Beer experts: if I am gonna drink a beer............

Nyezhov

14 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Carling Black Label is the best selling beer in Britain.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

Is Carling Black Label a high quality, non-fizzy beer? I always found it interesting that Brits talk such a big game over their Real Ales but then what they actually drink is Carling and Stella.

I'd be very surprised if Carling is the best selling beer in the UK. Awful. Don't know anyone who drinks it.

Stella was the best selling beer, a few years ago, don't know about now. My go to beer. Becoming harder to find in Thailand now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be very surprised if Carling is the best selling beer in the UK. Awful. Don't know anyone who drinks it.

Stella was the best selling beer, a few years ago, don't know about now. My go to beer. Becoming harder to find in Thailand now.
If Stella is #1 it still means that the most popular beer in the land of ale snobs is a pale lager from a foreign conglomerate. Of the top 10 beers in the UK, how many would you guess are ales brewed in the UK?

51 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

If Stella is #1 it still means that the most popular beer in the land of ale snobs is a pale lager from a foreign conglomerate. Of the top 10 beers in the UK, how many would you guess are ales brewed in the UK?

Technically, Stella is lager, not beer. It's brewed on licence in the UK. Many years ago, it was known as "Wifebeater" or "Brain Damage" due to it's high alcohol content and quaffability. However, after coming under pressure, the alcohol content was reduced in the UK, to 4.8 ABV I think, which also altered the flavour slightly. Can taste different in different countries. My favourite is Stella served in France. Not a bad pint in Thailand but must be served cold, quite difficult to achieve in Thailand. Bottled/canned Stella is substantially different to draught Stella.

My favourite true British beer is Tetley's. Again varies as there is more than one Tetleys brewery. Best Tetleys is brewed and drunk in Yorkshire.

There are many "Real Ales", a lot of them the produce of micro brewerys. Mostly drunk by old men with beards, socks and sandals or hiking boots and corduroy trousers. Mostly an unpleasant taste and served warm.

18 hours ago, suzannegoh said:
21 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:
Moved to Canada twenty years ago, yeah, Its North American Beer, just notUSA beer.

Is Carling Black Label a high quality, non-fizzy beer? I always found it interesting that Brits talk such a big game over their Real Ales but then what they actually drink is Carling and Stella.

No, its normal lager, as much time as I spend in England, I don;t find any of their "Beer" beer to my taste........I once saw a guy drinking a small bottle of Guinness Stout and a Miller high life at the breakfast table in Reading, he's take a sip of the Stiout then a gilp of the Miller  -  Bizarre.  lived in Belgium for four years in the Army, Not a beer in that country I don;t like - all 1200 of them!!!

Just now, Toosetinmyways said:

This beer is brewed with imported barley only. No added cerals ie rice. Hence single malt. It is also the only beer brewed in Thailand that meets German purity laws.

Is that that giant Can of Beer I saw in the store? Like huge? with a plastic seal across the top?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Is that that giant Can of Beer I saw in the store? Like huge? with a plastic seal across the top?

Probably you're thinking of Kaiserdom. That's dishwater from Germany that's labeled as "beer" and exported as a prank.  Federbrau is usually sold in green bottles or normal sized cans.

18 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Probably you're think of Kaiserdom. That's dishwater from Germany that's labeled as "beer" and exported as a prank.  Federbrau is usually sold in green bottles or normal sized cans.

Hard to find drinkable beer in a can or bottle. Draught every time for me, which is why I rarely drink in the house.

I prefer German Wiessbier, best German Weissbier in Bangkok, Erdinger. Sold on draught at a Bierhof on Sukhumvit Soi 5, 7? not far from Thermae. Probably could find draught Paulaner in Bangkok too.

Best beer I ever had in Bangkok? American smokehouse round the corner from Patpong. American ribs and 'slaw with a cold pint of draught Stella. Perfection.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Best beer I ever had in Bangkok? American smokehouse round the corner from Patpong. American ribs and 'slaw with a cold pint of draught Stella. Perfection.

How were the ribs and slaw? good slaw is hard to find. 

most english can't get heir heids around lager as what's referred to as 'beer' outside of England, not a top fermented ale...

Tetleys is the worst of all ales, even in Leeds years ago, horrible metallic aftertaste...I had the misfortune of living in the east midlands in England for a couple of years but there were excellent ales and the best were the ones from Burton on Trent: Ind Coope, Bass and Marstons Pedigree all of which were available in any beat pub in Derby and stored and served perfectly, only yobs drank lager...those ales didn't travel well and were always ruined south of Watford...always drank Harveys (Lewes) when we moved to Brighton...

I never bother with beer in Thailand, takes up too much space in the fridge and tastes horrible anyway...maybe have a Leo if at a food stall down the market which I can never finish...I had an Asahi at a restaurant in BKK a year ago and it wasn't bad, did someone say that it's now locally brewed and reasonably priced? if so it should blow everything else outta the water depending on availability, never seen it anywhere in the little town where I live...

20 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

most english can't get heir heids around lager as what's referred to as 'beer' outside of England, not a top fermented ale...

You're being too kind to them.  Despite their boorishness over the superiority of British ales, few know the difference between a lager and an ale and far more Stella and Carling is sold in Britain than any ale.

39 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

You're being too kind to them.  Despite their boorishness over the superiority of British ales, few know the difference between a lager and an ale and far more Stella and Carling is sold in Britain than any ale.

well...ye can't blame them much, buying a few cans at the supermarket or off license is a lot cheaper than a night out at the local pub, if there still happens to be a local pub available...the mass closure of local pubs has been a big CAMRA issue for some years now...sounds quite horrendous...from recent news photos looks like the only folks than can afford a pint of hand pulled cask bitter at a pub these days are Nigel Farage and his friends...

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=nigel+farage+with+beer+photo&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH737TH737&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=586eDu-PyPJfvM%3A%2C8Z3DS4kAZ8HdFM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSt9COCtPNZ7kXfH1zDCE4tPMj2ZQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7tcu-1NPdAhUMOI8KHdpKBWkQ9QEwCHoECAAQFA#imgrc=586eDu-PyPJfvM:

Done the Beer Lao adulation bit and over it. Used to drink Tiger until about 5 or 6 years ago when I came across San Miguel Pale Pilsen in a hotel mini-bar fridge. It's my go-to local brew now and only 38 baht a (small) bottle at the usual outlets. They had a special on buy 2 cases get 1 free at the wholesalers and a few of the pubs in Udon used to sell it at 50 baht a (small) bottle. Great deal IMHO. 

There's a couple of places in Udon that have draft beers, London Pride, East Coast IPA, Old Speckled Hen, King Mule IPA and Hacklberg Hell, etc.. But prices are getting a bit unwieldy.

The last time I was visiting the homeland, several pints of Caffrey's were the order of the night, or Bellhaven 80 Shilling if starting early.

But regardless of what beer and where it's drank, I find if one can't reach escape velocity, switch to shorts!

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

An "aquired taste" that thankfully I never acquired.

To answer the OP: if ya gonna drink beer.........ask yourself why ? You cant honestly say it tastes good can you ? 

Actually I had a Phuket Brewery Ale last night and it was tasty.......but Im a spirits dude I reckon

Archived