Frenchman and his Thai wife sold a Pattaya man's pick-up after taking it for a test drive

webfact

Frenchman and his Thai wife sold a Pattaya man's pick-up after taking it for a test drive

1PM.jpg

Picture: Manager online

A French man and his Thai wife who were staying at a condo in Pattaya showed an interest in a Thai man's Ford Ranger pick-up that was for sale.

Wirot Jandaharn, 48, trusted the couple and let them take it on a test drive but that was the last he saw of them.

1PM1.jpg

Picture: Manager online

They disappeared from the condo and headed to the north-east of Thailand.

They were caught on CCTV going through a drugs checkpoint in Sai Moon, Yasothorn on August 30th.

They then sold the vehicle to a man for 75,000 baht and headed for a holiday in Ao Nang in Krabi.

Pattaya police and Pattaya tourist police managed to trace the couple to Ao Nang where they were arrested.

They were named in a Manager story yesterday as 57 year old Albert Bachtoula Cherif and his Thai wife Nannapas Krawin, 31.

They have been charged with theft using a conveyance.

They told investigators they did not know the name of the man to whom they sold the Ford Ranger.

Source: Manager online

2018-09-12

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good detective work by the Police, traced them from Pattaya,to Isaan,

then finally to Krabi, I expect the crooks never thought the Police would

bother to go to all this trouble to find then,and Big Joke was not even involved.

regards Worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

For 75,000 THB I am sure you wont get blue book.

regards Worgeordie

Might have been a bargain no one could refuse, but when it comes to taxing it there will be a ploblem, thats if they the new owner does that stuff..

My thought is they sold it to someone they know, perhaps her family...If so easy to find..

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

Wirot Jandaharn, 48, trusted the couple and let them take it on a test drive but that was the last he saw of them.

Who in their right mind would trust a couple of complete strangers to test drive their car alone without accompanying  them?  A little bit naïve me thinks... 

7 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Who in their right mind would trust a couple of complete strangers to test drive their car alone without accompanying  them?  A little bit naïve me thinks... 

So what you're saying is never trust a farang.  I'm sure they learned their lesson.

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So what you're saying is never trust a farang.  I'm sure they learned their lesson.

No, what  I'm saying is it is extremely foolish to trust someone , no matter where they are from on the first time you meet, especially if it involves an expensive possession such a vehicle. 

Its just common sense really, Trust is something that has to be earned. 

3 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Your lucky to get a second hand near new pcx for 75000.  second hand stuff really holds its value in Thailand, so the guy buying it thought he was getting a good deal?  somethings not right in the story

No blue book and they probably wanted fast cash so got rid cheap, got to be some sort of moron to think you getting away with doing that 

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

No, what  I'm saying is it is extremely foolish to trust someone , no matter where they are from on the first time you meet, especially if it involves an expensive possession such a vehicle. 

Its just common sense really, Trust is something that has to be earned. 

Easy to say after-the-fact.  My point is there was a time (long ago) when Thais probably trusted farangs more than their own.  But it's incidences like this that will demonstrate that trusting anyone--including farangs--is not a wise thing to do. 

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Easy to say after-the-fact.  My point is there was a time (long ago) when Thais probably trusted farangs more than their own.  But it's incidences like this that will demonstrate that trusting anyone--including farangs--is not a wise thing to do. 

So what are the options?  Trust them to take the pickup out on a test drive alone, or trust them to take you along and slit your throat in the middle of nowhere?

The requirement to document the sale, along with the blue book would be enough for a test drive to be about as risky as just parking it on the street and hoping nobody nicks it.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

So what are the options?  Trust them to take the pickup out on a test drive alone, or trust them to take you along and slit your throat in the middle of nowhere?

The requirement to document the sale, along with the blue book would be enough for a test drive to be about as risky as just parking it on the street and hoping nobody nicks it.

Good point regarding the options.  People sell vehicles every day, all over the world.  I'd imagine many times they would allow prospective buyers to test drive without being in the vehicle....and have zero problems.  But some of these guys on TV that opine, as usual, come off as real know-it-alls.  Not sure if they live in the real world. 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Good point regarding the options.  People sell vehicles every day, all over the world.  I'd imagine many times they would allow prospective buyers to test drive without being in the vehicle....and have zero problems.  But some of these guys on TV that opine, as usual, come off as real know-it-alls.  Not sure if they live in the real world. 

+1

They seem to live in the world of instant replay and Monday morning quarterbacking.

So they drove from Pattaya to Isaan in a stolen vehicle. That kind of disregard for obvious risks suggests drug use before and/or during this debacle. Just a guess.

I'm also guessing this wasn't the first offense for the French husband. Not many criminals wait until they are in their 60s to commit their first crime. Maybe not the woman's first offense either.

Hang 'em high !

The truck owner should have at least gotten the French guy's passport before he let them 'test drive' the vehicle. I would have insisted the woman stayed behind with cash in hand.

Certainly lends support for the new law requiring criminal background checks for marriage visa applicants.

4 minutes ago, dpspike said:

The truck owner should have at least gotten the French guy's passport before he let them 'test drive' the vehicle. I would have insisted the woman stayed behind with cash in hand.

Next week, we're going to be reading about some "idiot" who got robbed because he brought a wad of cash to meet a complete stranger to purchase a car.  And he'll be bashed mercilessly by the Monday morning quarterbacks.

There is no 100% safe and effective way to do the deal.  There are safer ways, many of them being very inefficient depending on the local culture.   But there will always be one transaction out of a thousand (or a hundred, or ten thousand) that goes wonky. 

That doesn't mean anyone was stupid.  It means that once you leave your home in the morning, you're taking a risk. 

On a personal note, I'd never leave a woman behind with a stranger, especially a woman carrying a wad of cash.  Unless it was a very public place.  But that's going to be a wrench in the works on many car purchases that start and end at people's homes.  Because I wouldn't start at, for example, a Starbucks.  Not with the inherent risk of waiting hours and hours for a buyer to (maybe) show up- and then the nuisance of parking.  It's just not practical.

thats not a problem out in the sticks , they not bother about road tax or even driving licences, girl i know goes home to Isan not got a driving licence and drives around there all the time, and there is a 3 wheeler in my condo, owned by a farang who hasnt taxed it in 6 years and this is Jomtien. and yes i bet this vehicles was sold to someone this toerag knows, and a relative would be a good place to start.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Send them to the bastille and bring the guillotine out from the mothballs...

The Bastille was demolished more than 200 years ago, now we have a theater at the same place :tongue:

About the name of the french man; if he has a french passport he is french even his name ...

analog photo shot a long time ago when I was living in Paris

21505251425_81c70de5b2_b.jpg

Archived