DTAC September 15th

ukrules

Does anyone know what the deal is with DTAC ?

I've been told that I might need to get a new sim card today in order to avoid being disconnected at midnight tonight.

This is to do with their 850 MHz license expiring for mobile phone services.

I have a Samsung phone, Galaxy S8 which has one of those tiny little nanosim cards which slides into the top of the phone. The sim was issued in January this year so it's a new one.

Do I need to change my Sim card or service provider or is this just some marketing fluff that's doing the rounds amongst Thais ?

I was warned about this by someone who saw it on the Thai TV news recently.

I have a feeling something's lost in translation here, my phone is capable of connecting on various different frequencies and DTAC operate on more than one based on what I've read.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, ukrules said:

Do I need to change my Sim card or service provider or is this just some marketing fluff that's doing the rounds amongst Thais ?

You've got until December now due to a (literally) last minute court order. I took mine in a couple of days ago as it was a 12 year old simcard, I was expecting to have to ditch the old Nokia phone I was using it in, but turned out to be triband, so the old phone is working fine with the new 4g simcard. Easy ten minute registration, just had to take my old simcard and ID into a DTAC shop. 

On 9/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, ukrules said:

I have a Samsung phone, Galaxy S8 which has one of those tiny little nanosim cards which slides into the top of the phone. The sim was issued in January this year so it's a new one.

Sorry, missed this detail - you've already got a 4g simcard so no you won't need to do anything. 

Archived