Caught with weed on Koh Phangan island, lawyer contact please ? what will happen ?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to several sources I know, this is a racket, and has been happening on the Southern islands for decades. I know guys who have been asked for 100,000 baht by the local police, for possessing one joint. It is commonplace. Thailand needs to get with the times, when it comes to pot possession. I also know another guy who was caught dealing small amounts of pot. He was given a choice by the Samui police, of paying 500,000 baht, and leaving the country, or getting tried on charges of dealing pot. He did not have the funds, and ended up serving 20 months in the Samui prison. I knew him personally. 

Never forget one thing. The police here are franchisees. They are free to act as they please, when it comes to the collection of money, and are free to be as creative as they choose to be, without repercussions. Does the term above the law come to mind? 

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

According to several sources I know, this is a racket, and has been happening on the Southern islands for decades. I know guys who have been asked for 100,000 baht by the local police, for possessing one joint. It is commonplace. Thailand needs to get with the times, when it comes to pot possession. I also know another guy who was caught dealing small amounts of pot. He was given a choice by the Samui police, of paying 500,000 baht, and leaving the country, or getting tried on charges of dealing pot. He did not have the funds, and ended up serving 20 months in the Samui prison. I knew him personally. 

Never forget one thing. The police here are franchisees. They are free to act as they please, when it comes to the collection of money, and are free to be as creative as they choose to be, without repercussions. Does the term above the law come to mind? 

100000 for a joint is hard to believe. The court fine would be 2000 thb.

48 minutes ago, moreem said:

100000 for a joint is hard to believe. The court fine would be 2000 thb.

It happened. This was before it went to court, and the police use well honed tactics to scare the hell out of the tourists that are caught. It happens often. 

Archived