Caught with weed on Koh Phangan island, lawyer contact please ? what will happen ?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd hate to think of the extent of the legal issues I'd get into for some of the fun and trouble I've caused in the past... things like coming out of a club at 4am & paying the Tuk-Tuk driver extra so I could drive, or telling motorcycle riders the one who gets us there first gets a tip.... All fun experiences but stuff I judge as highly stupid when I look back. 

Wow ! real thug ! 5555+

Did you also spend a day without calling Mom and Dad back home ?

Just joking but you are funny. When young I have been smoking and swallowing all illegal substances in the most dangerous countries, including the muslim dumps, and I can really thank god for still being alive...

So I agree with you that we all do stupid things when young and nobody should be punished for this !

I just want to let everyone know (since most of you seem to believe this story) that I posted bail for the girl in question and she just arrived at my house in Hua Hin. She has to stay for a month and she is very thankful for some place to stay rent free. She does not have a lot of clothes so she asked if we could go shopping for a pair of those short-short jeans all the Thai girls wear.

I will let you all know how the court hearing goes.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:01 AM, Kim J said:

Driving an unfamiliar vehicle, no doubt under the influence of alcohol, unlicenced and uninsured, again you appear to be reinforcing my point and also placing yourself firmly in the category of people that we are discussing.

Exactly that...    we both agree that young people do stupid things...   But I disagree with your point that they should not be allowed to travel... the traveling is a huge life experience and for many a fundamental part of growing up.

If you have never done anything silly, dumb, stupid, dangerous when you were young... what on earth did you do?

On 9/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, NCC1701A said:

I just want to let everyone know (since most of you seem to believe this story) that I posted bail for the girl in question and she just arrived at my house in Hua Hin. She has to stay for a month and she is very thankful for some place to stay rent free. She does not have a lot of clothes so she asked if we could go shopping for a pair of those short-short jeans all the Thai girls wear.

I will let you all know how the court hearing goes.

???.  Picture or it never happened!

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

???.  Picture or it never happened!

Cling film (glad wrap) for clothing is both hygienic, truthful, and one size fits all.

More seriously, I hope it works out well for you both.  I've had my own version of this drama.  Good in the end, but certainly more costly and much much more painful than I bargained for.  Hope the divestment is worth it to you.  I said yes, almost all disagreed with me.  Now they say yes also, but they didn't have their cock on the hot plate. 

9 hours ago, Kim J said:

Yes as you correctly point out we all do silly things. But personally I would not class going abroad to a country where they have severe penalties and getting involved with illegal narcotics as such.

I would say that go's way beyond "silly".

Not quite sure where the punishment is more severe.
Got caught twice in my life for smoking Mariuhana.
In the UK I was fined 280 GBP by the court.
In Thailand it was 2500 THB fine imposed by the court.

Now I would not call that severe, just a slap on the hands
and don't do it again  ?

9 hours ago, Kim J said:

Yes as you correctly point out we all do silly things. But personally I would not class going abroad to a country where they have severe penalties and getting involved with illegal narcotics as such.

I agree... It takes 'silly, dumb, stupid & even potentially dangerous' to a whole new level...  kids (young travelers) tend not to think of the consequences, its part of what is so enjoyable about being 'young and free'... Many adults and long term expats also lose the concept of consequence after a few beers as we can attest to given some of the news we read on this forum... 

... some continually drink drive, some don't have medical insurance, some marry a dirt poor girl half their age then wonder why they got ripped off, some overstay...  Its not just the young travelers getting into trouble... but when they do its usually judged (in aggregate) by us 'older folk' forgetting we too were once as silly and in some cases still are. 

9 minutes ago, JoeLing said:
9 hours ago, Kim J said:

and don't do it again  ?

Indeed... In the UK Possession of a Class B substance can get you up to 5 years in prison... but the Police may just issue an on the spot £90 fine... (which seems more common).  Over certain amounts (I'm not sure how much) and you could face up to 14 years in prison. 

However, in Thailand there is significant uncertainty and I suspect the prospect of prison time away from home much more frightening, but ultimately, it would 'appear' that the weed is handled fairly lightly and the 'foreigner' caught with such just has the frighteners put up them to separate them from as much money as possible.... 

