BANGKOK 24 March 2019 17:56
rooster59

Giving Underprivileged Children in Thailand a Chance

Giving Underprivileged Children in Thailand a Chance

By Dan Cheeseman

handtohand.jpeg

Hands up I can be selfish and consumed only in what I am doing, but I think we can all fall victim of this, and it is a shame. We all make ourselves too busy each day as we fill our days with work and other such tasks. Some people however, and these are very few, spend their time going out of the way to help others.

Margaret Grainger is such a person. In 2010 she opened the Hand to Hand foundation in Pattaya which is absolutely reliant on donations. Hand2Hands objective is to help Thai children who were either abandoned or where their families have little to no money.

Her story is inspirational and quite remarkable. I met with Margaret and was quite amazed at just how much her foundation now does for underprivileged children in Pattaya.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/09/14/giving-underprivileged-children-in-thailand-a-chance/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

My family and I made our regular visit to the local orphanage in Chiang Mai to hand out some goodies to brighten up the kids’ lives, the look on their faces makes it all worthwhile.

I would urge all of you to support your local childcare facilities by visiting and donating, not necessarily money as that can be diverted, but better food and toys, that you can see given  directly to the kids. Unlike many Western countries, social services are not well developed here and the poor kids need help.

We do the same for an orphanage in Nakhon Sawan. We give them food, toys and arrange for an ice cream vendor to attend. Good advice about cash donations as they can get misdirected.

We also try and support this charity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Children's_Trust

• Like 1

In Jakarta, a few of us from the US Embassy would visit the only Christian Orphanage in the area.  We would show up with car loads of clothes rice, and powdered milk, baby formula and cook a Saturday Lunch for them, play with the kids etc etc etc.  When I asked why don't we donate money, I was told the money would just disappear.  There were over two hundred kids in that Orphanage.  Months later an American matron was arrested for selling new born kids (some of the young girls were raped in the villages and would come to the orphanage to have their kids.)  We weren't allowed to visit the Muslim orphanages, they were afraid we would try to convert their 'charges'   Too bad  -  They Were Kids!!  Not indoctrinated grownups.

• Like 1

Many orphanages including the one I donate to have a website that lists their needs. I generally print out the list before shopping and never donate cash as I also believe it is too easily diverted.

15 hours ago, DJ54 said:

How do find these in Northeast

Anyone?

I live in Udon, & would like to know.

15 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

In Jakarta, a few of us from the US Embassy would visit the only Christian Orphanage in the area.  We would show up with car loads of clothes rice, and powdered milk, baby formula and cook a Saturday Lunch for them, play with the kids etc etc etc.  When I asked why don't we donate money, I was told the money would just disappear.  There were over two hundred kids in that Orphanage.  Months later an American matron was arrested for selling new born kids (some of the young girls were raped in the villages and would come to the orphanage to have their kids.)  We weren't allowed to visit the Muslim orphanages, they were afraid we would try to convert their 'charges'   Too bad  -  They Were Kids!!  Not indoctrinated grownups.

So, the moral: Beware Christians matrons bearing gifts. Beware all those who believe in a sky god. Mentally disturbed.

• Like 1

We regularly donate to the orphanage at Wat Don Chan in Chiang Mai. The monks and the kids know us there now. Usually food, sometimes clothing and shoes and this New Year’s Day (amongst other things)...

E860299C-7C95-4B0E-8DB8-C9EDD460B6EB.jpeg

We had a yearly open House for 2 Mini Bus loads years back. Never got through so many broken toilet seats, Band Aids, Kids falling in the Pool, general Mayhem, but they loved it. Like many it closed.We lost a Mini Bus, it disappeared too.!. Theres allways one who abuses a charity im affraid.