Growing "aji dulce" or sweet pepper in Bangkok

Polanskiman

Hello,

I brought back some sweet peppers or "aji dulce" (that's how they called it) seeds from Venezuela. I planted them and they have been growing happily for the past 4 weeks.

I want to experiment with hydroponic (Kratky method) and wish to move just a few plants to hydroponics. I want to make this as simple as possible because I really don't have much space or the money so I will be buying a few 5 gallon buckets and some net cups, nutrients and a ph tester. That is it.

This said can anyone provide some advise of where I could find the proper nutriments and also if possible provide the adequate mix proportions?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thank you.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, CLW said:

I would say Wesco Chemicals in Bangkok could be helpful for your purpose.
I think they can suggest you the correct nutrients for your peppers.
Let's wait what others think about it.

IIrc i have been searching for that Wesco, the gps lead me into a sub to a building where they had never heard of that company....

So make sure you get the right address....better go to the gardencenters to buy it..

I dont think you could use Kratky for peppers due to the uptake requirements of peppers, better to use buckets and drippers. I buy all my stuff from these guys http://www.higreenshop.com/ much cheaper than others for the same products. Amazingly https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-soils-fertilisers-and-mulches/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.breadcrumb.3.588e7ff65ev0rw Lazada is selling lots of good ferts and things with decent prices and some things that are hard to source elsewhere.

IIrc i have been searching for that Wesco, the gps lead me into a sub to a building where they had never heard of that company....

So make sure you get the right address....better go to the gardencenters to buy it..
Wesco also delivers by post and can speak some basic English if you call them.

3 hours ago, Notagain said:

I dont think you could use Kratky for peppers due to the uptake requirements of peppers, better to use buckets and drippers. I buy all my stuff from these guys http://www.higreenshop.com/ much cheaper than others for the same products. Amazingly https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-soils-fertilisers-and-mulches/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.breadcrumb.3.588e7ff65ev0rw Lazada is selling lots of good ferts and things with decent prices and some things that are hard to source elsewhere.

Thanks. Dripper seems a bit more advanced and would require more maintenance. I saw these videos on youtube: 

Wouldn’t that be possible?

Thanks for the links.

NIce video but where is the end result ? My understanding of the kratky system is basically its for short term 30-60  growth product due to the sacrificial nutrient solution design. I mean maybe to grow a good pepper plant you could use a large drum of some kind, but one things for sure it would be drinking up the solution which I dont think you can replenish during growth. I may be wrong though. 

Here is the end result:

But clearly the guy is growing them under artificial lighting.

I also want to clarify one thing. I don’t want to grow bell pepper but sweet pepper also known as cachucha pepper. They are not the same and usually they are smaller plants.

Anyway I am not an expert in this so if you guys think it is not a good idea then I might have to reconsider.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:49 AM, Polanskiman said:

Anyone?

Go to thonburi market and see the plant department. or buy it online...chatuchak market on wednesday also has a lot...or just build something out of buckets.

I think it's sure possible to grow peppers, i had a paprika on my balcony producing fruit but it only got 2 hours sun a day...

Go to thonburi market and see the plant department. or buy it online...chatuchak market on wednesday also has a lot...or just build something out of buckets.

I think it's sure possible to grow peppers, i had a paprika on my balcony producing fruit but it only got 2 hours sun a day...

Thanks but the question was about finding the General Hydroponics nutrients specifically. I actually found them but they are outrageously expensive here:

http://www.ledgrowing-plants.com/category/49/nutrients-สารอาหารพืช/general-hydroponics

36 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Thanks but the question was about finding the General Hydroponics nutrients specifically. I actually found them but they are outrageously expensive here:

http://www.ledgrowing-plants.com/category/49/nutrients-สารอาหารพืช/general-hydroponics

It's in white plastic bottles and called A and B...you need both of them to mix with the water.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

It's in white plastic bottles and called A and B...you need both of them to mix with the water.

Those A and B nutrients I see all over the place in Thailand are if I am not mistaken mainly for leafy greens, not really for flower or fruit plants.

