Is Thai food in Chiang Mai cheaper than Bangkok?

Csaw

I love my spot. I live in a luxery 36m apartment (not even a condo, hassle free). It’s located in the heart of CM tourist area. Lots of sweet farang girls looking for date. 

I don’t need a house with 5 rooms in the middle of nowhere ?. I just need a nice room in a nice town that I already have. 

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Do the Tesco Lotus BBQ chicken test. 139 baht in Hua Hin and Bangkok.  Exactly the same chicken is 118 baht in Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani and Surin.

How much is it in CM?

Don't know because they are not very good so we don't get them. But Big C used to be 108 Baht, now it fluctuates between about 110 and 129 Baht, depending on the time of day.

9 hours ago, Csaw said:

grin...

BKK is 30 baht for street food, no? What kind of street food?

For 30 Baht anywhere, you get cheap, low-grade white rice, poor cuts of meat/poultry, poor quality veggies sprayed with many chemicals cooked in bleached palm oil, and a small portion. Most half way decent restaurants charge 45-60 Baht for much better quality.

7 hours ago, johnnysunshine said:

I eat very healthily and insist on quality ingredients and go to restaurants where I know things like what kind of oil they use and are there foods organic?    Restaurants, to me in this category, , in CM are considerably lower priced across the board than BKK, in my experience, and,  it depends upon what kind of food you are referring to really.

Same with us. We go to the same 4-5 places and have been for many years. We also insist on quality ingredients and no palm oil or MSG. Also more and more places are getting their veggies from Doi Kham as the price is really no different than the stuff sold at Muang Mai market which is loaded with chemicals. We haven't been to Muang Mai market in perhaps 3 years now. We also prefer brown rice and for the better quality don't mind paying 45-60 Baht vs. 35-40 Baht.

11 hours ago, Csaw said:

Loving the inputs. Just to make sure.... if i am to eat out like a local (avoiding tourist spots)...no difference in price - correct?

There are WAY more cheap Thai food places in Chiang Mai - at least they are are a lot more comfortable and convenient. Eating on a stool on the street is probably about the same. 

11 hours ago, The Theory said:

I love my spot. I live in a luxery 36m apartment (not even a condo, hassle free). It’s located in the heart of CM tourist area. Lots of sweet farang girls looking for date. 

I don’t need a house with 5 rooms in the middle of nowhere ?. I just need a nice room in a nice town that I already have. 

What is the rent?

I have lived in both places , 3 years in BKK and 1 year in CM. 

I did not see much of a difference when it comes to prices on food from the local markets. 

Except the locally produced veggies and fruits taste better , living closer to the northern parts of Thailand ,  you will get fresher food, depending on the season. 

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

Talking of food prices in CM , there have been some food courts opening up recently and the food prices are high , double the normal prices .

80 Baht for a plate of french fries from a mobile stall , compared to 40 Baht from an established restaurant 

Speaking of I got fresh french fries WITH onion rings for 40 bt..I regretted it as my chicken and salad came with MORE fries and a onion ring for 45 bt!!!  85 all together..forced myself to eat it all....yep I know the places u say..tourist traps

On 9/13/2018 at 12:50 AM, elektrified said:

Same with us. We go to the same 4-5 places and have been for many years. We also insist on quality ingredients and no palm oil or MSG. Also more and more places are getting their veggies from Doi Kham as the price is really no different than the stuff sold at Muang Mai market which is loaded with chemicals. We haven't been to Muang Mai market in perhaps 3 years now. We also prefer brown rice and for the better quality don't mind paying 45-60 Baht vs. 35-40 Baht.

Where can I buy this brown rice? They mostly sell white rice.

Where is the nearest Doi Kham store that sells veggies in CM?

On 9/13/2018 at 2:19 PM, balo said:

I have lived in both places , 3 years in BKK and 1 year in CM. 

I did not see much of a difference when it comes to prices on food from the local markets. 

Except the locally produced veggies and fruits taste better , living closer to the northern parts of Thailand ,  you will get fresher food, depending on the season. 

Bangkok non-tourist food should be more expensive but it's not, surprisingly, . A few years ago, I could get sliced pineapple for 10 baht in Bangkok which I could only get for 20 baht in CM. But when I went to Bangkok recently, the price has gone up to 20 baht.

Bangkok is more expensive in terms of property and rental due to the huge population and limited land there. 

The public transportation in Bangkok is cheaper for the same distance and more convenient due to their BTS and MRT and good buses. The Song Taew in CM are too expensive and a rip-off for tourists.

Another thing Bangkok beats CM is the night life, massage places and bars. LOL.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:21 AM, EricTh said:

When I go out to eat , the prices of local food are almost the same in Bangkok and ChiangMai.

The main difference is the hotel rates, the hotel rates are much more expensive in Bangkok. I am still trying to find (studio) accom in Bangkok where the rent is 5000 baht per month which I can get in CM.

The public transport is much cheaper in Bangkok surprisingly, in Chiang Mai, before the blue bus came in, the Song Taew costs 20 baht and above, more for tourists. In Bangkok, I paid only 10 baht per trip which is the same distance as inside the moat.

So, in conclusion.

Local food/fruits = almost the same except for tourist areas

Hotel/accom rates = more expensive in Bangkok

Transport = cheaper and more convenient in Bangkok

What transport in Bangkok is 10 Baht? I would like to use it.

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

What transport in Bangkok is 10 Baht? I would like to use it.

Public transport over short local distance similar to the new RTC buses in Chiang Mai. The public buses in Bangkok is much better than in CM.

The buses in Chiang Mai charge 20 Baht, that's why not many locals are using it. Mostly tourists who don't have their own transportation.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:14 PM, chingmai331 said:

'A very good dinner for 25 baht'.  Well, i'd need to see that plate of food before any comments.

Like others have said, if you eat in tourist or expat areas, you are going to pay more.  If you buy food at Thai tallats, you pay local prices. Here my example, at tallat Mai Hia, my wife will pick up one order of Penang Moo and khao for 50 baht. It's a big order and easily serves both of us one meal each, plus enough leftover for me to eat for lunch the next day. 

Having lived in Bangkok for 8 years and 12 years in CM, and taking into account the rise in basic costs ie pork etc, I can confidently say there is no difference it simply depends on where you eat.If you are in a tourist area naturally it will be more a reflection on the cost of the rental space.

Not sure its that important unless you are on the breadline.

Archived