Learner Driver Insurance

wgdanson

22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My understanding is that its the vehicle thats covered not whose driving it.

However as an "unqualified driver" I would ask you Ins company directly.

You can choose if 'any driver' or one specific driver is covered.

It's a black hole isn't it? Technically, only those who have a valid drivers license are allowed to drive. The Motor policy has the following relevant clauses;

2. Definition Unless otherwise specified in this Policy, when used in this Policy or endorsement:  “Insured” means the person shown as the Insured in the Schedule; “

Coverage specific to the vehicle itself - Physical damage. (i.e. your daughter  drives into a wall.)

9. Other exclusions This insurance also does not cover:

9.4 Driving of the Motor Vehicle by any person who has not been granted a valid driver’s license, or had been granted a valid driving license but was barred from using the driving license, or being granted a driver’s license for motorbikes but uses such license for driving of the Motor Vehicle. The exclusions as stated in 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.4 do not apply in the event the damage of the Motor Vehicle is not due to the negligence of the driver of the Motor Vehicle under this Policy. However, in the event the Policy specifies a named driver, the exclusion in 9.4 does not apply if the driver at the time of the accident is the same person as specified in the Schedule.

The above means that unless the driver has a license, the vehicle won't be covered for the physical damage the driver is responsible for. If another driver is responsible, the policy responds.

I suggest that you declare the change in material fact to the insurer. Do it in writing, providing name, age, sex date of birth and license  number. If you fax you can get a receipt. The policy can be endorsed/amended to cover the   daughter while learning when you are in the vehicle.

If a person does not have a license it is legal for them to drive if accompanied by a person who has held a license to drive that class of vehicle for at least three years and there are no other persons in the vehicle.

That is being legal to be on the road. Whether you are also fully covered under your insurance policy depends on their small print.

The only sure way (unless specifically allowed in the policy terms) is to get the ok in writing, on company letterhead, from the insurance company (not just broker or agent).

On 9/15/2018 at 11:18 AM, ThaidDown said:

If a person does not have a license it is legal for them to drive if accompanied by a person who has held a license to drive that class of vehicle for at least three years and there are no other persons in the vehicle.

I have never heard of this, nor can I find a reference to this online. Where did you get this information from?

9 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I have never heard of this, nor can I find a reference to this online. Where did you get this information from?

Motor Vehicle Act Section 57.

Section 57
When practicing to drive a motor vehicle, the learner must be under the instruction of a driver who has had the license for that vehicle for at least 3 years.

During the driving lesson, no other person than the learner and the instructor may stay in the vehicle.

The instructor is responsible for any damage or accident during a lesson, unless it is proved that the learner refused to obey his instruction.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:17 AM, geriatrickid said:

It's a black hole isn't it? Technically, only those who have a valid drivers license are allowed to drive. The Motor policy has the following relevant clauses;

2. Definition Unless otherwise specified in this Policy, when used in this Policy or endorsement:  “Insured” means the person shown as the Insured in the Schedule; “

Coverage specific to the vehicle itself - Physical damage. (i.e. your daughter  drives into a wall.)

9. Other exclusions This insurance also does not cover:

9.4 Driving of the Motor Vehicle by any person who has not been granted a valid driver’s license, or had been granted a valid driving license but was barred from using the driving license, or being granted a driver’s license for motorbikes but uses such license for driving of the Motor Vehicle. The exclusions as stated in 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.4 do not apply in the event the damage of the Motor Vehicle is not due to the negligence of the driver of the Motor Vehicle under this Policy. However, in the event the Policy specifies a named driver, the exclusion in 9.4 does not apply if the driver at the time of the accident is the same person as specified in the Schedule.

The above means that unless the driver has a license, the vehicle won't be covered for the physical damage the driver is responsible for. If another driver is responsible, the policy responds.

I suggest that you declare the change in material fact to the insurer. Do it in writing, providing name, age, sex date of birth and license  number. If you fax you can get a receipt. The policy can be endorsed/amended to cover the   daughter while learning when you are in the vehicle.

There will in most policies be an additional clause, allowing learners to drive with teacher (can be anybody) sitting on the left side.

Archived