Additionally after reading quite a bit it seems that those A and B fertilisers are far from being reliable when it comes to quality.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

19 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Those A and B nutrients I see all over the place in Thailand are if I am not mistaken mainly for leafy greens, not really for flower or fruit plants.

Additionally after reading quite a bit it seems that those A and B fertilisers are far from being reliable when it comes to quality.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You better read all the threads about hydroponics on this forum, there's so much info and also products from Holland i read, those should be good.

You better try something first so you can change/improve it later...growing paprika's in thailand is not easy.

Well anything imported here is expensive thats why after being here awhile you learn to find substitute local items that are as close to what you are looking for as possible then live with the results.  Yes those bottled a-b mixes are mostly for greens and who knows what the nutrients are in them as they usually dont have a list of whats in them. You need to google/youtube hydro-fert mixing info, it s not hard to make your own. then buy your separate nutrients, a digital scale, PH and TDS/EC meter and save some money. Here is a good mix calculator https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/hydrobuddy-v1-60-a-new-update-with-important-changes.html

7 hours ago, Thian said:

growing paprika's in thailand is not easy.

Not interested in growing greens. I prefer to have some challenge. 

Obviously I am not relying only on this thread for information. I have spend several weeks looking at forums, websites, youtube videos and talking to professional agronomists who know what they are talking about but it is always good to have different opinions.

4 hours ago, Notagain said:

Well anything imported here is expensive thats why after being here awhile you learn to find substitute local items that are as close to what you are looking for as possible then live with the results.  Yes those bottled a-b mixes are mostly for greens and who knows what the nutrients are in them as they usually dont have a list of whats in them. You need to google/youtube hydro-fert mixing info, it s not hard to make your own. then buy your separate nutrients, a digital scale, PH and TDS/EC meter and save some money. Here is a good mix calculator https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/hydrobuddy-v1-60-a-new-update-with-important-changes.html

Indeed. I have been living here over 15 years so aware of the substitute thing. I just like to go for what is known to work first then I fall back to substitutes if the former is not possible or over priced.

Obviously I am not relying only on this thread for information. I have spend several weeks reading forums and websites and watching youtube videos and talking to professional agronomists who know what they are talking about but it is always good to have different opinions. This said most youtube videos are made by westerners living in Europe or USA or elsewhere and thus they are using local products which obviously are hard to find here. Even the masterblend recipe involves masterblend products which I haven't been able to find here at least for the fertilizer 4-18-38 part. The others 2 like magnesium sulfate and calcium nitrate can be sources here easily.

I already have my ph meter but will probably get an EC meter as well.

Thanks for the link. I had already tried that calculator in the past but honestly it seemed a bit too complex for what I am aiming for and for some reason the last version did not allow me to import some external data. Will give it another try see how that goes.

It might worth trying to use their products or contact this company: Haifa Thailand, which is a subsidiary of Haifa Israel.
They should have the correct formulation for your peppers.
Again, their products are sold also via WESCO Chemicals.

Well masterblend wont come cheap here so here are a couple of very similar products.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10-20-30te-1-i169905297-s211591182.html?search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/7-13-34zn-1-i221631174-s338178089.html?search=1

The difference in npk amounts will not be seen in your plant. Unless wesco-yara-haifa have something to match masterblend I dont think you will find anyone who will make custom nutrient batches unless buying very large amounts. Being terrible in math even I with the help of the almighty net have figured out how to make basic nutrient recipes since living in thailand.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, Notagain said:

Well masterblend wont come cheap here so here are a couple of very similar products.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10-20-30te-1-i169905297-s211591182.html?search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/7-13-34zn-1-i221631174-s338178089.html?search=1

The difference in npk amounts will not be seen in your plant. Unless wesco-yara-haifa have something to match masterblend I dont think you will find anyone who will make custom nutrient batches unless buying very large amounts. Being terrible in math even I with the help of the almighty net have figured out how to make basic nutrient recipes since living in thailand.

Thanks for that. Didn't know that the npk amounts didn't matter that much or at least allow some wiggle room.

Care to share some of those recipes and for what you are using them for?

On 9/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, CLW said:

It might worth trying to use their products or contact this company: Haifa Thailand, which is a subsidiary of Haifa Israel.
They should have the correct formulation for your peppers.
Again, their products are sold also via WESCO Chemicals.

