Sleeping pills in Chiang Mai

NorthernRyland

I've got some nasty dental work coming up that's going to affect my sleep for a few days then after that international travel. Is it possible to get some sleeping pills here in Chiang Mai for these reasons? I know they've clamped down on them in the clinics (or they'll give you over the counter stuff) but maybe I could go to a hospital?

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Some dentists offer sedatives prior to procedures as mine does ( I dread going), ask yours to get you some. Or go to a clinic and tell them your going to have a long haul flight. I've always been able to get three or four doses of something for my 24hr flights, I just show them my flight ticket. 

Thanks. What kind of stuff did you get from the clinics here? I've asked for stuff in the past from clinics and got just antihistamines. My girlfriend got me some at the public hospital once which were anti depressants but they worked ok I guess. It's clear they really don't want people to get these things for some reason.

14 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Thanks. What kind of stuff did you get from the clinics here? I've asked for stuff in the past from clinics and got just antihistamines. My girlfriend got me some at the public hospital once which were anti depressants but they worked ok I guess. It's clear they really don't want people to get these things for some reason.

They don't want to hand them out for a good reason, abuse of these meds can mess you up bad. The dentist usually gives me lorazepam which reduces my anxiety to point where I'm not ripping up the vinyl on the dental chair arms when I'm getting a root canal. I've used the same for flights which has kept me from strangling the kid behind me after he kicked the back of my seat for 6 hrs. Don't even think about drinking with them, it's dangerous. In fact, if you plan to drink on the plane I wouldn't take these type of meds at all, some folks have had real bad times with just a small amount of alcohol.  

13 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I suggest you go to Sripat, the private service of the Chiang Mai University hospital. They will ask you to see a doctor first, but they will prescribe a real sleeping pill---Zolpidem, the generic for Ambien.

Sounds good, thanks.

Not all sleeping aids work. Finding the right one for you can sometimes be a long journey.

I have suffered insomnia for many years and the only one that works for me is Alpazolam 1 mg .

That was perscribed by my long term Dr Morgan at Health Care Medical Centre, Hang Dong Rd.Not available over the counter .

Suggest you seek medical advice and leave the alcohol alone

31 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

You can get some pretty nice opioids over the counter that elsewhere would require prescription elsewhere. Not good to take all the time though, of course!

If it "requires a prescription elsewhere" what in hell makes it a  "pretty nice opioids over the counter" here?

You seem to be suggesting some dangerous stuff here. 

That is why doctors are meant to "Prescribe" them!  It is to protect both the taker of the potentially dangerous drug  and other innocent bystanders who may be on the receiving (side) affects of a third party's side drug influenced actions.  How many aircraft diverts as caused by drugged and especially combined alcohol  induced violent outbursts.

Also remember that a "sleeping tablet/drunk" induced zombie on an aircraft who cannot be roused from deep "sleep/stupor" is a danger to all around in an emergency.

Stay alert or at least be capable of becoming immediately alert when required to on a flight.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, scottiejohn said:

If it "requires a prescription elsewhere" what in hell makes it a  "pretty nice opioids over the counter" here?

You seem to be suggesting some dangerous stuff here. 

That is why doctors are meant to "Prescribe" them!  It is to protect both the taker of the potentially dangerous drug  and other innocent bystanders who may be on the receiving (side) affects of a third party's side drug influenced actions.  How many aircraft diverts as caused by drugged and especially combined alcohol  induced violent outbursts.

Also remember that a "sleeping tablet/drunk" induced zombie on an aircraft who cannot be roused from deep "sleep/stupor" is a danger to all around in an emergency.

Stay alert or at least be capable of becoming immediately alert when required to on a flight.

You've managed to go off on a tangent. No one ever said anything about flying or mixing with alcohol or roaming the streets on opioids. If you've been prescribed opioids, you'd know they aid sleep, a side effect, and don't really turn you into a maniac. Sounds like you're referring to other drugs like meth, crack etc. 

fwiw: for this bag of meat and bones, opiods do not promote sleep; they act on me like caffeine.

