Caught with weed on Koh Phangan island, lawyer contact please ? what will happen ?

21 hours ago, Esso49 said:

And for a female to go to with friends or otherwise to any Thai island is a dangerous these days.   Can't they read the newspapers ?  However, that aside you should make contact with her Embassy so they can provide assistanace

What utter nonesense.  As Richard Smith said above, some people just do not have the common sense they were born with.  I know of thousands of young Ladies who have lived on Koh Samui, without any problem whats so ever and had a brilliant time.  I have been living here for 14 years and feel I know the Island and many of it's people reasonably well.  If you think so badly of Thailand suggest you pack your bags and go back to where ever you came from.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

What utter nonesense.  As Richard Smith said above, some people just do not have the common sense they were born with.  I know of thousands of young Ladies who have lived on Koh Samui, without any problem whats so ever and had a brilliant time.  I have been living here for 14 years and feel I know the Island and many of it's people reasonably well.  If you think so badly of Thailand suggest you pack your bags and go back to where ever you came from.

I think he's talking about tourists.

Just now, Tchooptip said:

Cops refused 50000 cash, how possible? 

As a reader of ThaiVisa, I have been told daily, for years,  that 100% of the police force everywhere in this country accept the bribe money!

That would not be quite true? Damn then :annoyed:

That is the word of a junkie looking for help from everyone because they got caught 

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

It was a vid, part of a tv show, I think.  Can't recall where from. It was a few years back.

The story was her boyfriend asked her to hold the stash, the coppers searched her, and so on.  I think they were both Brits.  Happened at the FMP.

I think it was called "Forget You Had a Daughter" in reference to what the Police chief supposedly told her parents, at the time!

16 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

That is the word of a junkie looking for help from everyone because they got caught 

36 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

GO TO JAIL  GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL  DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT 200 

YOU CHOOSE TO BREAK THE LAW DONT EXPECT HELP FROM ANY EMBASSY

You really don't have a clue, do you? 

1. The percentage of recreational cannabis users who are what you call 'junkies' is in the single digits.

2. The OP already asked that tired clichés such as you repeat are neither required nor welcome, yet in your rush to be a smartarse you just couldn't resist, could you?

3. The first thing any foreign national who is arrested on a criminal charge in Thailand should do is inform their embassy. You and others may sneer at the phrase 'consular assistance', but the fact is that, without being notified officially, no foreign government body can render any assistance whatever to its nationals unless they have been notified of the detained's whereabouts and circumstances.

17 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You really don't have a clue, do you? 

1. The percentage of recreational cannabis users who are what you call 'junkies' is in the single digits.

2. The OP already asked that tired clichés such as you repeat are neither required nor welcome, yet in your rush to be a smartarse you just couldn't resist, could you?

3. The first thing any foreign national who is arrested on a criminal charge in Thailand should do is inform their embassy. You and others may sneer at the phrase 'consular assistance', but the fact is that, without being notified officially, no foreign government body can render any assistance whatever to its nationals unless they have been notified of the detained's whereabouts and circumstances.

Well said.... 

Some people just cannot help themselves...  and there is a perfect quote for such comments...

"Its better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth an remove all doubt"...

Is any of this true. 50,000 Baht in cash ... that's a lot to be carrying around. Of course, not impossible.

Passport "somewhere in Bangkok" ... I am assuming you just met this girl, "cute" as she is.

Finally, any noxious substance here in Thailand leads to all sorts of problems. As you now know.

I would be really careful here. Listen to the song "Black Velvet Band" because it might contain some very good advice.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:00 AM, gamesgplayemail said:

Cops refused 50000 cash, how possible ?

I think the time where you fairly easily could buy your way of out troubles like this has finished, as the police is scrutinized after the military took power in 2014.

Also the person caught didn't have her passport, what will happen ? Passport is somewhere in Bangkok, do you think that she should ask someone to post it...

You can use postal EMS (Express Mail Service), it's safe and fast, can be at Koh Phangan or Koh Samui the next day.

Please help at least with a lawyer that can help in the process to let her go before going to court (it can take time)

She will most likely be moved to Koh Samui, where the Court House is, and temporary placed in Samui Prison, next to the Court House. A lawyer will normally be of much help in Court, but could be helpful in negotiating in Thai language with the authorities. 

You can use the Google search for lawyers, as here, or check this law-firm.

Expect that a bail can be a possibility, but the young lady in question cannot leave Thailand, before the case has been settled by the Court, which can take some time. Often the advise by lawyers is to "plead guilty", and hope for half punishment. In a case like this a fine could be it, eventually combined with the few days already spent in detention/prison.

Someone should contact her embassy, and let them know – if not already done – but they will normally not interfere in a case.

Do you or she know anybody at Koh Samui that could help, for example by a visit to the prison, if she ends up there, and bring her needs..?

