Taxi vans want the same deal as VIP cabs - 100 baht from airports and right not to use meter

webfact

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

The scumbags make 2 - 3 minimum wage on a single journey into the city. What "living wage" nonsense are you talking about? Most taxi drivers I talk to in the suburbs despise the Airport and CBD taxi brigade because they give the rest of them a bad name.

On another note, I don't even know why people bother with the Airport taxis for long distances either - Taxi to Pattaya, 1,500 but for 1,700 you can book the AOT Isuzu Mu-X which is comfortable and has actual space for more than 1 person's suitcase.

1000 for me 900 the other way pre booked 

Having driven a taxi for few years back in Sydney whilst doing my studies, and I make sure that I do not catch a taxi in Thailand, period.

As soon as I fly to Phuket regardless of where I am coming from, I book a car, the cost to and from Patong from the airport is the same, sometimes less than a taxi and I get use of the car if I need it, that said, it mainly sits at the hotel while I am there for 2-3 days, unless its raining as I might take a drive to Nai Harn or even Krabi if I am up for it, sure I pay for the juice on top of the hire, but hey, I don't have to put up with horses who have blinkers on that bold straight out of the gates at sometimes over 100km's at night to get me to where I am going, same same on the way back, and to top it off they have no insurance, as I think its 50,000 baht cover for passengers, what a joke, they and their industry deserve to be boycotted as I do IMO

26 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

1000 for me 900 the other way pre booked 

So what are the prices at the airport taxi stand? I can understand pre-booked being cheaper, but I'm just comparing the AOT counter to the taxi stand. I read that prices were 1,500 but could be wrong.

Why can it not be like Singapore, leave the airport into cab,

tell the driver were you want to go,easy,simple,no hassle,

the Government need to stamp down hard on these taxi

drivers, they are the first face that tourists are in contact

with outside the airport,and it's not a good experience.

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

How many customers make a journey over 300 kilometers from an airport? I'll bet these "VIP" Taxis never use their meters, short or long-haul.

What about the Bus Station also? Last time we used the Bus, they all wanted NO Meter, had to walk around to the other side of the station to find one. We usually tip enough from BKK to Nakon Pathom to meet some of the offers, but if he isn't a good driver, that's different!

I would believe there is a difference between an VIP car, and a normal metered taxi, where a higher VIP service-level justify a different (higher) fee for VIP-service; but maybe I'm wrong. If VIP-service is exactly the same as a metered taxi, then VIP-fee should be reduced to normal metered taxi fee, and the case is thereby solved...?

2 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Just using your fare as an example,  that's about 3-4 days of a reasonable Thai wage.  So as a comparison,  does anybody know what a fare would be in Australia for a similar service and distance?

Taxi Rates

Brisbane Taxi Rates

Queensland

Tariff 1 (05:00 - 18:59)
Flag Fall Distance Rate Booking Fee Waiting Time
$2.90 $2.17/km $1.50 $0.82/minute
Tariff 2 (19:00 - 23:59)
$4.30 $2.17/km $1.50 $0.82/minute
Tariff 3 (00:00 - 04:59)
$6.30 $2.17/km $1.50 $0.82/minute
Additional Fees
Holiday Fee Tariff 2 applies on public holidays. Tariff 3 does NOT apply on ANZAC day.
Airport Rank Fee $3.50
Credit Card Fee The maximum amount payable for a taxi non-cash payment surcharge is 10% inclusive of GST.

This keeps coming up year after year the government sets on their asses and do nothing. I came here in 1970 and then it was a negotiate each trip, in 1998 when I returned it was a meter haven they were just starting to use them, still some taxis without meter. it has been 20 years and the base price is still 35 baht that is way to low after 20 years. The government needs to wise up and rais the base price and the  kilometer charge.

10 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

I'll take a guess that the taxi in Aus will have insurance cover to cover any and all forms of injury sustained during their ride.

Taxis here are also injured,if not they are off the road.

typican nanny state trash person.

thank god I’m not from a country where the government control my life..

14 hours ago, Lupatria said:

What's next? Extra charge to turn on the aircon $ 10, three pieces of luggage in the trunk $ 25, and paper napkin $ 2.50 per piece?

thais juz cant cant help themselves taxi at it all over again thailand land of the rip offs  junta mostly scared off cash paying farang tourists , no wonder  they are going to vietnam , philippines, burma, cambodia, chinese hardly spend any money inside thailand mostly spent in China before they come , group tours , hotels ,jewelry stores , restaurants even the busses are paid for all in china , good old sherlock holmes Joke joke gone to the UK what a blast will he pickup red bull heir , shinawatra clan and mates 

13 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Taxi Rates

Brisbane Taxi Rates

Queensland

Additional Fees
Holiday Fee Tariff 2 applies on public holidays. Tariff 3 does NOT apply on ANZAC day.
Airport Rank Fee $3.50
Credit Card Fee The maximum amount payable for a taxi non-cash payment surcharge is 10% inclusive of GST.

Wow,  those rates appear quite high, at first glance. Thanks for posting.

Distance between Pattaya and Suvarnabhumi Airport is 86.11 km. If we use tariff 2 then that comes to approximately $191. Figure quoted using AOT was 1700 baht (approx $72.76) Obviously much cheaper.

But we want to know is are these taxi drivers asking too much. The only way to know is make comparison between fees charged and local earnings.
using minimum wage of $151.44 for an 8 hour day the Australian fare comes out at 1.26xearnings.
Using a reasonable Thai daily wage of 500baht the Thai fare comes out at 3.4xearnings. Even a very low fare as another poster indicated of 900 baht still comes out at 1.8xearnings.

Then take into account insurance,  condition of vehicle,  the driver,  safety and security and there is no comparison.  These drivers IMO are overcharging for sure,  but still want more.

19 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Taxi Rates

Brisbane Taxi Rates

Queensland

Additional Fees
Airport Rank Fee $3.50

Do they drive better or differently at night? Why the higher price at evening or night? Or can they fly above the traffic at night?

Yes,  Roong Reuang Coach from the airport to Pattaya.  Only 120baht which is not to bad for a private company.

Very comfortable and reliable service rather than dealing with those taxi drivers who refuse to use metres.
Funny thing is once you are in Pattaya you are victim of the taxi and tuk tuk mafia and unless you use a public baht bus your fare is higher than the bus.

Archived