Caught with weed on Koh Phangan island, lawyer contact please ? what will happen ?

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

HEY OP! Remember writing this on the above thread?:clap2::cheesy::shock1:

Hello Mum, I hope that you are fine.

I know many people who have been caught for weed or more, and by many I really mean many. so you can trust me.

Nobody goes to jail for weed nowadays, and the worst that will happen is a 3000 baht fine and then deportation, but most of the time there is no deportation and/or blacklist. It never happened to anybody I knew.

When paying the 49000 thb, he should have told them that he was ok to pay if they gave his passport back and if he could leave. But it's too late now, and anyway, there are stories on KohTao, the worst place of whole Thailand where to be caught, that even after the court case, cops didn't want to free someone until he paid them 50000 (even when the court only asked 2000), so no regret, you lost the money anyway, and it won't cost a lot more. Just few thousands more at the court.

In my opinion and based on previous cases, he will be free after few days (court case) and won't be deported/blacklisted. Do not worry, he will be fine. Please just confirm after the court.

Wishing you the best !

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

It doesn't matter, she will not be charged with overstay if she is in police custody.

And even if she would be in hospital with a letter from the doctor,
she still would need to get an extention of stay or pay overstay
(Most big hospitals will liase with Immigration on your behalf)

So same if you're awaiting court - for whatever reason - and you
overstay, you will need an extention of stay or, pay a fine of
500THB per day of overstay up to a maximum of 20'000 THB
(A lawyer could act on your behalf and get the extention of stay
as you wont have your passport)

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

It doesn't matter, she will not be charged with overstay if she is in police custody.

This is entirely incorrect. It does not matter where you are, be it on bail, in police custody, or even in jail, if your visa expires, you will face overstay.

I have already sent a message to the OP giving the facts they need to know in this matter.

An overstay can be avoided, by obtaining a criminal justice Visa, which costs 1,900 baht, by taking the police documents to immigration.

Failure to do so, will result in being arrested when the original case is finished (which will be a 5,000 Baht fine) and subsequently deported.

It is highly unlikely the girl will face any further problem with immigration at the end of the case, if the visa is kept current.

If she is in custody, the Criminal Justice Visa can be obtained for her by a lawyer or any other person acting with power of attorney.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

HEY OP! Remember writing this on the above thread?:clap2::cheesy::shock1:

Hello Mum, I hope that you are fine.

I know many people who have been caught for weed or more, and by many I really mean many. so you can trust me.

<snip>

Good spot!!

The OP also goes onto say, in other comments on that thread, that he knows 2 lawyers as well as being in Thailand for 20 years. Yet the OP is looking for assistance on this 'case'.

Hmmmm................!!

4 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

she is cute and I want to do as much as I can for her.

8 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Good spot!!

The OP also goes onto say, in other comments on that thread, that he knows 2 lawyers as well as being in Thailand for 20 years. Yet the OP is looking for assistance on this 'case'.

Hmmmm................!!

I think it is time to call BS on this thread. :coffee1:So how cute is she? :clap2:Post a photo and maybe i will post her "bail". :cheesy:

20 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I hope that someone can help, she is cute and I want to do as much as I can for her.

Seriously?  I find it hard to believe, though not impossible, that anyone making a genuine post would be daft enough to post the captioned comment.  

You are definitely not Sir Galahad if the post is genuine, I presume you would be waving goodbye if she had a face like a bag of spanners?

If it's a troll post then you need to be more creative.

I know of people caught with weed just enough for themselves ie no more than 1 spliff they have gone to Samui courts and been fined 30,000 baht no bribes . I suppose it depends who the judge is on the day if she had more than the acceptable a,punt they could look at her as a dealer but one way or the other she is in the dock as they say do the crime pay in time Samui prison has many foreigners doing time for the same offence . I think you will find that if she does not have a lawyer then the court will provide one it has to be a Thai lawyer as far as I am aware . As for the passport issue if she has details on her phone I don’t think that will be to much of a problem better she tells the truth than bury herself in deeper shit . Good luck !

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Any chance of a link to the doc?

It was a vid, part of a tv show, I think.  Can't recall where from. It was a few years back.

The story was her boyfriend asked her to hold the stash, the coppers searched her, and so on.  I think they were both Brits.  Happened at the FMP.

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how much weed and how was it packaged?

where did she get it?

well at least she had a copy and the cops don't have her passport. but they will get it eventually. you or someone will have to get it.  

this is about weed, not her passport. but you should never be more than a short drive from your passport in Thailand in case the cops want to see it.  

you should start thinking about how to support your friend while she is in prison. food, water, moral support and some cash. does her family know yet?

In Samui prison you can only give money you can no longer take food or other items they used to have food carts outside where you could buy food for them but I heard all that has stopped as other items were being smuggled in the food . The last time I went and did a visit there it was a nightmare it was a 2 hour round trip with a 10 minute visit 

I can not help with lawyers, having gone through some legal troubles myself I can only give the following advice 

1. 50000 is nowhere near enough , bail alone to stay out of jail while awaiting cour is 100000-150000

2. If she has already signed papers , then things are now much more complicated

3. Not having passport in my opinion makes it worse, RTP would contact immigration , extra complication.

Either cooperate fully , begging for help or if have premium funds, do not sign anything until lawyer is found 

59 minutes ago, bendejo said:

It was a vid, part of a tv show, I think.  Can't recall where from. It was a few years back.

The story was her boyfriend asked her to hold the stash, the coppers searched her, and so on.  I think they were both Brits.  Happened at the FMP.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There have been stories of people 'caught' for a little weed on the Islands before...  

Run a search of this forum and you may find some useful information. 

Once your friend is in the system, I suspect it would be difficult to get out of it by paying off the police. As you have already identified you need to find an honest lawyer - this is where it gets difficult.

I would suggest to avoid Island lawyers who may simply be in cahoots with the locals to profit from an inflated fine. 

Equally so, your friend will be paying a premium to make this go away quickly via the legal system. A good lawyer (from the mainland) will know which wheels to grease to get a quick court date, fine and be released. 

Also be very careful of overstay: Your friend, when (if) released may be released after her Visa expires, she could then face further complications, so ensuring she has access to funds or someone who can provide her a flight direct to her home country may prove vital. 

I'm sure you will get some good advice on here.

You will need thick skin as most of the replies on here will be from guys whose lack of intelligence shines through when they are unable to help themselves from voicing the obvious and predicable diatribe about using drugs in this country when its clear you need help not some twit telling you your friend has made a mistake !!!

Well put Smith 237

Archived