Tourist police focus on all 1,400 Nigerians after five arrested over scams

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Many racial profiling is going on here.My French mate said "most of the flags here are ignorant British mainly English " he went further to describe those racists to be victims of the class system that exists in the UK but as some say "unseen".

Now am totally confused ?

"...most of the flags here are ignorant British mainly English " ?????????

But a lot more ?? and??

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, sweatalot said:

... about time, but - are those illegals who entered without passing by immigration included in the 1400?

May be those being here legally are not the ones they really look for

So how do you think they came in, if not passing through immigration? Crossing the Cinnomon mountains with Cambodia on foot? Being airdropped from nigerian cargoplanes?

If not involved in scams or drugs, the Thai police will still have a field day checking up on visa's . .

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

On what are you basing your figures?

Give proof or sod off.

What jobs are available for the VAST MAJORITY of Nigerians in Thailand?.....Teach English? Nope ,Nigerian restaurants? Nope,Nigerian tour guides? Nope, How many Nigerian beer bar owners have you seen?

They can not take Thai jobs like operating food carts so thats out..

Do they all work in the computer field? Are they all independently wealthy?......... 

Please tell us exactly how they support themselves..

23 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Surachet said singling out the entirety of one nationality for police attention was needed after . . . We realized they’re pretty much all thieving xxxxs

21 hours ago, clarky cat said:

Good.

90% of them living or visiting here are 'up to no good', possibly 100%

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

I've heard that there are a couple of honest ones in Thailand,  working at legitimate jobs.  However, I have not encountered them. 

Neither have I, but I'll keep looking.

The Thai cops are doing what they should have done a long time ago.

Keep the pressure on until they find another country to do their dirty business in.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Surachet said singling out the entirety of one nationality for police attention was needed after “many Nigerians” were found to be taking part in romance scams deceiving Thai women. He said five Nigerians had been arrested in romance scams.

Still a racist approach to the matter. The shoe is usually on the other foot, plenty of gigs sending money from overseas to help the poor old buffalo to get those false teeth he has always wanted.

43 minutes ago, Michael Stribling said:

Here come the comments. The utter shame and indignation these people go through is disgusting. I guess generalization saves time. I’ll file the “every Nigerian is a criminal” alongside “Every Thai wife is a mail order bride.”

Sometimes what you guys imagine, is in fact, your imagination. 

Well, it's not very hard to see that the shine is not yet off your apple and that those fake rose tinted glasses are still working for you heh?

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

What jobs are available for the VAST MAJORITY of Nigerians in Thailand?.....Teach English? Nope ,Nigerian restaurants? Nope,Nigerian tour guides? Nope, How many Nigerian beer bar owners have you seen?

Do they all work in the computer field? Are they all independently wealthy?......... 

I think the whole point of the story is that they do, in fact, nearly all work in the computer field (only not as programmers. just scammers, and they use rich, American or European sounding names to scam those lonely ladies.  After all, what self respecting (?) Thai babe would want to be caught with a Ubong or an Olumide?!!!).

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

So how do you think they came in, if not passing through immigration? Crossing the Cinnomon mountains with Cambodia on foot?

Not far off the mark there, judging from this recent thread on the Eastern Thailand forum:-

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

There is one at the bottom of our soi, seen him about 4 times in the past 4 years. In all day with the curtains drawn 24/7 and in the middle of nowhere, not at all suspicious i'm sure

Have you seen his passport or did he tell you he is from Nigeria? What if he is from the USA or the UK?

Perhaps he thinks of you as a pathetic curtain twitcher and is posting that on another forum somewhere....

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

You hit the nail on the head. Thay are all independently, incredibly wealthy.
According to the e-mails I've got over the last 20 years, they have millions,
billions and even brazilliens to give away. ?

6 hours ago, wirat69 said:

0.36% (5 out of 1400).... statistically insignificant..... but the bahts involved are very significant....

Statistically they are 100% correct. The remaining 1395 have not been looked at yet. Just goes to show how people incorrectly quote statistics to manipulate their agenda!

I had to get a Nigerian visa for work and used the Nigerian Embassy in Bkk, I actually found the Embassy to be straightforward but highly bureaucratic with paperwork and a random Nigerian fellow who was in the Embassy himself for something was a real help to me

I had heard all the stereotypes and expected he would want something in return and when I offered to pay for the help he refused so a few of the racial profilers on here are wrong and the Thai propensity for xenophobia masquerading as security is not surprising

By the way that fellow was the only Nigerian who I had conversed with in Thailand so in my case 100% of Nigerians in LoS have been friendly and helpful.....

Long overdue process.

What earthly reason would they want to go to LoS for ? To see Elephants ?

Stampeding herds of wildebeest?

Surf on the beaches ?

Sunbathe !!!

Religion ? Very doubtful I would hazard a guess there is no such thing as an Nigerian Buddhist ?

Here are a few reasons...cheap accommodation, cheap food, an easy access to a reliable IT network to scam, scam and keep on scamming. Back home their police force survives totally on bribary and corruption so well to used to working a similar system.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:47 AM, PremiumLane said:

so source for this then, or the ramblings of a TV poster? 

There was a planeload of convicted and incarcerated Nigerians deported to Nigeria a few years ago. The mass deportation was funded by the Nigerian government who said at the time that more than 90% of Nigerians in Thailand are here for criminal purposes. 

This number was provided by their own government. 

I think this is where the 90% figure originates. 

7 hours ago, The manic said:

In common English usage a nationality can used synonymously with race. So can religion. Pedants come from all backgrounds and are usually boring.

Not being a pedant at all, just based on my experience of Nigerians having worked with many in London (found the women to be OK and the men to be arrogant and compulsive liars.) Different from those in Southern and East Africa who I met when living there.

So in your experience are pedants more boring than gobs heights??

7 hours ago, Michael Stribling said:

Here come the comments. The utter shame and indignation these people go through is disgusting. I guess generalization saves time. I’ll file the “every Nigerian is a criminal” alongside “Every Thai wife is a mail order bride.”

Sometimes what you guys imagine, is in fact, your imagination. 

Not all Nigerians are criminals but most of whom we see here are involved in sex work, pimping or drug dealing.  Apparently Overstay issues and Romance scams are also an issue here. We all know of email scams which seem to originates exclusively from Nigeria. Even in Africa and in the Caribbean Nigerians have a reputation for dishonesty. However the authorities could equally target Russians or Israelis but neither have quite the reputation of Nigerians.  Regarding Nigerian English language teachers - no way. The Thais would not accept them and professional DOS would not employ them due to issues of intonation etc.

18 minutes ago, rott said:

Not being a pedant at all, just based on my experience of Nigerians having worked with many in London (found the women to be OK and the men to be arrogant and compulsive liars.) Different from those in Southern and East Africa who I met when living there.

So in your experience are pedants more boring than gobs heights??

Pedant is a real word but gob height is meaningless. But top marks for trying! I concur regarding the qualities you mention regarding Nigerian men. I also found them to bombastic and prone to being bullies and bullsh!tters. I also find Zulus to be confrontational. 

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Pedant is a real word but gob height is meaningless. But top marks for trying! I concur regarding the qualities you mention regarding Nigerian men. I also found them to bombastic and prone to being bullies and bullsh!tters. I also find Zulus to be confrontational. 

Not being pedantic again but the word was gobs height (the final s was for the plural.)

A zulu tried to stab me once in Durban so I tended to be a bit wary.

Archived