This was happening even before the singularity that transformed/united me with a dying Orangutan's mind/soul fourteen years ago.

I got into a Xanax dependency during the worst part of radiation and chemo, and after; it was bloody hell to kick that habit !

Dr. Ashton;s site was the best resource I found for withdrawal side-effects, and recovery: Dr. Ashton's site (UK)

cheers, ~o:37;

I would recommend Dr Panu clinic off Thapae Road, Soi 4 (I think). He is a fully registered physician who has several different types of sleeping pill that you can't get in a pharmacy.

You can ask his advice and I'm sure he'll prescribe you something suitable without the hassle of a hospital. He can also provide you with a medical certificate to take when you travel for only an additional 100b so if for any reason you do get stopped you have a medical certificate.

He is open Mon-Fri 6.00pm -8pm (The times say different if you google the clinic but he always closes early, 8pm would be the latest).

Finally all you need to register is your passport, a copy of your passport or photo ID.

Atorax causes disturbing dreams, although I find Piriton, another first-generation sedating antihistamine, OK in this regard. And at just THB20 for 50 it won't break the bank. But beware of any sedative use during long-haul flights, as long-term immobility significantly increases the risk for deep vein thrombosis

• 6 months later...

It is quite easy to get medicine that you need at St. Louis Hospital.  Immediately after you enter the front (not side) entrance the pharmacy is on the left.  I think that it has an English sign that says "Medicine" over the door.  Prescribing doctors are on duty at all times.  Just go to the nurses' station on the left and tell a nurse what you need.  She will take your vitals and give you a queue number.  There was no one waiting when I went there and the doctor agreed that he could prescribe what I wanted -Zolpidem (Ambien) 10 mg.  The pharmacy won't be able to give you more than 100 tablets which is a little over a three months' supply for me.  I had been paying Bumrungrad 77 baht per tablet.  At St. Louis the cost was 22 baht.

Trazodone was mentioned earlier.  It is indeed a potent CNS depressant but one of its side effects is deafness.  I think that it caused the temporary deafness in my left ear.  I immediately went to a doctor who confirmed the deafness and gave me some nasty-tasting medicine plus a high dose of vitamin B12 which brought my hearing back within about three weeks.  I presently take Ambien for sleeping problems.  It wears off after about 10 hours or so.  I would prefer to take Temazepam which wears off in 8 hours,  Optimum functioning during your waking hours is important and long-acting depressants like Diazepam can dim your vision and spatial awareness when you don't want them to be dimmed.  Anybody thinking of taking Trazodone would be well advised to read through its side effects first.  People who lose their hearing and don't receive prompt treatment can become permanently deaf.

It is often best to use the hospitals....tell them what you want and you are often moved up quickly to a Psychiatrist...they are often not that busy. Tell them what you require and usually no problem as you went through the right procedure. I wanted Zopiclone and they said they only had Imovane in Thailand. Very similar sleep aids. Over the counter sleepers are antihistamines. Avoid unless you have an allergy too ;-)

Ask for 30, which is a normal 'ask'. I have found 3 or 4 days in a row and the 5 th night you do not sleep without them. So, you get exhausted from lack of sleep one night and learned how to moderate. ;-) Usually, only the hospital can provide them even with a prescription from a legit doctor. For pain use Tramadol and usually available in most shady pharmacies. Like a Tynalol 3.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, ZeVonderBearz said:

You can get some pretty nice opioids over the counter that elsewhere would require prescription elsewhere. Not good to take all the time though, of course!

Rubbish.

5 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Rubbish.

It's true. They sell cough preparations that contain low doses of opium. If you have a severe cough, nothing else works. All they give here is Dextromorthephan. If you go to the E.R. they give "Brown mixture" which is the same thing sold in the pharmacy for about 40 Baht per bottle. It contains tincture of opium. Tastes awful.

This being Thailand I would be more concerned with finding a dentist that did the job properly.

As for the sleeping pills. Some of the drugs suggested have nasty side effects. Google the drug and read up on side effects before using.

Archived