UK supermarket Morrisons to sell products in Big C

webfact

I wont expect too much from this announcement, they wont be UK prices and they wont be competing with local products. The Waitrose prices in Central reflect the cost of importing and this will be the same, still there will be the option to buy.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Tesco are not cheap, there is little competition here so the charge the most they can get, I avoid them here and in the UK.

The exchange rate is even worse now and the greed sees the prices going even higher so i avoid imprted goods but even the Thai products are going up and without any competion here i dont have much choice .

Big C are trying to play hardball with the cheese. Back up to 209 baht from a steady price of 185 baht last year. That's the 250g block. Elsewhere on the aisles impressed with pricing of most stuff but beans are a  no go. Moving along to the jams and spreads there's deals to be had. This pineapple jam we buy comes in a half pint style glass cup with a nice handle, brucey bonus as the jams decent too. Skippy peanut butter does the job for me snackwise and a jar lasts a month (roughly 12 sandwiches) at 199 baht it's decent. Fresh juices are getting better in price and variety we stick with 100% juices - peach is my favourite. Not of a dilemma at present with the cheese as my Mrs has perfected the mac and cheese and we got a massive kiln type pot to cook it in and I'm refusing to buy the cheese from big C. I'll hit macro for the cheese I think but I need a caution to this ongoing problem as I just cannot rely on big C when it comes to cheese.

9 minutes ago, nong38 said:

I wont expect too much from this announcement, they wont be UK prices and they wont be competing with local products. The Waitrose prices in Central reflect the cost of importing and this will be the same, still there will be the option to buy.

Rubbish the option to buy will be there for a short time and it will be discontinued very quickly. It's a flash in the pan.

12 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Rubbish the option to buy will be there for a short time and it will be discontinued very quickly. It's a flash in the pan.

Must admit I have seen this before on several products, almost as if they told by HO to sell them, report to HO they did not sell, had to discount them and never seen again. They don't seem to want to sell anything new even if it sells and the mark up is good, unless of course, its Thai, trading skills of the lazy on view on a daily basis.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, keith101 said:

Uttaradit does not have a Big C yet but one has been proposed , how much extra are people going to have to pay for all of these imported goods an example i usually the Australian cereal Weet-Bix which was 98baht per box of 24 rom Tesco Lotus but it is now 108baht so i wont be buying them any more it seems that Tesco is raising the prices of most things making it very expensive to shop there these days especially with the exchange rate the way it is on the Aussie dollar .

I think you will find this service will extend to the larger Big Cs with a western market as opposed to theose outwith the areas such as Chiang Mai Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket.

Look at any big supermarket outside these areas and there is very little if any presence of a 'western' section. Quite right too as stuff would just moulder awayon the shelf.

If a ten baht increase for 24 Weetabix is killing you I really don't feel your pain. A 42 satang increase per Bix- Jeez that's sad.

3 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Must admit I have seen this before on several products, almost as if they told by HO to sell them, report to HO they did not sell, had to discount them and never seen again. They don't seem to want to sell anything new even if it sells and the mark up is good, unless of course, its Thai, trading skills of the lazy on view on a daily basis.

If it did well it would just be copied like all supermarket products. I must say though fisherman's friend has always been there. Halls are a good price here too. 25p/10 baht. Same packs are £1 in UK.

12 minutes ago, nong38 said:

This.

It sits on the shelf at a stupid price going stale. Then heavily discounted to move it on before the lot goes entirely bad.

Then they bring in more fancy farang food that Thais have never eaten and no idea what it is. I've seen German food that even I couldn't identity by the packaging.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Big C are trying to play hardball with the cheese. Back up to 209 baht from a steady price of 185 baht last year. That's the 250g block. Elsewhere on the aisles impressed with pricing of most stuff but beans are a  no go. Moving along to the jams and spreads there's deals to be had. This pineapple jam we buy comes in a half pint style glass cup with a nice handle, brucey bonus as the jams decent too. Skippy peanut butter does the job for me snackwise and a jar lasts a month (roughly 12 sandwiches) at 199 baht it's decent. Fresh juices are getting better in price and variety we stick with 100% juices - peach is my favourite. Not of a dilemma at present with the cheese as my Mrs has perfected the mac and cheese and we got a massive kiln type pot to cook it in and I'm refusing to buy the cheese from big C. I'll hit macro for the cheese I think but I need a caution to this ongoing problem as I just cannot rely on big C when it comes to cheese.