Thanks again. I will contact WASCO and ask about that.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, Polanskiman said:

Thanks again. I will contact WASCO and ask about that.

Hello All, WESCO tends to sell "bulk materials". There are several threads that have

all the Co's that sell nute's.  ACK in the Ah Nut area, Fresh Gardens is 1 stop past

The Emporium on the BTS, Accent from OZ(down under) has a garden/store E. of

Don Mung(old airport) and are the only place that has a good web catalog. 

I make my own from WESCO's chems, the micro's come by the Kg. All the other chem's

come by the 25Kg. bag. I use a 3 part for grow and 4 part bloom/fruit. A & B, Cis the

micro's and D,(potassium sulphate) bloom/fruit   

ACK is where I first got tomato/chili nuts, it was a 10L. kit A/B that made 10L of A and

10L of B. These are dry chem kits, not bottles of mostly water thats $$ to ship.

If you want to use lights to grow, check out LEDGardener for DIY lights with Bridgelux

or Samsung led strips. The best white strips for peppers is 35K.

I grow run to waste in coir, only use a fish tank pH test kit Bt.110. and a 16 YO Accent

EC meter.

pic 1. Micros from WESCO.

pic 2. 5bags of coir I just treated with calcium nitrate with EC 2.0 for 24 hours.

pic 3 & 4. some of the chilies I've grown here in Korat.

pic 5. Homestead OP and Blackseaman OP toms to be transplanted.

rice555

2014-09-05-11532.jpg

treated coir.png

14782.2 copy 2.png

2014-01-20-7016 copy 2.jpg

IMG_20180909_134828104.jpg

The small bottle in the pic 1 is 100g. of Moly, the round one below is

500g. of solubor.

If you go to WESCO's www. the have a page for hydro and list most

of the the things they sale. They have DTPA, EDTA and Fe. sulphate

The 2 white bags are Mn. and Zn.

I just tried to go to www.wesco.co.th and couldn't get to to the site,

have they changed their name or location? I checked through google

and "can't find sever" is all I get. Check the latest Thai Ag Magazine

and their add is same as before,  www.wesco.co.th .    I was going to

order some Mn, Cu and Fe from them, I'm getting low.

rice555

3 hours ago, rice555 said:

The small bottle in the pic 1 is 100g. of Moly, the round one below is

500g. of solubor.

If you go to WESCO's www. the have a page for hydro and list most

of the the things they sale. They have DTPA, EDTA and Fe. sulphate

The 2 white bags are Mn. and Zn.

I just tried to go to www.wesco.co.th and couldn't get to to the site,

have they changed their name or location? I checked through google

and "can't find sever" is all I get. Check the latest Thai Ag Magazine

and their add is same as before,  www.wesco.co.th .    I was going to

order some Mn, Cu and Fe from them, I'm getting low.

rice555

Yup the website is down, sooo thai..

But i found a micromix for fruittree's, it has all micro's mixed and for around 4-500 a kg i'm happy with it. Bought it on chatuchak market close to JJ-mall...i guess this shop is open every day and the owner speaks fluent english. Also he has many quality products the other shops don't have.

4 years ago i bought several micro's from a thai brand that i forgot, 500 baht for a small bottle chelated micro but the liquid become white and solid within a year. I can't mix it anymore so don't buy those.

Always go for european or japanese brands.

Just came to my mind, depending on how many plants the OP wants to grow but there are small green packets of micronutrients from Sotus brand available in many DIY markets and garden stores.
It's one 60 Baht or something per packet.

Hello All, this is what I used with my DIY note's, bottom half

of the first pic. This the formulas that WESCO handed out.

The other pic's are the micros in both the green and tom/chili

formula. I now use the formula that Scoop 1 gave me here on TVFF.

Another place that at one time listed as having micros was the

place that sells the DWC systems, Bangsai, out on the E side of BBK.

The Nic Spray comes 50g. and 1Kg.

rice555

2014-09-09-11605.jpg

Nic-Spray.png

b2.jpg

xj.jpg

Archived