Rebuilding shocks and CV joints.

ClareQuilty

Several Thai friends have recommended that in the case of very old cheap, high mileage vehicles, that I have the shocks and CV joints "rebuilt", rather than installing new parts. Has anyone here tried this? I've been told it's much cheaper (for example ~700 baht to rebuild a front shock compared to 1,600 for new). 

Shocks I would certainly consider, clean, new seals and oil, job done. I did motorcycle forks and shocks a lot in my (much) younger days. 

CV joints are more risky since they are metal to metal wear, replacing the balls/cage would certainly give a new lease of life but unlikely to be of "new" standard.

rzeppa1.gif

Interesting read here for those who don't know :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

and a video:-

Of course all types of shocks and the way they fit will relate to their cost. My Vigo rear stock oil filled shocks were replaced with gas shocks, they looked exactly the same. Cost with fitting was 880 bht each, but it was an easy 10 minute job per side..

1 minute ago, ClareQuilty said:

Thanks for the comments guys. It's an early 90s Champ, dunno what that means about the shocks, but from the way it rides they must be original. I've no quote on new or rebuilt CV joints, only on shocks. 

Shock absorber's have a life span, they never stop working until the moment you park up..

I would guess most will be stuffed at 100kkm...

• 1 month later...

Got one new CV joint and two new rear shocks - total 2500 baht. Drives fine now. Been driving the heck out of it for a couple weeks, but then just today after a big thunderstorm and cooler weather it wouldn't start. Turned over but wouldn't catch - maybe the LPG is reluctant when cool and wet out. Rather than kill the battery trying I decided to try again tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, ClareQuilty said:

Got one new CV joint and two new rear shocks - total 2500 baht. Drives fine now. Been driving the heck out of it for a couple weeks, but then just today after a big thunderstorm and cooler weather it wouldn't start. Turned over but wouldn't catch - maybe the LPG is reluctant when cool and wet out. Rather than kill the battery trying I decided to try again tomorrow. 

Morning CQ ... you got a black cat by any chance ...

On 9/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, ClareQuilty said:

(for example ~700 baht to rebuild a front shock compared to 1,600 for new). 

I think you better find some new friends, just replaced my isuzu truck shocks 830B each rear 1070B each front. KYB brand. And no you can not rebuild auto shocks they are sealed units. Maybe they mean we will put another old worn out shock on your car and tell you we rebuilt it.

4 minutes ago, Notagain said:

I think you better find some new friends, just replaced my isuzu truck shocks 830B each rear 1070B each front. KYB brand. And no you can not rebuild auto shocks they are sealed units. Maybe they mean we will put another old worn out shock on your car and tell you we rebuilt it.

I believe if a car has McPherson struts some do have a rebuild kit...

7 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Yes you can replace the cartridge and spring but then you are spending the same amount of money plus labor or more taking it apart instead of just buying a new assembly.

I recall doing the job for a pal many years back on a Datsun...????....A 6 pot 2ltr I fink..

6 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Auto parts today are like anything else they are too cheap to mess around with rebuilding and a new part has a warranty, my bad, not in thailand.

My Vigo alternator packed up, replacement was 10,000bht...Place we know charged 3,500bht to replace all the tech stuff AND fit a smaller pulley to increase charge at low rpm...They KNEW my ride being auto constantly using low rpm can be a ploblem...????

1 hour ago, transam said:

My Vigo alternator packed up, replacement was 10,000bht...Place we know charged 3,500bht to replace all the tech stuff AND fit a smaller pulley to increase charge at low rpm...They KNEW my ride being auto constantly using low rpm can be a ploblem...????

Did it have Battery with correct Amp Hour to suit Alternator.?. Or one too big.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

Did it have Battery with correct Amp Hour to suit Alternator.?. Or one too big.

All was stock, shop said because autos used consistently low rpm it can cause a charge ploblem....On my fun ride I increased the pulley diameter to slow it down.....

9 hours ago, Notagain said:

a new part has a warranty, my bad, not in thailand.

Put new KYB struts in the NV this year, made in Japan, came with one year warranty.

Shop even filled out the card and stamped it.

You need to find a competent place to do your repairs.

Archived