All the shops put mainland NZ cheese up to 209 baht, it was back down again to 189 yesterday in Big C. I found Macro to be no cheaper than big C for most things and in some cases eg spirits to be more expensive.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Have a tin of Heinz beans in my cupboard. Bought them from my local expat store when they were on offer.

Always had a thing for McVities plain chocolate digestives. Bought them twice here, once from Big C, took them home and stored them in the fridge. On both occasions, when I tried to eat them, I found that the chocolate had previously melted and they'd set into a solid block. No point in buying them.

Perhaps when you brought them home you could have separated them, put them in the fridge individually and when the chocolate was set, sling them in a ziplock bag and taken as many out as you need.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'd love to be able to afford Heinz Beanz AND digestive biscuits.  When friends/family visit I always ask for the above and roll-on deodorants which are double the UK price thanks to Thai cartels.

I get family and friends to bring me fresh supplies whenever possible; in other words, every visitor has to come loaded with my shopping list.    When we travel to Western or Western style countries i bring back as much as i can carry and although there are supposed to be certain foods not permitted i have never been questioned about any tins, jars or packeted foods by Customs, even though they have searched my Luggage from time to time.   They seem only interested in Tobacco and Booze products that may be over the limit.

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

All the shops put mainland NZ cheese up to 209 baht, it was back down again to 189 yesterday in Big C. I found Macro to be no cheaper than big C for most things and in some cases eg spirits to be more expensive.

My local Tesco Lous had it on sale at 104 so I bought about 10. Once it was gone they've never re-stocked. Same thing in Big C with Mother's Pride butter. Same in 7-11 when they sold off several Magnum ice cream flavours and never re-stocked them.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, pr9spk said:

I can't imagine ever seeing a Thai person eating a Cornish pasty, let alone paying 200 baht for the privilege! Maybe a Thai who studied in the UK and came home afterwards, even then the difference in quality would surely put them off.

So even if they can make them here to a good standard (which I highly doubt), they aren't going to sell many so the price has to cover the ones they chuck away.

Cornish pasties are very easy to make at home and can be baked inside one of those oil-drum type bbq's, so I think you'd be much better off making them yourself. I've done some pretty good ones (but without swede because I couldn't get it - no big loss), and also pizza, shepherds pie, lasagne, french bread, fish and chips, home made pasta etc, although I mostly just eat local food because most foreign dishes usually seem to include at least one ingredient which makes it uneconomical to cook regularly (like fresh beef, mozzarella cheese, mexican fajitas, or imported flour).

RIMPING sells Imported AUSSIE MEAT PIES (FOUR ‘n TWENTY Brand.)

They are BEAUTIFUL BUT... For what they are charging, you might just as well buy the whole COW.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Rc2702 said:

Yh but versus all the things that don't cost a packet in Thailand. Means you would moan regardless of the cost. Just a moaner. I'm with you on the beans though.

So you are OK with the beans?  Could you list all the things that don't cost a packet in Thailand besides rice?  (In comparison with prices in Europe.)

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

So you are OK with the beans?  Could you list all the things that don't cost a packet in Thailand besides rice?  (In comparison with prices in Europe.)

Chicken 66 baht a kilogram  big C

Pasta 50 baht 500g big C

Fishermans friend 37 baht big C

Halls lozenges 10 baht Tesco

Eggs x 30  85 baht big C

The list is endless so maybe you need to do the shopping instead of the wily Mrs.

The beans are awful.

Archived