La Vuelta

StreetCowboy

I just saw the profile for today's penultimate stage of La Vuelta.  I'm guessing no-one has told the riders, or there'll be no-one riding at all.  >4,000 m of climbing in less than a 100 km. 

Let's just keep it quiet, and hope Simon Yates doesn't see this post till tomorrow.

4000m climb over less than 100km shouldn't be such a big deal for pro cyclists.  At least once a month, I manage 3500m climb over less than 100km on my entry level 8 speed road bike in the mountains around Chiang Mai, but not at race pace ? 

Some very steep gradients of over 20%.  Riding on flat roads is boring ? 

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

4000m climb over less than 100km shouldn't be such a big deal for pro cyclists.  At least once a month, I manage 3500m climb over less than 100km on my entry level 8 speed road bike in the mountains around Chiang Mai, but not at race pace ? 

I find > 20 m / km marks a hilly ride, but it’s much easier if it’s spread throughout the ride, not all in one lump up.

22 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Well done Sam, enjoy your riding and climbing around CM.

.....and of course you do your 3 Cat1 climbs after 3000+ km in the preceding 3 weeks and 10's of thousands of vertical metres. But not at race pace of course! ????

5 hours ago, bobfish said:

Well done Sam, enjoy your riding and climbing around CM.

.....and of course you do your 3 Cat1 climbs after 3000+ km in the preceding 3 weeks and 10's of thousands of vertical metres. But not at race pace of course! ????

I don't know what your race pace is, but my race pace involves stopping for a virtual cigarette and a bit of a wheeze whenever the gradient gets over 10%.  On the upward direction, at least.

Archived