Jump to content
BANGKOK 25 March 2019 22:37
mojaco

Some Confusion on Need to Report Return to Immigration

Recommended Posts

On 9/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, 1337markus said:

your location has to be reported to Immigration whenever you change , quote from brommers reply. I havent changed location in 13 years. The uneducated Immigration people still demand everytime I come into Chiang Mai from outside of Thailand a TM 30 report, wife has been fined once so far for being late on reporting. Until someone in Bangkok in RTP has a brain  and makes a guideline these variations continue.

Feel sorry for those of you living in the North. I have lived in Bangkok for years and in Phuket as well and never bothered with this constant reporting. TM 30 is supposed to be done by hotels via the internet and landlords through immigration 

I travel a lot in and out of Thailand and this reporting never comes up on my annual extension. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Feel sorry for those of you living in the North. I have lived in Bangkok for years and in Phuket as well and never bothered with this constant reporting. TM 30 is supposed to be done by hotels via the internet and landlords through immigration 

I travel a lot in and out of Thailand and this reporting never comes up on my annual extension. 

You'd get a surprise if you went into Phuket Town Immigration now then.

I returned from my last trip o/s and 90 days later turned up  at PT and the IO acted quite exasperated . He stayed patient  but said I must  come and tell them within 48 hours of my return from o/s  EVERY TIME ,  and made me come back next day with all the documents to do another  "Notification of Residence" ( with Landlords Power of Attorney , 10 baht tax stamp , land book copies - the LOT.) before doing the 90 day report.

He did say later  that the staff at PT were too busy to handle anything but o/s travel and they werent interested  in reports  only dealing with domestic travel...

 

It appears silly to me to advise people to not do something  that none of them  willingly want to do in the first place .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so confusing , here in Sakeo I had returned from OS and wanted to report but my partner said Immigration Officer said no need if coming back to same address.Fortunately I will be out again before the 90 day report but would like to know if she is correct.Will see what happens next I do my 90 days in Feb.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a fine once for staying in a resort in the south and hadn't reported that we returned home. Absolute <deleted>.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

I got a fine once for staying in a resort in the south and hadn't reported that we returned home. Absolute <deleted>.

Same here.

 

We travel a lot within Thailand.  In Chiang Mai they got really anal about it.  We were sick of going there, waiting, just to tell them we were back home after one of 2 days away!!!

 

But they change their minds like the wind.  Last time we went the dismissed us, as told us we did not need to report it unless we were out of the country!!!!  2 of them confirmed it.  So we have not done it.  But I expect to get another fine, when they change their mind depending on their mood.

 

Where is the consistency in applying the laws?  It's like they get some kick out of worrying people and confusing them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Same here.

 

We travel a lot within Thailand.  In Chiang Mai they got really anal about it.  We were sick of going there, waiting, just to tell them we were back home after one of 2 days away!!!

 

But they change their minds like the wind.  Last time we went the dismissed us, as told us we did not need to report it unless we were out of the country!!!!  2 of them confirmed it.  So we have not done it.  But I expect to get another fine, when they change their mind depending on their mood.

 

Where is the consistency in applying the laws?  It's like they get some kick out of worrying people and confusing them.  

According to our local Immigration office which is in Chiang Mai Province you only need you report the address when returning from 

overseas, has been that way for close to 2 years.

Like you say that could change next week.

Last week they started requiring proof to support the income Statutory Declaration signed by the Australian Consulate

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Same here.
 
We travel a lot within Thailand.  In Chiang Mai they got really anal about it.  We were sick of going there, waiting, just to tell them we were back home after one of 2 days away!!!
 
But they change their minds like the wind.  Last time we went the dismissed us, as told us we did not need to report it unless we were out of the country!!!!  2 of them confirmed it.  So we have not done it.  But I expect to get another fine, when they change their mind depending on their mood.
 
Where is the consistency in applying the laws?  It's like they get some kick out of worrying people and confusing them.  
If you are travelling within the country how would they know if you returned home and not report it ? I can understand they can check your passport if returning from overseas.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 12:29 AM, gaviny said:

This is so confusing , here in Sakeo I had returned from OS and wanted to report but my partner said Immigration Officer said no need if coming back to same address.Fortunately I will be out again before the 90 day report but would like to know if she is correct.Will see what happens next I do my 90 days in Feb.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

 

I live in Phuket and this was the same advice I received. Went in and out of the country several times, then, suddenly it changed. I now fill out a TM28 form each time I come back from abroad (I have rented the house and land for 30 years). If you don't do this now in Phuket, not only do you have a problem with the annual extension, but, you cannot do the 90 day reporting online because the TM6 arrival card does not match what is in the immigration database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gaviny said:

If you are travelling within the country how would they know if you returned home and not report it ? I can understand they can check your passport if returning from overseas.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Not really sure.  However, all the hotels we stay in register us there, and want to see out passports.  So that information is put onto some computer database.  No idea if they ever check it.

 

In our case we were also moving house, renting on while building the new one, and then moving into the new house and had to register our new address etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned in my opening post, I have now stayed with visiting friends for 4 nights in the Wiang Inn hotel in the city of Chiang Rai.  My registered address is some 25 kilometers east of the city and my Immigration Office is in Chiang Rai Province.  This morning I went to Chiang Rai Immigration, and, YES, I had to report that I was now "back home" at my registered address, and WITHIN 24 hours of returning.  A person ahead of me was reprimanded for being "late" as it was more than 24 hours (but less than 48 hours) when he reported being back home from an overseas trip.

 

I was also told to tell the hotels to make certain the hotels actually enters the passport information into the Immigration systems as "Sometimes the hotels forget to do so".

 

So, Chiang Rai Immigration does not care where you go when you are not "at home" and must report to them within 24 hours of returning "back home".  No paperwork is required other than them looking at the previous report stapled in your passport and then *it appears that* they enter something into their computer.  But they do not give a new revised printed report to replace the one in the passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...