Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

webfact

Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

3PM.jpg

video screenshot

Debate was rife on Facebook after a Thai taxi driver posted a video of some western backpackers with a cardboard sign saying "Kanchanaburi" in Thai and English.

When the taxi driver wound down the window a male tourist says simply" "No money".

He is not angry; he seems vaguely amused by the antics of the foreigners.

Comment on the story was split between those who just saw this as hitchhiking and others who condemned the tourists for coming to Thailand with no money and taking advantage.

"Nutdarin" fell into the latter camp making a play on the words for traveling and urinating:

"You're peeing on my country. You don't want to spend even one baht. Don't you want us to have your money?", she said.

"Toei" defended them saying: "They are just trying to be economical. They will spend money on other things".

"Vorapoj" posted in English saying: "You say no money. If you don't have money can you give your watch, sunglasses and bra...OK let's go!"

"Marcu" who appeared to be a foreigner called them "stupid farangs". "How can you travel without money?" he moaned.

"Sebastian" commented reasonably saying: "They just want to get a free ride by hitchhiking. They have money but don't want to spend it on a taxi".

The subject of "beg-packing" - foreigners trying to get money to pay for their travels - have caused widespread debate in Thailand in recent years.

What is your view?

Source: Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitchhiking is very normal to do in western countries, it can bring you free to far destinations. I also did many times when I was younger and it does not mean " No Money ", because if I did not get a ride, I took the train or other transportation.

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Vorapoj" posted in English saying: "You say no money. If you don't have money can you give your watch, sunglasses and bra...OK let's go!"

Bra?  Payment I underwear?  I can imagine what most taxi drivers would say if I offered my undies instead of cash, and I'd be even more worried if any of them actually excepted them! 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"Nutdarin" fell into the latter camp making a play on the words for traveling and urinating:

"You're peeing on my country. You don't want to spend even one baht. Don't you want us to have your money?", she said.

Why do you think you are entitled to their money?

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

People complain about anything now,in the 60's and 70's

I hitchhiked quite a lot, and nobody seen it as doing 

anything wrong, bit more dangerous in this day and age

but,things were simpler then.

regards Worgeordie

I did my share of it in the US. It was about conserving money and a free ride. SF - Seattle, and LA - SF with a few more small ones in-between out of necessity.. Of course they were most for Dead Shows. 

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Bra?  Payment I underwear?  I can imagine what most taxi drivers would say if I offered my undies instead of cash, and I'd be even more worried if any of them actually excepted them! 

Here, they get a bigger thrill stealing them from washing machines or clothes lines.

When I did a lot of traveling in my early 20s, I rarely had spare cash. I usually didn't have any cash. For me at that age, part of the adventure was to do as much as possible with as little as possible. Hitching to Kanch would not only save cash, it might lead to an adventure. They are doing it wrong though - the guys should hide and the girl should stand by the road by herself. As soon as a car stops and says yes, the girl gets in the front and the guys in the back.

I hitchhiked around Canada when I was kid but would of never attempted it in a foreign country. Now, you rarely see it back home due to all the predators on the roads.  After all the news about nasty events happening to foreigners here imho I believe you have to be a little brain dead to do it here. If something bad happens to these people, they won't have my sympathy at all.

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Typical Thai comment, all farang are mobile ATM's, as it happens some people travel on very tight budgets as they are not loaded - so what's the big deal with hitch-hiking? 

With these drivers??? Number one for road fatalities…...no thanks!

The no money thing is clearly rubbish...  They have belongings and look healthy and fed. 

If any of these kids really did have no money I'm sure there would be parents who could step in and help.

Its clear they are simply 'on an adventure' and have perhaps challenged themselves to get around 'hitch-hiking'... I don't see anything too wrong with this, I don't see that its hurting anyone. 

I don't see it as begging. I'm sure they could afford the bus if they had to, but if someone has space and wishes to offer them a ride, then thats also fine, the may well get to meet some nice locals traveling like this. 

The taxi driver *(who recorded this video) may have simply taken objection as it interferes with his sense of entitlement that these 3 kids should somehow take his taxi. 

I saw hitch-hiking back packers when 'camper-canning' around New Zealand - its not uncommon. 

1 hour ago, james1995 said:

smelly backpackers.  are they still doing the dreadlocks thing or is it all hipster beards now?

.... hmmm.... a childish and unimaginative dig at some young kids doing things a little differently does nothing more than to show up your lack of open-mindedness and preference for bitter judgement.

Fortunately most can already see this for what it is... Youngsters on adventure and going about it a little differently. 

"No money" can mean anything from "really no money" to "we really dig the hitching gig."
I recall being in Tijuana one spring break, and was admiring an onyx

xand alabaster chess set, The vendor talked himself down to 1/4 his original asking price, 
Sadly I was in category 1 above, "Really no..."?

This country’s still way too insular to understand  westerners travelling on a back pack and or asking for a lift without being ripped off by another moron cabby ?

Unfortunately, you’re subject to be judged by animals who have absolutely no idea of travelling on the budget since they’re convinced that westerners are all well off..

Clearly, they only know how to show off their stupidly with their brand new cars ( mobile accidents waiting to happen ! )  Whilst being on bankrupt.. The sadest part is that it will probably take decades to educate these savages ??‍♂️

Totally okay what they were doing. Just because Thais don't know this thing or don't understand it doesn't make it bad or wrong.
My friends in Malaysia told me there it is accepted and known. I've tried it several times and people seem to be happy to give you a lift.
Thailand has become a rather greedy and money orientated society.

Archived