Sounds like she is a bit silly no passport and having weed and getting caught . What a bummer . Google the lawyers in samui . see if you can find a good one . it will be expensive to get away with smack on the wrist . depends on the mood of the police with some luck she will pay and walk . Or she will have some time in custody . wish you good luck . Try to stay in touch with her.  she will need all the support she can get very scary stuff . 

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

It was a vid, part of a tv show, I think.  Can't recall where from. It was a few years back.

The story was her boyfriend asked her to hold the stash, the coppers searched her, and so on.  I think they were both Brits.  Happened at the FMP.

I remember it, I think it was Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand...

Quick Google brings up... 

The first episode of “Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand” features a skint young woman at a Koh Phangan Full Moon Party, who got caught with her boyfriend’s ganja and gets locked up.

4 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think it was called "Forget You Had a Daughter" in reference to what the Police chief supposedly told her parents, at the time!

That was the book that Sandra Gregory wrote and featured in one of the early Banged up (or Locked up) abroad shows.

3 minutes ago, Kim J said:

People should be made to pass a basic intelligence and common sense test before being issued a passport. Clearly if that were the case this tart would not be in the mess she finds herself currently because she has neither of those qualities.

Some better advice before travel wouldn't have gone amiss... However, young people do silly stuff.

I wonder if those commenting so negatively never got away with doing something silly before... 

I got away with doing some silly stuff which I'd never attempt now..

Young people just do stupid stuff....  This is hardly crime of the century, although illegal here the silly girl has got herself into trouble...  someone mentioned 'Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand'...

This episode involves a young girl caught with a little weed... it shows the process and may well help the Op to understand whats coming. 

It also seems that the Police don't really deal with this too seriously... but they're expecting their fine !

I don't know how this kind of think works now, but maybe 6 years ago I knew someone who did something stupid.  I found a lawyer by recommendation that was farang friendly and well respected, and I stayed out of it as much as possible apart from a couple of visits to the lawyer while they explained the process.  Got away with a fairly large fine (farang pay of course, since this person meant and still means a lot to me), but a lot less than what I'd value prison time.

The way a non legal practitioner friend who deals with people in jail to help them with contact with relatives and general needs/provisions said "the first 46 days you can think of the charge as written in pencil - that's your negotiation window.  After that for the next 46 it's written in pen, and that's the jails gain not police, so there is incentive to settle it quickly".  There was no bail mentioned, but it was harder drugs than your referring to.

None of this may be true today however.  It's not easy and I wouldn't go through with it again.  1 month later, she was picked up again (I believe it was her 'friend' handing in names who was a supplier trying to save her own a**), but that's never been claimed.  Only that said person would send small money each week while this alleged offender was banged up for the next 2.5 years.  Guilty of using, no doubt about that, but a set up also, I'm fairly suspicious  of that, as said person wasn't in need of that level of money and didn't have to be the idiot on the make.

Good luck.  I think the lawyer you find could be pivotal.  The one I mentioned didn't ask for a penny up front for services btw, only for the agreed settlement to be handed over.  Payment for services came after success.  It was all done in cash.

Stay as arms length as you possibly can.  It will only make it worse for you and your friend if they think there are richer pickings to be had.

On 12 September 2018 at 3:10 PM, simoh1490 said:

It doesn't matter, she will not be charged with overstay if she is in police custody.

A mate of mine ,out on bail, cops,or court had his pp, so he couldn't extend visa, charged with overstay. I always know the truth before I comment. 

15 hours ago, Kim J said:

You seem to be reinforcing my point here, you constantly mention young people and silly stuff. So clearly they are not adult or responsible enough to be traveling without parental guidance.

You mention better advice, well most western countries certainly the UK has extensive travel advice for all countries in the world on the Foreign Office website. The advice is there, people either do not read it or chose to ignore it at their own peril.

Yeah.. I think so to...  But, my point was more along the lines of....

.....Young people everywhere do silly stuff, we have all done silly stuff, most of us have gotten away with it.

That does not mean we should wait until we are 40 or considered fully mature to start traveling... we are all learning always have more growing up and learning.

I'd hate to think of the extent of the legal issues I'd get into for some of the fun and trouble I've caused in the past... things like coming out of a club at 4am & paying the Tuk-Tuk driver extra so I could drive, or telling motorcycle riders the one who gets us there first gets a tip.... All fun experiences but stuff I judge as highly stupid when I look back. 

Most of us get away with the dumb and stupid stuff we do for no other reason than good fortune...  life is a learning curve.

That said, I agree that people should be reading Foreign Office and other advice before traveling, the info is all out there and easy to find. But who, at 22 years old would even think to go to an Foreign Office website for advice before traveling to a country? Perhaps if this information was more 'marketable' to younger generations it may have more impact.

15 hours ago, Kim J said:

That is excellent advice. They will all be in it working together in order to extort as much cash as possible.

So what, if that helps someone to escape jail time for a silly law, it's ok. Or do you value your money  more than freedom?

Archived