Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

2 minutes ago, weegee said:

Guess Williams just doesn't understand Australian Humour.....

Yes, to people with an English-derived sense of humour, modern Americans often appear remarkably humourless. Not to mention the need for 'Laugh here!' instructions in case anyone missed the point. I notice these latter appearing more and more here on TV (sarcasm alert), as though we were all infants and unable to understand a sentence of the English language without being threatened by a baseball bat.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is having men play best of 5 sets while women play best of 3 set inequality against men?  I've always been curious why women get the same money as men yet, don't play near as many sets in a grand slam tournament. If there was equality, women would either play best out of 5 sets, or take a haircut on the payout.  That's equality.

8 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Is having men play best of 5 sets while women play best of 3 set inequality against men?

Yes, if you think like Novak Djokovic, or Raymond Moore.

You do realize that men play best of three sets, just like the women, in all ATP/WTA events except the four grand slams (and Davis Cup)?

5 Reasons Why Tennis Should Keep Paying Men and Women Equally

http://time.com/money/4265912/equal-pay-tennis-djokovic-williams/

13 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Is having men play best of 5 sets while women play best of 3 set inequality against men?  I've always been curious why women get the same money as men yet, don't play near as many sets in a grand slam tournament. If there was equality, women would either play best out of 5 sets, or take a haircut on the payout.  That's equality.

The women will argue that they bring in as many fans and TV audience as the men, so the number of sets played is irrelevant.  And they could be right, I don't know.  But there is a simple solution:  do like golf and have separate men and women tournaments.  Of course, that would never happen.  Tradition and all that.  

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, if you think like Novak Djokovic, or Raymond Moore.

You do realize that men play best of three sets, just like the women, in all ATP/WTA events except the four grand slams (and Davis Cup)?

5 Reasons Why Tennis Should Keep Paying Men and Women Equally

http://time.com/money/4265912/equal-pay-tennis-djokovic-williams/

You did see I mentioned the grand slam events, correct?

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

You did see I mentioned the grand slam events, correct?

Yes, but you didn't mention all the other events being best of three so thought it best to highlight that nugget for the other Neanderthals.

But maybe a different topic for discussion?

caricature
ˈkarɪkətjʊə,ˈkarɪkətʃɔː/
noun
noun: caricature; plural noun: caricatures
  1. 1.
    a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.
    "a crude caricature of the Prime Minister"
    synonyms: cartoon, distorted/exaggerated drawing, distortion; More

image.png.f579d47e3cf0ef08073a8791083224ff.png

Seems about right. Not sure what the snowflakes are going on about.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Personally Ihink the cartoon was hilarious and was the caricature of what we saw on the court.

Williams was a disgrace to her sport and tried to turn her defeat and tantrums in to a woman thing.

Her action had nothing to do with "equality for women" as she claimed.  It should be men who are claiming "equality for men" seeing that that women play a minimum of two sets and a maximum of three, whereas the men have to play a minimum  of three and a maximum of five. for the same money.  Sometimes the women's matches can be over in 90 minutes whereas the men' matches occasionally last for four and a half hours and are never as short as 90 minutes.

I believe that women should be paid the same as men for the same job but tennis pay is more than fair to women, particularly when the number of spectators for the men's matches often far outweigh those for the women.  In many recent televised matches, sometimes including top women players, I was amazed to see that the number of spectators could be numbered in the very low hundreds against several thousand for the men.  Although I personally enjoy the women's game, rather than watching mainly the heavy serves of the men, I believe that the men have a legitimate complaint about the pay structure being unfair to men, as they have to spend more time on court and appear to be the main draw for the crowds.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"I'm here fighting for women's rights and women's equality,” Williams said at a news conference after the match.

Nope. Let's qualify this statement: You are here to fight for privileged womens' rights and privileged womens' equality. You are not fighting for the rights of women working in sweat shops.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Have you heard of whats called a protected class?     Surely you learned about it in your civics course in school.

"U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008). Many state laws also give certain protected groups special protection against harassment and discrimination, as do many employer policies. Although it is not required by federal law, employer policies may also protect employees from harassment or discrimination based on marital status or sexual orientation.[1] The following characteristics are "protected" by United States federal anti-discrimination law:"

How is she being discriminated against? She is a black woman playing in the most prestigious tennis event in the world. If she could participate be in the tournament because of race or gender, that would be discrimination. 

How is she being harassed? Her behaviour was inexcusable, and she was the target of a caricature cartoon based on this behaviour, just like people in the news are targeted every day when they have inexcusable behaviour. Seems to me the only person harassed in this situation was the referee, and Serena was doing the harassment.

