the idea of being a Spanish colony...and I know that more than half a million Brits and others spend their pensions in Spain. It may drag on and on.

Open letter to British citizens in Spain on brexit negotiations

Archived