Back from the dead: Surin man turns up after family held his "funeral"

webfact

Back from the dead: Surin man turns up after family held his "funeral"

6PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Surin family convinced that Somsak Somying had died after being missing for years held a funeral with an empty coffin to finally put his memory to rest.

Imagine their surprise on Thursday when Somsak, now 50, walked through the door.

He had been missing since going to work in construction in Bangkok all of 19 years ago with the family not hearing from him since.

Mum Euat Somying, 72, was still in floods of tears when Sanook caught up with the family on Tuesday.

She said: "I always missed and thought about him. I thought he was dead. I always made merit for him. I never will want anything else ever again".

Sanook noticed that Somsak had injuries to both ears and his forehead as he recounted what had happened to him over the last 19 years.

At first he went with friends to work in construction in Bangkok when he was 31 in 1999. His friends deserted him and because he couldn't read he found it hard to know how to get home.

He was homeless and did odd jobs for a while before ending up in Phuket. He worked on a fishing boat and had his Thai ID taken from him by the agent who got him the job.

On the boat he was tortured - he said he was beaten up by other people on the vessel who did drugs.

He wound up being arrested in Malaysia and spent several months in jail there.

After being repatriated to Thailand he worked in an ice factory before he was checked out by police for having no ID.

He was helped by Paveena Hongsakul of the foundation that bears her name and eventually found his way to the family's home in Ban Sangkha, Sankha sub-district of Surin for a reunion.

A ceremony of welcome in which rice is offered was conducted.

Elder sister Nuanjan Somying said that the family had recovered 40,000 baht in wages owed to her brother for work on the boat - it didn't seem much for all the time he was away but the best thing was to have him back safe and sound.

A relative called Bunchuay Thongjan told Sanook that the family gave up hope of ever seeing Somsak again. So about two years ago they held a funeral without a body according to ancient beliefs.

They cremated an empty coffin to finally put him to rest.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12

17 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Look like a good man in pic.

What a sad history of this guy ! His life can be writen in a book. Hope he can feel warm with his family.

yes sad , but at least he finally got home,  maybe the PM can do the right thing and assist him and many others who are treated like slave 

9 hours ago, oldlakey said:

And if you believe that load of @&$%@& there is nothing else to say

Ah, full of the milk of human kindness today? 

Yes, I believe it and what a sad part of his life, fortunate that some people put a lot of effort into substantiating much of his abuse and he did at least get some money for his enslavement. 

I would like to see the slavers prosecuted for human trafficking, that would make my day. 

44 minutes ago, rosst said:

Ah, full of the milk of human kindness today? 

Yes, I believe it and what a sad part of his life, fortunate that some people put a lot of effort into substantiating much of his abuse and he did at least get some money for his enslavement. 

I would like to see the slavers prosecuted for human trafficking, that would make my day. 

40 grand must have got a fair bit of overtime in then

Once I found myself alone I would of gone home if I could not manage on my own

It was that simple, hopefully he is now somewhat wiser as regards the big wide world

8 hours ago, thaichiro said:

Can’t wait for the movie... perhaps the PM will order a special recognition of this poor chap, much like the cave boys got. Seems to be the style these days.

No chance

What I actually think about whats gone down here is this

This poor chap would be referred to as a "special child" these days, I think learning difficulties is what caused his horrendous last nineteen years

His friends decided he was two much trouble even as a goofer

Did not go home because he had no idea how to take the first step

How he landed in Phuket who knows, but what happened there can be described as trafficked into forced labour

Lets not forget that his countrymen are responsible for all this

He would still be a fisherman if the vessel had not "strayed" into Malaysian waters

You would have to make too many changes to the story line for this to be of any interest in Thailand

Apart from the fact we all know these kind of events don't take place in Thailand

Archived