Replace ONT or ISP Provided Modem (TOT)

themechanic

I've had a couple of nagging issues with my Fiber Optic internet connection from TOT. The ZTE F670 is the modem that they have provided me with. More accurately it should perhaps be referred to as an ONR or Optical Network Router, as in addition to converting the signal, it also has features like WiFi and this is the source of my problems.

1. I had changed the admin password on this device, only to find that it reset itself to the default username and password after a few days! I have CCTV covering this modem and can state with confidence that nobody physically reset the router. The unavoidable conclusion is that the reset was performed remotely. This seems to be feasible with the TR069 protocol that is built into the device. I suspect that perhaps a neighbor oblivious to not being entitled to use this connection anymore (read on to point 2) called support, or got my landlord to, and they performed a reset remotely. Of course, the intentions could be far more nefarious. But passwords don't reset themselves magically, so somebody had to have reset it remotely.
  2. I have disabled WiFi on this device. I have no need for WiFi from it. I connect another router to it and use WiFi from that sparingly when needed. For the most part I am happy with plain old wired ethernet connection to my computer. And a few days after I disabled the WiFi, it turned itself (WiFi signal) on again. How is this possible? In this case, the password was not changed/no reset. Can they do such a thing (enable/disable Wifi without needing password) on the device via TR069?

Either way, it is an unpleasant situation and I am not a networking expert. I want to change this ONT device, the ZTE F670 and replace it with something that I can fully control the security and settings over. Preferably something without a WiFi radio or any fancy features. Please recommend some devices, and pointers or guides on which settings to copy to get it to work.

PS: I know that I could connect another router to it over Bridge mode and secure that all I want to, but that doesn't solve the flaws in this device, especially the WiFi nonsense that they are able to seemingly turn on and off at will.

Archived