Is Thai food in Chiang Mai cheaper than Bangkok?

Csaw

When I go out to eat , the prices of local food are almost the same in Bangkok and ChiangMai.

The main difference is the hotel rates, the hotel rates are much more expensive in Bangkok. I am still trying to find (studio) accom in Bangkok where the rent is 5000 baht per month which I can get in CM.

The public transport is much cheaper in Bangkok surprisingly, in Chiang Mai, before the blue bus came in, the Song Taew costs 20 baht and above, more for tourists. In Bangkok, I paid only 10 baht per trip which is the same distance as inside the moat.

So, in conclusion.

Local food/fruits = almost the same except for tourist areas

Hotel/accom rates = more expensive in Bangkok

Transport = cheaper and more convenient in Bangkok

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Do the Tesco Lotus BBQ chicken test. 139 baht in Hua Hin and Bangkok.  Exactly the same chicken is 118 baht in Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani and Surin.

How much is it in CM?

A cooked BBQ chicken in Big C is 110 baht. Not sure about in Lotus. 

I generally find all prices across the board to be a bit cheaper in CM compared to Bangkok and Phuket. 

We visit my stepdaughter and stepson who live Bangkok suburbs a couple times a year. Prices for street food and local markets seem to be rising much faster there than Chiang Mai. Typical street food that goes for 30 to 40 baht here is around 50 to 60 baht there. They constantly complain about it.

On the other had when we shop at Tesco or Big C there we see only slightly higher prices than in Chiang Mai. Being doting parents we load up their apartments with durable goods while we are there.

I live half way to CM close to Nakhon Sawan and we are about 5-6 farangs living here

and there is no double price here, I can get a very good dinner on the market for 20-30 bath

I rent a BIG house 5 room and kitchen, dining room, washing room 2 toilets  with a big garden for 4000 bath/month 

so if you get out of the tourist place you can live really cheap and eat good healthy food.

I pay less than half of everything compared to Phuket and Rayong where I live before.

9 minutes ago, Csaw said:

grin...

BKK is 30 baht for street food, no? What kind of street food?

Typical rice or noodle dishes. Maybe prices are higher in the suburbs where there is less choice? We haven't been into central Bangkok for quite a while so not aware of prices there.

A lot of local fruit and vegetables in season are much cheaper than Bangkok. The stallholders were nearly giving away pineapple at the height of the season.

Not much different for street food. I've found the restaurants with Western menu items are significantly cheaper here than in Bangkok. Apologies for off topic.

Chiang Mai is across the board cheaper - particularly beer when you go out. 

Those grumbling about expensive street food in Chiang Mai need to get out of the center of town which is tourist trap. I can get a meal from a street food vendor in CM for 20-25 baht, same as in markets. The same probably goes for Bangkok as well. 

1 hour ago, hellstens said:

I live half way to CM close to Nakhon Sawan and we are about 5-6 farangs living here

and there is no double price here, I can get a very good dinner on the market for 20-30 bath

I rent a BIG house 5 room and kitchen, dining room, washing room 2 toilets  with a big garden for 4000 bath/month 

so if you get out of the tourist place you can live really cheap and eat good healthy food.

I pay less than half of everything compared to Phuket and Rayong where I live before.

Holly...! That sounds really attractive to me. Do you have AC?

What does a 1 bedroom with AC and western toilet go for?

I eat very healthily and insist on quality ingredients and go to restaurants where I know things like what kind of oil they use and are there foods organic?    Restaurants, to me in this category, , in CM are considerably lower priced across the board than BKK, in my experience, and,  it depends upon what kind of food you are referring to really.

3 minutes ago, johnnysunshine said:

I eat very healthily and insist on quality ingredients and go to restaurants where I know things like what kind of oil they use and are there foods organic?    Restaurants, to me in this category, , in CM are considerably lower priced across the board than BKK, in my experience, and,  it depends upon what kind of food you are referring to really.

Nothing like that for me johnny. Im talking eating exactly like the locals...the not so rich locals at that. 

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

When I go out to eat , the prices of local food are almost the same in Bangkok and ChiangMai.

The main difference is the hotel rates, the hotel rates are much more expensive in Bangkok. I am still trying to find (studio) accom in Bangkok where the rent is 5000 baht per month which I can get in CM.

The public transport is much cheaper in Bangkok surprisingly, in Chiang Mai, before the blue bus came in, the Song Taew costs 20 baht and above, more for tourists. In Bangkok, I paid only 10 baht per trip which is the same distance as inside the moat.

So, in conclusion.

Local food/fruits = almost the same except for tourist areas

Hotel/accom rates = more expensive in Bangkok

Transport = cheaper and more convenient in Bangkok

D-Haus in Lad Prao it’s on fb, great big rooms and Olympic size pool, it was 5700b  a month 

1 hour ago, Csaw said:

Nothing like that for me johnny. Im talking eating exactly like the locals...the not so rich locals at that. 

There are many many places in the countryside, small cities, where you can live inexpensively and if you know your way around, you can do the same or close to the same in CM,... the problem with many of the Thai foods that are consumed daily, locally, by the 'not so rich' locals is that the ingredients are not that healthy... salts, sugar, msg etc... in everything... 

I live near a small provincial city, very decent, clean and safe and food and lodging are a good bit cheaper than CM.. which I am sure is a good bit cheaper than Bkk - - but most importantly, the people are really friendly and really nice...

message if you want more info...

6 hours ago, hellstens said:

Damn! Im paying 4500 for my tiny cement block room right next to noisy ass airport flying the Chinese in-out all day n night..maybe I need to relocate to your area for cheaper prices and quieter --larger spaces!

Dream of the thai teak wooden house overlooking a lake or river or nice mountain view....peace n quiet....

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

There are many many places in the countryside, small cities, where you can live inexpensively and if you know your way around, you can do the same or close to the same in CM,... the problem with many of the Thai foods that are consumed daily, locally, by the 'not so rich' locals is that the ingredients are not that healthy... salts, sugar, msg etc... in everything... 

I live near a small provincial city, very decent, clean and safe and food and lodging are a good bit cheaper than CM.. which I am sure is a good bit cheaper than Bkk - - but most importantly, the people are really friendly and really nice...

message if you want more info...

More!!!!

6 hours ago, Csaw said:

Street food usually means fried rice, rice with pork etc for locals. Yes, Thais love pork and rice. Of course, these aren't western food.

You can have these for 35-45 baht in Bangkok non-tourist area, about the same price range as CM. I had one rice dish when I ate at the Mor Chit bus station to CM which cost me around 40 baht. Price has gone up a little bit in CM lately.

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Damn! Im paying 4500 for my tiny cement block room right next to noisy ass airport flying the Chinese in-out all day n night..maybe I need to relocate to your area for cheaper prices and quieter --larger spaces!

Dream of the thai teak wooden house overlooking a lake or river or nice mountain view....peace n quiet....

4500 for one big house? I am trying to find one too in CM but I think it's impossible, the rental is 15,000 baht for a house even  in Mae Jo.

Talking of food prices in CM , there have been some food courts opening up recently and the food prices are high , double the normal prices .

80 Baht for a plate of french fries from a mobile stall , compared to 40 Baht from an established restaurant 

Archived