Growing "aji dulce" or sweet pepper in Bangkok

Polanskiman

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All, OP, have you found the nute's that you were looking for?

I went back and looked at the Flora-Nova link, that price is OTT!

I could buy 25Kg bag of calcium nitrate, + 25Kg bag potassium nitrate

and either a 25 Kg bag of mag-sulphate or all the micros in the pic

I posted. Then you only need a bag of MKP and a bag of potassium

sulphate for the bloom formula.

I didn't know if you had tried Accent www, but they listed a grow and

bloom liquid( if blooms it's not salad ). One important thing about the

Accent nutes, see first pic! You won't see that on the Lazada.

http://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com 

I'm don't have a lot of plants now, so I'm only 5L each of A, B, C, and D.

Takes about 1L of a, b, c for grow or 1L a, b, c, d for bloom to fill a blue

wide mouth barrel, + water to get the EC I work with chilies and toms.

The chili pic are the differences you get with white light, 30K and 50K.

rice555

rice555 272038265_AccentFloweringnutes.png.0e854ee86e0f0a40e6b9110171494ece.png2035597229_AccentBKK.thumb.png.b111d15c5754934ca81fa0de7373dd6d.png

A B C D.jpg

DSC07525-1-2.jpg

Hello All, I @ the guy at WESCO that I dealt with for the past 16 years

and got a reply, see below.

He didn't say anything about their www.

Here's the WESCO map and a screen shot of their old www. on hydro supplies

they sell.(did at one time)

A page from a Thai Ag Mag on their water soluble fertilizers blends, some with

TE's. Some come in 1Kg bags, mostly 25Kg bags.

rice555

I don't do FB or the like, maybe they are on FB??  

WESCO @.png

DSC_0329.JPG

wesco %'s.png

post-37242-0-43965600-1395909121.png

On 9/25/2018 at 9:39 PM, rice555 said:

Hello All, WESCO tends to sell "bulk materials". There are several threads that have

all the Co's that sell nute's.  ACK in the Ah Nut area, Fresh Gardens is 1 stop past

The Emporium on the BTS, Accent from OZ(down under) has a garden/store E. of

Don Mung(old airport) and are the only place that has a good web catalog. 

I make my own from WESCO's chems, the micro's come by the Kg. All the other chem's

come by the 25Kg. bag. I use a 3 part for grow and 4 part bloom/fruit. A & B, Cis the

micro's and D,(potassium sulphate) bloom/fruit   

ACK is where I first got tomato/chili nuts, it was a 10L. kit A/B that made 10L of A and

10L of B. These are dry chem kits, not bottles of mostly water thats $$ to ship.

If you want to use lights to grow, check out LEDGardener for DIY lights with Bridgelux

or Samsung led strips. The best white strips for peppers is 35K.

I grow run to waste in coir, only use a fish tank pH test kit Bt.110. and a 16 YO Accent

EC meter.

pic 1. Micros from WESCO.

pic 2. 5bags of coir I just treated with calcium nitrate with EC 2.0 for 24 hours.

pic 3 & 4. some of the chilies I've grown here in Korat.

pic 5. Homestead OP and Blackseaman OP toms to be transplanted.

rice555

Thanks a lot. I cannot be buying nutrients in bulk. I really dont have that much space to store 25kg bags of nutrients. Maybe the ACK is a good choice. But looking how things are turning for me I might be forced to grow my plants in soil instead of hydro. Would those nutrients from ACK also work with soil?

On 9/26/2018 at 1:41 PM, rice555 said:

Hello All, this is what I used with my DIY note's, bottom half

of the first pic. This the formulas that WESCO handed out.

The other pic's are the micros in both the green and tom/chili

formula. I now use the formula that Scoop 1 gave me here on TVFF.

Another place that at one time listed as having micros was the

place that sells the DWC systems, Bangsai, out on the E side of BBK.

The Nic Spray comes 50g. and 1Kg.

rice555

would that formula be applicable for soil growing ?

On 10/5/2018 at 9:40 PM, rice555 said:

Hello All, OP, have you found the nute's that you were looking for?

I went back and looked at the Flora-Nova link, that price is OTT!

I could buy 25Kg bag of calcium nitrate, + 25Kg bag potassium nitrate

and either a 25 Kg bag of mag-sulphate or all the micros in the pic

I posted. Then you only need a bag of MKP and a bag of potassium

sulphate for the bloom formula.

I didn't know if you had tried Accent www, but they listed a grow and

bloom liquid( if blooms it's not salad ). One important thing about the

Accent nutes, see first pic! You won't see that on the Lazada.

http://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com

I'm don't have a lot of plants now, so I'm only 5L each of A, B, C, and D.

Takes about 1L of a, b, c for grow or 1L a, b, c, d for bloom to fill a blue

wide mouth barrel, + water to get the EC I work with chilies and toms.

