A critically ill British man may die in Cambodia after the government wouldn’t pay to fly him back

geovalin

Charles McLaughlin is on life support with two blood clots on his brain in a 'basic' hospital in Cambodia

The family of a critically ill man has launched a desperate appeal to raise £105,000 to bring him home to the UK after he suffered a massive stroke while travelling.

Charles McLaughlin is on life support with two blood clots on his brain in a hospital in Cambodia. The 38-year-old can only communicate by blinking and is unable to speak or breath by himself.

His sister Jennifer Cross said she fears the 38-year-old may die being cared for in such “basic” facilities. But his loved ones believe he had not extended his travel insurance and they face a hefty cost to self-fund an air ambulance.

read more https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/family-of-man-critically-ill-in-cambodia-fear-he-will-die-if-hes-not-flown-back-to-the-uk-but-the-government-has-refused-a-loan/

“It looks like he had hit his head on the coffee table as there was blood on it, then he’d gone to bed and had a stroke."

Not recommended, going to bed and having a stroke , much better to have a stroke in the daytime in public ,where people can see you

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should the government pay for this?

You would not post like that, if it was you or a family member.

Also nobody has asked the government to pay, the family have asked for a loan, which would be paid back once the mothers house was sold.

It is sad top see heartless people posting comments.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to try and transport him by road to a better hospital in Phnom Penh or Bangkok? Got to be a more economical option than an emergency airlift to the UK, but I suspect that he already has huge hospital bills and no insurance or money to pay.

Just goes to show how important medical insurance is in Asia.

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

“It looks like he had hit his head on the coffee table as there was blood on it, then he’d gone to bed and had a stroke."

Not recommended, going to bed and having a stroke , much better to have a stroke in the daytime in public ,where people can see you

If only we had a choice as to when we were going to fall seriously ill 

7 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I hope the bank he worked for, HSBC, can stand up and do something for him.

If anyone can afford to help then they can.

Its a bank. Of course they could afford it but they won't. They need it for vastly more important bonus payments.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Don't get what you said.

Seems risky to fly halfway around the world with two brain clots. DVT for example. Good hospitals in Vietnam.

Yes. Road ambulance to Bangkok or HCMC would be best course of action. HCMC closer and cheaper.

But even there, costs will mount.

Not at all cheap in Cambodia, either, but there in addition to high costs there is very substandard quality.

4 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

The UK government require a UK guarantor before helping which is normal. Any comments about travel insurance is superfluous, all been said so many times before.

Many times The UK requires a relative to sign a statement of repayment over a set number of time. My mate went back to England with a head injury and they required a licensed nurse to travel with him reserving two extra seats with life support equipment on the flight.. The cost is tremendous.

I really don't get situations like this. It is a well known fact that the British health insurance does not cover Asia. Leaving home without proper insurance for a far away country is about the stupidest thing you can do next to drowning in a puddle whilst drunk. I just checked the price of continuous travelinsurance, with a maximum out-of-the-country validity for a 180 days in a row, and it came to 107 euro's per annum, for full medical insurance including flight and what havenot. All taken care of over the internet, within 5 minutes.

You can't always get what you want, but in this case the safety net was two mouseclicks and 100 quid away....

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes. Road ambulance to Bangkok or HCMC would be best course of action. HCMC closer and cheaper.

But even there, costs will mount.

Not at all cheap in Cambodia, either, but there in addition to high costs there is very substandard quality.

Much better to get him to a hospital where they can remove the blood clots. 

I doubt any airline would fly him back to UK whilst the clots remain in his head. They only fly patients who are stable and well enough to travel. 

He may have insurance who knows, if it will cover the £100k plus to get him home, is another matter. 

Either way, I wish him luck.  

9 hours ago, madusa said:

Don't get what you said.

I got hit by a scooter when I was on my bike out for the count for a short time,got to the hospital and I could not remember my phone number or the name of my doctor so they gave me a scan the consultant said there was no visible damage but I would have to stay overnight and was woken every hour to check that I was ok that's why you don't go to bed alone and unsupervised after a bang on the head.if you do have a stroke the faster you get treated the better that's why older folks should carry aspirin to take two at the first sign of a stroke or Geary attack.

5 hours ago, gamini said:

Blood clot treatment is very expensive. There are plenty of Cambodians suffering from blood clots who are not getting funded  by the government, so  why should the British expect  to be better treated?

Because UK is one of the richest countries and Cambodia.....isn't?

Much better to get him to a hospital where they can remove the blood clots. 

I doubt any airline would fly him back to UK whilst the clots remain in his head. They only fly patients who are stable and well enough to travel. 

He may have insurance who knows, if it will cover the £100k plus to get him home, is another matter. 

Either way, I wish him luck.  

That is not done/doable.

If diagnosed and treated within an hour or two there are drugs that can be injected to dissolve clots. Later than this and they are left to dissolve on their own. Tteatment in this situation is purely supportive. There is no surgical option

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Jennifer says Charles had travel insurance before he set off to go abroad, but they cannot find any sign he renewed it when he decided to go to Cambodia.

“We have struggled to get into any of his bank accounts,” she said. “We’ve been told the only way to access these is with Charles’s permission, which he obviously cannot give in his current state, or by providing his death certificate.”

From the linked article, a great cautionary tale for those claiming to be "self insured" and even for those who purchase travel insurance. 

Who's got access to your bank account, and to your travel insurance documents in case you're incapacitated?

The guy may be loaded, or at least (like so many on TVF), "self insured".  And he may even have travel insurance. 

Here's another cautionary tale out of Canada:  Spoiler alert, it takes a doctor and a lawyer to decipher the fine print to see what you are and are not covered for when you buy travel insurance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G08phgECt3I&t=126s

11 hours ago, adammike said:

I got hit by a scooter when I was on my bike out for the count for a short time,got to the hospital and I could not remember my phone number or the name of my doctor so they gave me a scan the consultant said there was no visible damage but I would have to stay overnight and was woken every hour to check that I was ok that's why you don't go to bed alone and unsupervised after a bang on the head.if you do have a stroke the faster you get treated the better that's why older folks should carry aspirin to take two at the first sign of a stroke or Geary attack.

Good informations you have . What exactly is a Geary attack? Never heard of this words Geary attack.

I have been drinking coconut milk(not water) in thai language they call it "Kah tit" if I got it right. It's pure white just like milk. Does the fat in this milk line up my artery? 

Oh I just love it. I will add a little water & squeeze the fresh coconut shreds and drink them just pure with some coco powder add to it. It tastes really good.

Jennifer says Charles had travel insurance before he set off to go abroad, but they cannot find any sign he renewed it when he decided to go to Cambodia.
“We have struggled to get into any of his bank accounts,” she said. “We’ve been told the only way to access these is with Charles’s permission, which he obviously cannot give in his current state, or by providing his death certificate.”

From the linked article, a great cautionary tale for those claiming to be "self insured" and even for those who purchase travel insurance. 

Who's got access to your bank account, and to your travel insurance documents in case you're incapacitated?

The guy may be loaded, or at least (like so many on TVF), "self insured".  And he may even have travel insurance. 

Here's another cautionary tale out of Canada:  Spoiler alert, it takes a doctor and a lawyer to decipher the fine print to see what you are and are not covered for when you buy travel insurance...

"Power of attorney" required. Its actually a good reminder that someone doing risky things which i include going to Thailand and Cambodia should consider a power of attorney which in the Ops case would of allowed the PoA to access bank accounts

14 hours ago, adammike said:

I don't know what a Geary attack is myself it was a case of fat fingers it should of course be heart attack.

Archived