3-wheeled motorbike

gingerandtabby

A recent shove from a truck resulting in a broken leg has convinced me to finally let go of my beloved Mio. I can't bear the thought of being in traffic in my elderly car -, so will explore the 3 wheeled options. I have seen  quite a few roaming the streets of C.M. Where can I get one of those beauties? A used one would be ideal.

They came in a big sales campaign that ended in a whimper (2 wheels in front)....

See one about every 4 months or so....

There's got to be some around, but probably only a few.....Maybe some old new stock left?

To me they don't look very stable or turn worthy at speed - also not sure about rutted road & pot hole handling but I'm sure there's a learning curve there.....One that I did see had a hard time maneuvering in the traffic light "pack" due to it's width....But again, a learning curve....

' the 3 wheeled options ' - some have 2 wheels in front, some two wheels in the back.

Recently I noticed a small shop with electric tri-bikes. Interesting. I'll attach pictures

(Google Maps). Perhaps they might help you.

Btw, Makro had those vehicles some years ago, electric and normal.

(to the pics: you'll  find the shop driving from the south eastern corner of the Moat

about 50m to the east. It's on the right side of the street.)

CM  Shop.png

CM  Shop-Road.png

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commuter/tricity-155/overview

I had a look at these when they first came out.

Said to be more stable under heavy breaking on a wet surface.

The Italian Piaggio bikes have their front forks stay 'Ridged' when stationary unlike the Yamaha where front forks still have 'Give' in them.

2 wheels at the front should be more stable then 2 at the rear.

john

8 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Bought this at Big C about 2 months back. Electric 34K Company that sells these is called L&P they are out of Bangkok. I drive it on concrete, asphalt and dirt roads. No issue.

https://www.facebook.com/lpmonkeyshop/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdxwhHUT7ZFiXK0OUv9PsVuFqVr6lx_GI27J6iDJaJ4bbA%3AAdxs8H45v9XQsd_XO4pRd-ZaDS1v7cRSkTwU6EGiLM_AUA

image.png.28fefa6a4d0460a6b71656ce8ec6a431.png

Is that not a mobility scooter?

How quick around town are they? Speeds, Keeping up with traffic etc

My guess is that there may be greater risk if not travelling with the flow of traffic.

What is it like on corners? 

If you mean modified bikes with 3 wheels, Pattaya has a shop, owned by an Australian engineer who modifies any bike you want into a 3 wheel, does a proper job, all balanced and properly made

Name is Ozi moto , guys name is George http://www.ozimoto.com/

Other 3 wheelers is Yamaha tri city, but as already mentioned, its more of a gimmick, it does not stand on all 3 wheels(i have one)

Then the Piaggio, but it will cost around 200 000 baht

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commuter/tricity-155/overview

I had a look at these when they first came out.

Said to be more stable under heavy breaking on a wet surface.

The Italian Piaggio bikes have their front forks stay 'Ridged' when stationary unlike the Yamaha where front forks still have 'Give' in them.

2 wheels at the front should be more stable then 2 at the rear.

john

I have one, not much different to a normal 2 wheel bike, Its just a gimmick

Having owned one for a few years, its heavy and under powered in my opinion.

Service is more expansive than regular bikes, battery cost 10 times more than other bikes, and wheels also cost a fortune

If you are discussing a three wheeled motorcycle that has been modified from a two wheeler, a couple of questions:

Once the bike has been modified etc, where do you take it to be inspected and have the book updated etc?

Assuming that you three wheeler passed the test etc, are you able to legally insure a motorcycle that has been modified to a three wheeled vehicle??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that not a mobility scooter?

How quick around town are they? Speeds, Keeping up with traffic etc

My guess is that there may be greater risk if not travelling with the flow of traffic.

What is it like on corners? 

The 1 in the photo is very similar to mine.

How quick are they you ask, mine has a top speed of 15ks.

Keeping up with traffic, thats a joke, keep out of traffic at all costs.

What are they like on corners? Slow down or your on your a++e.  

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

The 1 in the photo is very similar to mine.

How quick are they you ask, mine has a top speed of 15ks.