The chili pic are the differences you get with white light, 30K and 50K.

rice555

Not yet. Things have not turned as I expected and I still have my peppers growing on a rectangular pot that I need to transplant ASAP else I'll lose them all. By the way I will give away a few as I clearly have too many so If you are interested please let me know.

IMG_9150.thumb.JPG.e66b37ec084e1b28be2f12fd79973480.JPG

What would you guys say if I used this nutrients for my peppers:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5-1-i101157753-s101300985.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.423637e9kkDigK&search=1

Would this be enough for the full cycle in soil? If not what other nutrients would I need for the bloom stage?

Would I need micros as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

52 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

What would you guys say if I used this nutrients for my peppers:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5-1-i101157753-s101300985.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.423637e9kkDigK&search=1

Would this be enough for the full cycle in soil? If not what other nutrients would I need for the bloom stage?

Would I need micros as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

You can buy what's in your link at any garden shop or even at Lotus

for under Bt.100 a Kg.    Just look for the blue colored fertilizer.

Use Nicspray from WESCO. I use to buy it at JJ Market, BKK.

rice555

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Notagain said:

Most likely some nutrient deficiency, what are you feeding them and how often ?  

No nutrients so far. Water and sun. Was getting my thought straight on the nutrients first and I think I have it figure it out now. Will give them some nutrients soon when I finish preparing all my concentrates.

Thats your problem, you cant container grow anything without nutrients as everything washes out when you water them. Just dont get anything with a high nitrogen content as they will grow too fast. Personally I would get some nicspray and foilar spray feed them like real quick. http://www.higreenshop.com/product/199/จุลธาตุ-นิคสเปรย์-500-กรัม

Some time release nutrient like osmocote and nicspray foilar would be a good combo for them.

24 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Thats your problem, you cant container grow anything without nutrients as everything washes out when you water them. Just dont get anything with a high nitrogen content as they will grow too fast. Personally I would get some nicspray and foilar spray feed them like real quick. http://www.higreenshop.com/product/199/จุลธาตุ-นิคสเปรย์-500-กรัม

Some time release nutrient like osmocote and nicspray foilar would be a good combo for them.

Got the nicspray already. Will use that in the meantime. Not sure what you consider to be high nitrogen content in the osmocote. I see there are many different variants but most with equivalent npk numbers.

Why wash out? There are several hydroponic or substrate culture systems and that one of the OP just needs watering shortly before there's any runoff from the bottom of the pot.

He is not doing hydroponics, maybe you are thinking about a run to waste system(fertigation) but even then the nutrients must be constantly replenished. Growing in soil in containers or even coir-perlite etc. if you are not watering enough to get good drainage/runoff you will have a buildup of nutrient salts killing your plants. In a true hydroponic system whether it is NFT, DRFT, etc. using rockwool, perlite, foam etc as your growing media . the nutrient solution is constantly recycled and replenished and ph-nutrient tested for optimum growth. If he is not getting drainage his plants will be in trouble fast.

I dont think you would have much luck moving to a kratky system, you really need to start and finish the plant using his system. But you should go to large containers and use a mix of coir/perlite/vermiculite instead of soil to create a much better plant/root growth system which will give you much better control over nutrient levels and ph adjustments. A dripper/fertigation system would be ideal for what you are wanting to do. Container growing can be very successful if done correctly.

He is not doing hydroponics, maybe you are thinking about a run to waste system(fertigation) but even then the nutrients must be constantly replenished. Growing in soil in containers or even coir-perlite etc. if you are not watering enough to get good drainage/runoff you will have a buildup of nutrient salts killing your plants. In a true hydroponic system whether it is NFT, DRFT, etc. using rockwool, perlite, foam etc as your growing media . the nutrient solution is constantly recycled and replenished and ph-nutrient tested for optimum growth. If he is not getting drainage his plants will be in trouble fast.
Here is some information about the salt contents of each fertiliser.

http://bulletin.ipm.illinois.edu/print.php?id=1305

But isn't substrate culture widely used for melons, peppers etc and they are growing in the same substrate the whole life cycle.
Assuming that you use the correct fertiliser for substrate and not for real soil culture there shouldn't be any problems.

I dont think you would have much luck moving to a kratky system, you really need to start and finish the plant using his system. But you should go to large containers and use a mix of coir/perlite/vermiculite instead of soil to create a much better plant/root growth system which will give you much better control over nutrient levels and ph adjustments. A dripper/fertigation system would be ideal for what you are wanting to do. Container growing can be very successful if done correctly.

Will not go into a dripping system. Too much headache and setup to go through. A selfwatering system is way easier and still can provides good result if I am not mistaken.

