Swiss Tourist Leaps To Certain Death From 56th Floor

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: February 9th 2007

Photographs: courtesy of A.N. Starr

SWISS TOURIST LEAPS FROM ROOF OF PATTAYA PARK BEACH RESORT

Willi Elmar Zahner (49), a Swiss national leapt to his death from the 56th Floor (the roof) of Pattaya Park Beach Resort on February 8th at somewhere round about 5 pm, slightly before the roof was closed to spectators. Police Lieutenant General Apimook Amnardmankong from Dong Tarn Police Sub Station was the senior officer who attended the incident, along with a doctor from Banglamung Hospital and the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Team, after having been notified of the suicide.

They inspected the roof which has the famous Sky Jump, though Mr. Zahner had merely leapt from the roof, not the Sky Jump. Following this, they went to examine the body which had landed in the car park though he had missed falling on top of any of the cars. Mr. Zahner had died instantly upon reaching the ground and had broken virtually every bone in his body.

On his person, they discovered his passport, a pack of cigarettes and a 200 Baht ticket for sightseeing from the top of Pattaya Park Beach Resort Tower. The hotel security officer pointed out that Mr. Zahner had not been a guest at the hotel, but had merely come to sightsee.

The hotel security officer said he had seen Mr. Zahner earlier, about 4 pm, and he had had a long face, obviously being highly concerned about something. The Swiss person had not spoken to any of the other spectators on the rooftop, which had few spectators at the time, between 4 and 5 pm.

The hotel security officer said one minute the guy had been standing on the parapet, near the edge, the next he had dived off as though he had been a competitor in a diving competition. The police do not know any details of the dead man apart from his name and nationality and have no idea what impelled him to jump.

Ever since it was built, Pattaya Park Tower has been a favourite jumping platform for farang suicides.

The police are pursuing their enquiries regarding this case.

I have a view of that tower. I guess I should look out the window more often.

I do think this was a smart man. At least he had an instant demise. People who jump from low floors should have their head examined.

BTW: Is it jumping season again?

Edited by Jingthing

The hotel security officer pointed out that Mr. Zahner had not been a guest at the hotel, but had merely come to sightsee.

Now, he may not have been a guest at the hotel, but do you REALLY think he "merely came to sightsee"? :o

The hotel security officer pointed out that Mr. Zahner had not been a guest at the hotel, but had merely come to sightsee.

Now, he may not have been a guest at the hotel, but do you REALLY think he "merely came to sightsee"? :o

Oh, yes, indeed he did.

He came.

He saw.

He concussed.

I do think this was a smart man. At least he had an instant demise. People who jump from low floors should have their head examined.

thats like asking if its sex tourist season. 365 days a year in pattaya

Do you mean before or after the jump.

terrible and so tragic.

Maybe he could have been stopped if there was any kind of organisation out there he could have turned to for help and advice? :D

Thank's Mobi; at least one is paying respect to the dead of this unlucky Men. Many tall buildings outside Thailand have Securitynets; so People can not jump that easy. It would protect People down there too; as People who are ready to jump don't care anymore. But they are mentally deranged.

For the Rest of you; what a sas life must u have; making just Jokes about this. I know it happens very often that People jump from Buildings in Pattaya. Still no reason to write stupid stuff about it. It's sad enough that People have to go that way. And yes; I do understand black humor. But at least you could pay some respect too. :o

RIP my unknown Friend

No photos, I guess they'd have needed a very wide angle lens :o

I will never understand what makes people take this extremely asocial way out. Never mind what they do to themselves, but they may kill or maim others by landing on them and I'm sure anyone watching this could have some bad dreams for some time after. Respect for this? Why?

Specially since it is so easy to get any kind of drug over the counter here, why don't they just OD out of it, clean and considerate...

Edited by Phil Conners

I will never understand what makes people take this extremely asocial way out. Never mind what they do to themselves, but they may kill or maim others by landing on them and I'm sure anyone watching this could have some bad dreams for some time after. Respect for this? Why?

Specially since it is so easy to get any kind of drug over the counter here, why don't they just OD out of it, clean and considerate...

I share your thought that it is impolite to off yourself this way. Scaring the kiddies and all that. However, I do believe you are very mistaken about how easy it is to commit suicide by medication. First of all, the most efficient of those kinds of meds need a scrip in Thailand, and second of all, people don't realize how hard it is to do that and how common it is for either it to cause brain and body damage instead (without death, so you end up worse), vomiting out the meds is a natural defense, being discovered, or chickening out and calling for help (again then severe brain and body damage). I think people who really wish to commit suicide should have a doctor they can go to for counseling, then if they still don't change their minds, they are given the proper pills. Of course, that won't happen, so we get all these nasty messes.

I share your thought that it is impolite to off yourself this way. Scaring the kiddies and all that. However, I do believe you are very mistaken about how easy it is to commit suicide by medication. First of all, the most efficient of those kinds of meds need a scrip in Thailand, and second of all, people don't realize how hard it is to do that and how common it is for either it to cause brain and body damage instead (without death, so you end up worse), vomiting out the meds is a natural defense, being discovered, or chickening out and calling for help (again then severe brain and body damage). I think people who really wish to commit suicide should have a doctor they can go to for counseling, then if they still don't change their minds, they are given the proper pills. Of course, that won't happen, so we get all these nasty messes.

see euthanasiaclinic.com and other euthanasia related web sites advocating personal choices in dying. there are easy and legal ways that do not cause others to be imperiled and that are certain to be effective in causing a peaceful and painless death.

leaping from a building is not a quick way to go. the higher the building the longer you have to think, 'ooops, this was a bad idea' before sudden impact. i noticed a story awhile back that described the jumper as having broken wrists. that comes from trying to put on the brakes too late.

think about what you're doing before you do it, not afterwards. death comes to us all. euthanasia sites recognize this and try to help those who need to make appropriate plans for a peaceful and painless death.

... had merely leapt from the roof, not the Sky Jump...

Could someone clue me in? Is the Sky Jump a diving board, or a spot on the roof with a sign, "Jumpers Queue Here?" :o

No disrespect meant to the deceased of this terrible tragedy, but the news article is irritatingly vague to throw a term in there that only "the initiated" would recognize.

Edited by toptuan