Keeping up with traffic, thats a joke, keep out of traffic at all costs.

What are they like on corners? Slow down or your on your a++e.  

Thanks Colin..   "Keep out of traffic at all costs" pretty much says it all... These are mobility scooters then. Great for offering some independence and freedom of mobility to those in need and must be a huge psychological bonus to someone otherwise stuck. 

The Op may need to offer more clarity on his requirements:  i.e. A Trike... such as a larger motorcycle modified with two rear wheels - Can't really fall off it, but can't beat the traffic either, in effect its as useful as a car without storage space.... But I can see the appeal. 

Tri-City: Already mentioned, by myself and others: Can go between queueing traffic like other bikes. But as one poster mentioned, it can and will fall over (it won't stand up on its own on the wheels). The 155cc version is not underpowered compared to 'other scooters'. It is slightly heavier at the front due to the two front wheels which offer greater grip and safety, the ABS adds much  more safety. 

If the Op is worried about falling off a bike. The only thing he can't fall off is a car... A trike would be the next best option, followed by the Piaggio (about THB 500,000 new), then the Yamaha Tri-City (THB 98,000 new)... 

There are also a couple more options... The Yamaha Niken... Honda are making the Neowing (which looks awesome, but is not yet out) and then there are such things as the Polaris Slingshot but I've only ever seen these at the Motorshow and imagine them to be prohibitively expensive (but potentially great fun).

And finally... no one has mentioned it yet... Tuk Tuk... which initially seems like a daft suggestion, but makes sense if the Op really doesn't want a car or a bike he could fall off and is not willing to go the full trike route.

.... OR... Side Car.... 

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Tri City appears to me to be an up & down bike = more suited for town type driving.....

I wouldn't want to try one to Pai & it seems by design that it would get squirrelly if you leaned in too far at speed or emergency, unexpected maneuvering....Pot holes found at the wrong time into a turn also seems like a realistic crash scenario.....

9 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The Tri City appears to me to be an up & down bike = more suited for town type driving.....

I wouldn't want to try one to Pai & it seems by design that it would get squirrelly if you leaned in too far at speed or emergency, unexpected maneuvering....Pot holes found at the wrong time into a turn also seems like a realistic crash scenario.....

Its definitely a town / city bike...   like any scooter, it doesn't offer much for the hilly twisty fun roads. 

Pot holes found at the wrong time into a turn on any bike is a realistic crash scenario... You're better off on the Tricity... one of the front wheels will miss the pothole, the other will 'ride' the pothole without the full weight of the front end. Of course, this depends on the size of the pot-hole. 

I ride over uneven surfaces all the time... i.e. 'around' speed bumps where one of the front wheels will go over the speed bump, the other doesn't.. or horribly laid drains. For the most part the front suspension and wheels takes care of it..  That said, single wheels may be able to avoid the bump / pot hole all-together, but not always... and when you hit one I'd rather have the two front wheels.

Leaning at speed...  Nope, it doesn't offer much more than any other scooter (other than more front end grip). But, it leans and handles corners well, better than all other scooters... I just wouldn't lean any scooter in at speed.

There is no mistaking the Tricity for a Motorbike... Its a scooter and like all other scooters, they are designed for simple convenience and local mobility, not long hilly out of city / town rides. 

12 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

So just what is the OP, gingerandtabby, looking for?   He made the original post, and hasn't commented since.  There are countless considerations when it comes to the myriad 3-wheeled vehicles, as can be seen in the posts above.  Do any of the comments help the OP?

If the Op can't be bothered to come back and check his own thread thats up to him... he may have his reason, or he may just be self centered and not care to thank anyone for their input - it doesn't really matter. 

The thread is still handy for many reading who may wish to know or simply be interested in what other options there are out there and the experiences others have with those options. 

If someone gets one of those Yamaha Nikens, I want to read about it !

Gentlemen (and ladies?) Thanks so much for your input I tried a Yamaha Tricity once and hated the feel of it. I had in mind the one that Khwabah showed. Love the modern lines of pgrahmm showed. Doubt if I could afford it even if it was in Thailand... I still have time to think about and do more research while my old bone puts itself together. Thank you again.

Archived