BANGKOK 19 April 2019 04:14
Polanskiman

Growing "aji dulce" or sweet pepper in Bangkok

Hello,

I brought back some sweet peppers or "aji dulce" (that's how they called it) seeds from Venezuela. I planted them and they have been growing happily for the past 4 weeks.

I want to experiment with hydroponic (Kratky method) and wish to move just a few plants to hydroponics. I want to make this as simple as possible because I really don't have much space or the money so I will be buying a few 5 gallon buckets and some net cups, nutrients and a ph tester. That is it.

This said can anyone provide some advise of where I could find the proper nutriments and also if possible provide the adequate mix proportions?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Edited by Polanskiman
Specified hydroponic method

I would say Wesco Chemicals in Bangkok could be helpful for your purpose.
I think they can suggest you the correct nutrients for your peppers.
Let's wait what others think about it.

14 hours ago, CLW said:

I would say Wesco Chemicals in Bangkok could be helpful for your purpose.
I think they can suggest you the correct nutrients for your peppers.
Let's wait what others think about it.

IIrc i have been searching for that Wesco, the gps lead me into a sub to a building where they had never heard of that company....

So make sure you get the right address....better go to the gardencenters to buy it..

• Like 1

I dont think you could use Kratky for peppers due to the uptake requirements of peppers, better to use buckets and drippers. I buy all my stuff from these guys http://www.higreenshop.com/ much cheaper than others for the same products. Amazingly https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-soils-fertilisers-and-mulches/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.breadcrumb.3.588e7ff65ev0rw Lazada is selling lots of good ferts and things with decent prices and some things that are hard to source elsewhere.

• Like 1

IIrc i have been searching for that Wesco, the gps lead me into a sub to a building where they had never heard of that company....

So make sure you get the right address....better go to the gardencenters to buy it..
Wesco also delivers by post and can speak some basic English if you call them.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Notagain said:

I dont think you could use Kratky for peppers due to the uptake requirements of peppers, better to use buckets and drippers. I buy all my stuff from these guys http://www.higreenshop.com/ much cheaper than others for the same products. Amazingly https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-soils-fertilisers-and-mulches/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.breadcrumb.3.588e7ff65ev0rw Lazada is selling lots of good ferts and things with decent prices and some things that are hard to source elsewhere.

Thanks. Dripper seems a bit more advanced and would require more maintenance. I saw these videos on youtube: 

Wouldn’t that be possible?

Thanks for the links.

NIce video but where is the end result ? My understanding of the kratky system is basically its for short term 30-60  growth product due to the sacrificial nutrient solution design. I mean maybe to grow a good pepper plant you could use a large drum of some kind, but one things for sure it would be drinking up the solution which I dont think you can replenish during growth. I may be wrong though. 

Here is the end result:

But clearly the guy is growing them under artificial lighting.

I also want to clarify one thing. I don’t want to grow bell pepper but sweet pepper also known as cachucha pepper. They are not the same and usually they are smaller plants.

Anyway I am not an expert in this so if you guys think it is not a good idea then I might have to reconsider.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, Polanskiman said:

And by the way does anyone know if General Hydroponics Flora Series can be found here in Bangkok?

Anyone?

On 9/18/2018 at 4:49 AM, Polanskiman said:

Anyone?

Go to thonburi market and see the plant department. or buy it online...chatuchak market on wednesday also has a lot...or just build something out of buckets.

I think it's sure possible to grow peppers, i had a paprika on my balcony producing fruit but it only got 2 hours sun a day...

Go to thonburi market and see the plant department. or buy it online...chatuchak market on wednesday also has a lot...or just build something out of buckets.

I think it's sure possible to grow peppers, i had a paprika on my balcony producing fruit but it only got 2 hours sun a day...

Thanks but the question was about finding the General Hydroponics nutrients specifically. I actually found them but they are outrageously expensive here:

http://www.ledgrowing-plants.com/category/49/nutrients-สารอาหารพืช/general-hydroponics

36 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Thanks but the question was about finding the General Hydroponics nutrients specifically. I actually found them but they are outrageously expensive here:

http://www.ledgrowing-plants.com/category/49/nutrients-สารอาหารพืช/general-hydroponics

It's in white plastic bottles and called A and B...you need both of them to mix with the water.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

It's in white plastic bottles and called A and B...you need both of them to mix with the water.

Those A and B nutrients I see all over the place in Thailand are if I am not mistaken mainly for leafy greens, not really for flower or fruit plants.

Additionally after reading quite a bit it seems that those A and B fertilisers are far from being reliable when it comes to quality.

Please correct me if I am wrong.