Last, not sure how US law applies on a Thai forum discussing an Australian cartoon.

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Except with Nastase and McEnroethat was the rule, rather than the exception. Serena should not have destroyed her racket and deserved to be penalized for that, but the coaching call was BS IMO.

Except that the coach admitted he was coaching - https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/serena-williams-coach-patrick-mouratoglu-admits-coaching-from-stands-us-open/f0a3e048-9017-489d-b8e0-e3e446b6cb23. 

But don't let the truth get in the way of your faux-outrage.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This cartoon was absolutely racist, and quite shameful - interesting that the Japanese-American-Haitian player is depicted as white/blond, and Serena has extremely exaggerated features.

The Japanese lady did have a blond ponytail , also Serena is depicted as "whiter" than the Japanese player

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This cartoon was absolutely racist, and quite shameful - interesting that the Japanese-American-Haitian player is depicted as white/blond, and Serena has extremely exaggerated features.

Exaggerated features? Isn't this what cartoonists do?

Williams is a bad loser. She was quite ungracious when she lost to Stosur in another US Open years ago.

The umpire did his job according to the rules. Now she is trying to turn it into a conversation about equality and racism, instead of acknowledging she was wrong.

The cartoon is simply depicting her tantrum. It's always a shock to bad sports when they get pulled up for bad behaviour. I can still remember the look on McEnroe's face when he was disqualified in an Australian Open.

Come on its just a bit of fun , not racist at all.  

We are not allowed to joke about Mohammed any longer, or be prepared for the worst. 

So at least let us joke about "our own" people , black or white who cares. 

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The Madness has reached Down Under...so much for the bold, brash children of Convicts that wrenched a savage land into civilization. Its over, they will ban guns next!

I thought it was a take out from Witchetty's Tribe.

my take is that Serena is just a bad loser.
She sensed in the first set already she was not going to make it,
and grabbed any straw to draw attention away from her upcoming loss.

As for a cartoon about that depicting an unjustifiably outrageously, seemingly uncontrolled, angry person.
That is what cartoons are for: highlighting funny and out of order characteristics of people.

it seems the cartoon was taken off the net, so much for free press and free expression of cartoons.

Now we are on the topic of cartoons, I always feel very upset and insulted that angry people are depicted as if they are Red.
Red people are communists, and why should they be associated with anger.
And "red Indians" were a mostly peaceful Tribal Folk, also nothing to do with Anger.

2 minutes ago, KKr said:

my take is that Serena is just a bad loser.
She sensed in the first set already she was not going to make it,
and grabbed any straw to draw attention away from her upcoming loss.

As for a cartoon about that depicting an unjustifiably outrageously, seemingly uncontrolled, angry person.
That is what cartoons are for: highlighting funny and out of order characteristics of people.

it seems the cartoon was taken off the net, so much for free press and free expression of cartoons.

Now we are on the topic of cartoons, I always feel very upset and insulted that angry people are depicted as if they are Red.
Red people are communists, and why should they be associated with anger.
And "red Indians" were a mostly peaceful Tribal Folk, also nothing to do with Anger.
So I am glad that the news paper is in Black and White.

Don't you know that there is no such thing as free expression when there is a woman involved.

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Yeah, I think she probably would, but let's try to keep some perspective here, eh?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/serena-williams-meltdown-sexism_us_5b949689e4b0511db3e30cdd

Would you accept being publicly called a thief and a liar for doing your job?

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Except with Nastase and McEnroethat was the rule, rather than the exception. Serena should not have destroyed her racket and deserved to be penalized for that, but the coaching call was BS IMO.

Even though her coach admitted that he did in fact coach her?

23 minutes ago, car720 said:

Don't you know that there is no such thing as free expression when there is a woman involved.

Apparently the subject of discussion thinks she has that right, without drawing the ire of sports fans about her disgracing her (and her sisters' great achievements up to now, by being a bad loser
In the cartoon, she is being appropriately depicted as such.

You can Google the cartoon.  It's a pretty accurate depiction, right down the the referee's comment to the opposing player, "Can you just let her win?" 

This virtue signaling generation would be laughable with the exception that those in power as well as those aspiring to be in power see the potential in exploiting censorship by labeling lampoon-type criticism as racist, anti-semitic, homophobic <create your own label>.  What should the cartoonist have done - drawn Williams as a white person?  Put a picture of Williams throwing her tantrum next to the cartoon and it's an accurate caricature. 
I guess they could ban all satire except for that directed at white, Anglo-saxon, Christian, straight males. 

Archived