Reentereing Thailand with new passport

I will be reentering Thailand with a new passport next month. My old passport with the reentry stamp and retirement extension will not be cancelled though (old passport still valid till end of 2020), in Germany they allow me to keep both passports at the same time. So in this case, would it be better to

1. reenter Thailand with the old passport, get the entry stamp in the old passport, go to the German consulate in Pattaya to get a confirmation letter that visa and stamps need to be transferred, take both passports to Jomtien immigration and have visa and stamps transferred to new passport.

or

2. show the Immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi both passports, get the entry stamp in the new passport. I assume in this case I could have visa and stamps transferred at Jomtien Immigration without having to get a letter from the consulate first??

As I said in a previous similar post, I used my old (thought I had lost it but hadn't) to re-enter in July. Took both passports to Immigration in Phitsanulok, and within 10 minutes everything was transferred, no Consulate and no charge.

• Like 1

I would say using both passports when you enter the country would be best since your passport was issued outside of Thailand and then go to immigration to have you stamps transferred.

If your old passport has not been canceled they may question you about that. They are accustomed to seeing the old passport has been canceled.

Yes I know it's not a problem to get visa and stamps transferred to the new passport. But my question is can I avoid going to the German consulate here in Pattaya to get a confirmation letter if I have the immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi put the entry stamp in the new passport instead of the old one...

On 9/15/2018 at 6:01 PM, wgdanson said:

As I said in a previous similar post, I used my old (thought I had lost it but hadn't) to re-enter in July. Took both passports to Immigration in Phitsanulok, and within 10 minutes everything was transferred, no Consulate and no charge.

Some immigration offices want a letter from the consulate asking the immigration office's cooperation in transferring stamps from the old passport to the new one, others don't, but this is the case with a new passport issued in Thailand. I don't think I've ever seen a case mentioned with a new passport issued outside Thailand and specifically involving the Pattaya immigration office.

On 9/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, lukethailand1 said:

in Germany they allow me to keep both passports at the same time

You can keep the old passport, but they will cut off the edges of the id page, so it is no longer valid and you can't use it to enter Thailand

Edited by jackdd

On 9/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, lukethailand1 said:

in Germany they allow me to keep both passports at the same time.

Do they actually allow you to USE both passports?

I'm assuming the old passport is full.

I would go the two passports on entry route. Certainly take both passports to immigration next time you extend and invalidate your old one by snipping a corner of the cover (don't snip the actual pages).

• Like 1

they allowed you to keep both passports and use both? Thats not what has happened to me in this case. Im from Germany too btw. They cut the edges of the other passport so only one at time can be active. And so far thats what i thought is normal since the women inside told me in Germany one can only have one passport. Though they gave me the old one and said i should carry this with me when going to Thailand. There was no retirement visa involved though.

Edited by Saenchai

11 hours ago, lukethailand1 said:

Yes I know it's not a problem to get visa and stamps transferred to the new passport. But my question is can I avoid going to the German consulate here in Pattaya to get a confirmation letter if I have the immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi put the entry stamp in the new passport instead of the old one...

I think the answer should be that no stamp transfer will be needed until you want to apply for a further extension of your permission of stay based on retirement. At that point, you will need to have the original entry stamp and the previous extension stamps transferred. Regardless, I do not believe the re-entry permit will ever be transferred from your old to your new passport, so both passports will need to be used for trips in and out of Thailand until you get a new re-entry permit.

No 2 is correct.I entered last Monday, got new passport in UK.Put re-entry permit No on TM6 stamped in on new Passport.I had to get pro-forma letter from UK Embassy Bangkok, (Sent to my address by EMS) Then collect form from front desk at Jomtien immigration Copy picture page old passport copy extension + re-entry page + original O visa.Copy picture page New Passport +entry stamp and copy of TM6.All done Friday morning,pick up today at 2pm. (No Charge)