Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I didn't refer to the cartoon.

I merely implied race is one of the 9 protected  USA  Federal  classes.   Do you disagree with my contention here? I don't know who is or isn't offended by a cartoon.     I'm not at offended.

I'll bet one baht  baht former President Obama would not be offended by any caricature of him as long as it wasn't something sexual as in a photoshop kind of thing.

Good luck.    

It's not a federal matter, it was an Australian newspaper, published in Australia. The opposition to the cartoon is being touted as "global outrage", that portion of the globe that contains the USA. The world is a bigger place than that. Most of the"globe" just sees it as an amusing cartoon.

Interesting that the real objective of the cartoon was a skit at liberal political correctness. I guess that the US snowflakes don't like being called out.

33 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I see he’s not too kind on Kyrgios either as he get the dummy treatment. 

67DB3A58-FD23-426E-9D71-9BD36EC10375.jpeg

see fellas!    here's Mark Night's latest update on this particular theme (he holds no favourites, and everyone is treated equally)

IMG_20180912_145831.jpg

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The Madness has reached Down Under...so much for the bold, brash children of Convicts that wrenched a savage land into civilization. Its over, they will ban guns next!

Is Australia civilised? They still hold Ned Kelly up and a hero and an icon

all the naysaying PC crowd really fell off their high horses, and this how we saw our day start this morning:

followed by some in better detail

The first half shows hows how he( and everyone else here) really sees politicians here!

LOS pollies could learn a bit of reality from this :clap2:

The last (lower) half of the page shows he equally treats foreign public faces, equally:

IMG_20180912_145238.jpg

IMG_20180912_145553.jpg

IMG_20180912_145537.jpg

A post against forum rules has been removed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Some old stereotypes just never die...we've (in America) just really never faced up to our collective guilt about slavery and continuing racism, so we fall back to our old ways quite easily.

S

I got no collective guilt, my great grandpa staggered off the boat at Ellis Island from Russia after a pogrom in 1880. 

And continuing racism? Yeah, right?

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm with J.K. Rowling on this one...

Author J.K. Rowling wrote on Twitter: “Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.”

I dont consider some housewife who happened to write some very sucessful childrens books to be a political commentator of worth.

But then again, there arent any commentators of worth. All a bunch of babbling screechers.

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

You are not funny. UK are you..Take a look at Your own circus tent

Hell no Im not a Limey, those poor souls lost all of their freedom years ago. It was the greatest country in the world (after the USA) and the lefties destroyed it.

I hear that the  British Police investigate speech more than they do rape and murder.

With the USA being overwhelmed with PC nonsense, I was hoping that Oz would be immune.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

all the naysaying PC crowd really fell off their high horses, and this how we saw our day start this morning:

followed by some in better detail

The first half shows hows how he( and everyone else here) really sees politicians here!

LOS pollies could learn a bit of reality from this :clap2:

The last (lower) half of the page shows he equally treats foreign public faces, equally:

IMG_20180912_145238.jpg

IMG_20180912_145553.jpg

IMG_20180912_145537.jpg

this newspaper and the cartoonist deserve a Nobel Prize! Awesome! there is hope for OZ!

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And continuing racism? Yeah, right?

Really?

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-sounding-names-study_us_561697a5e4b0dbb8000d687f

Race Strongly Influences Mortgage Lending in St. Louis, Study Finds

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/business/dealbook/race-strongly-influences-mortgage-lending-in-st-louis-study-finds.html?mabReward=CTM

Partners in study gave legal memo a lower rating when told author wasn't white

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/hypothetical_legal_memo_demonstrates_unconscious_biases

Getting a Home Loan Is Expensive—Especially for Black Women

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/race-gender-interest-rates-mortgages/

New York police are getting even more aggressive on marijuana

https://www.businessinsider.com/nypd-disproportionately-arrests-people-of-color-for-marijuana-offenses-2016-6

Black Drivers in Florida Face Far Stricter Seatbelt Enforcement, Report Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/us/florida-police-black-drivers-aclu.html?_r=0

The Disproportionate Risks of Driving While Black

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us/racial-disparity-traffic-stops-driving-black.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

6 hours ago, car720 said:

Well, what can I say.  Me and old mate Giddyup were born long long ago in a galaxy far far away.  :cheesy:

Many years ago, I went on a one week training in Singapore. 
I was called Caucasian, the lady sitting next to me Malay and so on ....
by race and Nationality, no offense taken nor intended.
Those were the days when one could call a 2 a 2 and a 1 a 1.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

As Americans do for Billy the Kid and Jesse James. Your argument/point is as weak as a kitten.

And Americans choose to ignore and never admit that they had a 100 times more convicts shipped to their country from Britain to build t the country it is today.  It took less convicts to make Australia as great as America is

40 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Geez America, take a teaspoon of cement and harden up.  There is absolutely nothing racist in that cartoon.  If you really want to dig deep and search for the racist bit it would be a Japanese girl defeated an American. 

Osaka is actually a lot more American than she is Japanese.

58 minutes ago, Thechook said:

And Americans choose to ignore and never admit that they had a 100 times more convicts shipped to their country from Britain to build t the country it is today.  It took less convicts to make Australia as great as America is

Americans know Billy the kid and Jesse James were murdering outlaws.  

50,000 convicts were transported to America between 1718 and 1775. 

http://convictvoyages.org/expert-essays/north-america

164,000 convicts were transported to the Australian colonies between 1788 and 1868.

What I find odd about this thread is the lack of understanding that the rest of the world including America knows that cartoon is racist.  Australians/(Brits?) almost universally in this thread have not grasped the simple fact that that cartoon is racist. 

The thread is not about being a "poor sport" it's about racism in Australia which is lost on the Australians here.  I think Australians have a perception that as a country they are not racist compared to other countries like America.  Which is obviously false.  One only has to read this thread with an objective mind to confirm that.  

"Australia is deplorably racist, as people of colour are reminded when they speak up.

Australia is deplorably racist. It was founded on a racist document and hasn’t improved.

The recent surge in racism is not an anomaly. For many white, liberal-minded Australians, recent media commentary over the appearance of a notorious white nationalist on the Sky News channel was the first indication that our society remains deeply stricken by racism."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/10/australia-is-deplorably-racist-as-people-of-colour-are-reminded-when-they-speak-up

But following an uproar over a neo-Nazi being interviewed on national television and repeated comments by top politicians over "African gangs," questions are emerging over whether Australia is a more racist country than it would like to believe.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/07/australia/australia-racism-interview-intl/index.html

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Huffington Post and NY times...nuff said ??????

53 minutes ago, Thechook said:

we are proud of our convicts!

Archived