Eyeglasses Vietnam

ellathai

Hi all

l live in Thailand and am going to Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam in November for a week. My present glasses frames are just about done,l have read so many threads on how expensive glasses are here and so many bad reports,yet the exact opposite is for Vietnam much less expensive and so many good reports.

My glasses are progressive ,scratch resistant and transition.

l was hoping to get some uptodate ideas from people that have done it recently and any reccomendations.

Cheers

Bruce

not what you want to hear though, but:

over the years I have bought lots of frames and lenses (not progressive though) in Bangkok,

I am just very satisfied,

good quality - long lasting - at give away prices compared to what I would have to pay in Europe

but by all means, maybe Nam is even better

do a forum (or google) search and you will find lotsa discussion about:

https://www.zennioptical.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv_iciq2y3QIVAiUrCh20QQE1EAAYASAAEgJwUfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

you need to get a lens prescription that they can use (I went to the Rutnin Hospital in BKK but any qualified ophthalmologist should do) and away you go...I bought both progressives and single vision reading glasses from them...cheap and can't be beat...shipped outta Hong Kong with about a 10 day delivery...

• 3 weeks later...

In HCMC go to Saigon Optic on Pham Ngoc Thach just off Dien Bien Phu.

About $20 for a pair of lenses like yours. I have the same type as you and always get mine there.

They will do the eye test there to get your prescription and measure the eye distances etc. Usually takes 3 days max.

They don't have such a good choice of frames though.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

About $20 for a pair of lenses like yours. I have the same type as you and always get mine there.

They will do the eye test there to get your prescription and measure the eye distances etc. Usually takes 3 days max.

thanks longtimelurker will do 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Thanks for your suggestion l will certainly check it out, looks like im going in Feb had to cancel November.

Is there English good and frames strong?

Cheers

Ellathai

8 hours ago, ellathai said:

Thanks for your suggestion l will certainly check it out, looks like im going in Feb had to cancel November.

Is there English good and frames strong?

Cheers

Ellathai

Don't know about their English as the missus always talks to them in VN.

But I've found the educated Viets tend to be OK in English.

The frames will depend on the quality you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working in Ho Chi Minh City now.  A Vietnamese colleague came into the office one day recently wearing some new glasses that appealed to me very much - and they were very cheap too.  Here is where he bought them:

https://thecrafthouse.vn/search?q=glasses

By the way, Ho Chi Minh City has an excellent and cheap public bus system.  And there is a wonderful app that you can use for navigating it:  https://busmap.vn/?locale=en

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, BangkokBaksida said:

I am working in Ho Chi Minh City now.  A Vietnamese colleague came into the office one day recently wearing some new glasses that appealed to me very much - and they were very cheap too.  Here is where he bought them:

https://thecrafthouse.vn/search?q=glasses

By the way, Ho Chi Minh City has an excellent and cheap public bus system.  And there is a wonderful app that you can use for navigating it:  https://busmap.vn/?locale=en

Thank you very much

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 10:25 AM, melvinmelvin said:

inot what you want to hear though, but:

over the years I have bought lots of frames and lenses (not progressive though) in Bangkok,

I am just very satisfied,

good quality - long lasting - at give away prices compared to what I would have to pay in Europe

but by all means, maybe Nam is even better

Excuse me, I would like to challenge the generalization about "Europe". FIELMANN is a cchain in Germany which has low cost deals combined with an insurance. I've not found comparable prices in SE Asia, TBH.

Your spectacles sound high end. Thoe will be expensive at FIELMAANN, too. Perhaps 4,000 THB? But the insurance will kick in and you will get a replacement etc. Just saying.

Less than 1,000 THB are prescription sun glasses @ FIELMANN. Hope someone will share price info for VN. There was a time when those sunglasses cost about 400 THB. I took many to Thai friends...

Archived