It would appear that going through the system foreigners (and Thai's) are fined a relatively nominal amount. That said, fear plays a huge role, and there is perhaps a degree of uncertainty that the next case is different, someone will be made an example of etc and locked up for 2 years for possession of a joint etc... 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you have never done anything silly, dumb, stupid, dangerous when you were young... what on earth did you do?

Well, I did many stupid things but I never made up infantile stories and posted them on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well, I did many stupid things but I never made up infantile stories and posted them on the internet.

Instead choosing to post an infantile response brining nothing of intelligence to the debate. 

Examples not made up BTW...  plenty more silly stuff unmentioned... all examples of youthful exuberance and absence of thought of any consequence....  which is the point in bringing the examples to light - many of us at some point have acted without thought to the potential consequences. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Instead choosing to post an infantile response brining nothing of intelligence to the debate. 

Examples not made up BTW...  plenty more silly stuff unmentioned... all examples of youthful exuberance and absence of thought of any consequence....  which is the point in bringing the examples to light - many of us at some point have acted without thought to the potential consequences. 

Sorry, wasn't referring to you, was referring to the OP.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... In the UK Possession of a Class B substance can get you up to 5 years in prison... but the Police may just issue an on the spot £90 fine... (which seems more common).  Over certain amounts (I'm not sure how much) and you could face up to 14 years in prison. 

However, in Thailand there is significant uncertainty and I suspect the prospect of prison time away from home much more frightening, but ultimately, it would 'appear' that the weed is handled fairly lightly and the 'foreigner' caught with such just has the frighteners put up them to separate them from as much money as possible.... 

It would appear that going through the system foreigners (and Thai's) are fined a relatively nominal amount. That said, fear plays a huge role, and there is perhaps a degree of uncertainty that the next case is different, someone will be made an example of etc and locked up for 2 years for possession of a joint etc... 

Suppose nothing wrong with scaremongering,
if it keeps people away from trouble, never mind how small or big ?

5 hours ago, JoeLing said:

and don't do it again  ?

But in Thailand they tried to get more cash from you if you didn't want to wait for the court ? Were you a tourist at that time ?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You must be mistaken.  Nobody here on TV  has EVER done anything foolish or without thought.   Can't you tell by all the intelligent and thoughtful responses ?    

On 9/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, gamesgplayemail said:

I hope that someone can help, she is cute and I want to do as much as I can for her.

The White Knight is strong in this one. 

She played a stupid game, she won a stupid prize. I get it, tourists do stuff like that, but you're playing with fire doing it in a big tourist area. 

Part of me hopes you help get her out and then she commits you to the friendzone, I'm not sure why.

44 minutes ago, jrjrjr said:

Warning to people visiting Koh Tao when coming from a place where cannabis is legal. Friends tested positive on Koh tao even when they didn't do anything wrong in Thailand, and they had to pay an expensive "fine" to go home...

Was that before or after your friends considered trying to smuggle in e cigarettes?

Warning to people visiting Koh Tao when coming from a place where cannabis is legal. Friends tested positive on Koh tao even when they didn't do anything wrong in Thailand, and they had to pay an expensive "fine" to go home...
I read this same message now on 4 different threads. Your 15 minutes of fame?!?

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bribing an officer only works when caught. If you wait and there's several cops involved then they will never take the money. I'm not talking about Thailand specifically. If she were only caught smoking a joint then just relax and let it go to court and pay the 10000-20000 fine and finished. You can visit the girl and bring some smoke or food for her. She has to wait until Monday for court 

• 4 weeks later...
It doesn't matter, she will not be charged with overstay if she is in police custody.
Sorry but you are wrong i know of quite a few people who have been released from police custody and even jail and then been fined for overstay fact. It might be against thai law but welcome to thailand.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, dirtybirty said:

Sorry but you are wrong i know of quite a few people who have been released from police custody and even jail and then been fined for overstay fact. It might be against thai law but welcome to thailand.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When in police custody you will get 90 days extension for 1900 baht.

If you don't take care of that you will be on overstay,going to cost you 1900 baht per 90 days.

First if she was really caught which she wasn't they would let her out after a few weeks with a fine when the court is done and she showed her passport. Second good lawyers stay away from drug cases because they know that the respective laws are so harsh that they can only lose which damages their reputation. 

Third cops will not refuse 50k for a little weed. They will gladly accept it and let your dummy a$$ go. 

Fourth if the highest form of satisfaction you/her get in life is getting high on drugs and posting bs on tv then you might have seriously misunderstood what life is all about. 

Archived