22 minutes ago, CLW said:

But isn't substrate culture widely used

Im not sure what you mean by this, using a sterile substrate such as rockwool, perlite, coir etc. in hydroponics is a continuous recycle of nutrient solution being passed thru the substrate of the plant being grown in it. This solution has to be constantly monitored and adjusted as the plants uptake what they need to grow depleting the nutrients at various rates due to many factors. You cant just dump nutrients in there without knowing what the plant is taking up. Thats why a ph of 5.5 - 6.5 is so important in hydro as the plant can not use the nutrient efficiently outside this range and will not grow. Too many people think you just mix up some nutrients recirculate them thru the system and expect to get results, it aint that easy. Im helping a thai guy right now with a very large NFT setup, basically having to do a total rebuild due his inexperience and lack of knowledge, although he is learning and has an open mind. The sad thing is he basically has thrown away a lot of money as NFT isnt very good in a tropical environment due to the heat. He would have been better off with a floating raft deep water system which due to the large mass of water involved keeps temps lower in the growth system thus plants will produce much higher yields, it was developed specifically for tropical enviroments.

Im not sure what you mean by this, using a sterile substrate such as rockwool, perlite, coir etc. in hydroponics is a continuous recycle of nutrient solution being passed thru the substrate of the plant being grown in it. This solution has to be constantly monitored and adjusted as the plants uptake what they need to grow depleting the nutrients at various rates due to many factors. You cant just dump nutrients in there without knowing what the plant is taking up. Thats why a ph of 5.5 - 6.5 is so important in hydro as the plant can not use the nutrient efficiently outside this range and will not grow. Too many people think you just mix up some nutrients recirculate them thru the system and expect to get results, it aint that easy. Im helping a thai guy right now with a very large NFT setup, basically having to do a total rebuild due his inexperience and lack of knowledge, although he is learning and has an open mind. The sad thing is he basically has thrown away a lot of money as NFT isnt very good in a tropical environment due to the heat. He would have been better off with a floating raft deep water system which due to the large mass of water involved keeps temps lower in the growth system thus plants will produce much higher yields, it was developed specifically for tropical enviroments.
Sorry I was thinking about soil based pot culture systems.

What type of self watering system/container are you planning to use ? Some grow media will dry out faster than others also. Rockwool is my favorite but hard to source here in thailand at a decent price, coir mixed with perlite will give you good aeration plus good water retention. Stay away from foam based products as it likes to form algae very quickly.

What type of self watering system/container are you planning to use ? Some grow media will dry out faster than others also. Rockwool is my favorite but hard to source here in thailand at a decent price, coir mixed with perlite will give you good aeration plus good water retention. Stay away from foam based products as it likes to form algae very quickly.

I was thinking of a 5 gallon water bucket. Something like this:

Def. looks like something worth a try. I have never used any self watering containers myself, im wondering as you scale up in container size how effective the wicking would be in the heat here in thailand, would evaporation be a problem ? as in not enough solution getting to all the root system causing dead spots/decay which would affect your plant growth. But again I have never used this system. Doing some more research on google on container size versus plant types/growth rates with self watering systems might be a good idea.

Usually in selfwatering systems the top of the substrate is covered to avoid/limit rate of evaporation. Most selfwatering systems I have seen on internet are basically the same with some small variants but the principal remains the same.
Here in Thailand I wouldn't bother with self-watering systems given you have water and electricity available, which is in your case I guess.
A timer valve just costs about 500 Baht and the pipes and drip irrigation parts not much more.
Other option is a timed switch and a aquarium pump if you want to fertigate your plants.

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

Here in Thailand I wouldn't bother with self-watering systems given you have water and electricity available, which is in your case I guess.
A timer valve just costs about 500 Baht and the pipes and drip irrigation parts not much more.
Other option is a timed switch and a aquarium pump if you want to fertigate your plants.

I feel you. However a dripping system involves:

- a pump (= additional electricity, granted not that much, still).
- pipping and drip irrigation hardware
- external nutrients container (adding additional space)

Let's say the pump brakes down. Things go sour quick.

Let's say there is a mis-connection in the piping and water doesn't reach the plant. Things go sour quick.

You see what I mean. So many ways for things to go wrong.

I know all these systems (dwc, bubbleponics, rdwc, you name it) are way more efficient and greatly improve productivity of the plant but they require more attention and are way less forgiving because the plant is basically bare naked when no water and nutrients are flowing. Being in a substrate at least creates a buffer where the plant can survive longer in case of water or nutrient issues. I am not going to sell what I produce and considering the minuscule amount of plants I have I don't see much the point. At least the kratky method was simple and straight forward but it does require care.

I do want to do some hydroponics and why not dripping but unless someone can tell me it is cheap, easy to do and care, requires no more space than a self watering system or even kratky, is more flexible and does not make be worried about the plant night and day then I am all ears ???? 

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Is it something like this you were referring to? At least this has the benefit of being self contained thus not requiring an secondary tank for nutrients.

waterfarm.jpg

Archived